Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best trusted storage for backup? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

best trusted storage for backup?

Comments

• uzaysanuzaysan Member
    edited August 2020

I'm using B2 BackBlaze. Its one of the cheapest option(0,005$ per GB) in market and has 99.9 SLA.
    Edit: Its also S3 compatible

• Shh. 😉
    I'm still waiting for.a client to wake up, get to his pc and order the darn thing.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Shazan Max 750GB upload per account per day.

No session limit (that I've found).

I have mine mounted with rclone and write the full xtradb backup (ibdata etc), then download (stream) that to generate a .sql backup on a different server, I also periodically download that (stream) so that automated validation can run. Never had issues with limits.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @SplitIce said:

Also, supposedly 10TB download limit per day.

Thanked by 2Shazan RedSox
  • @SplitIce said:

No session limit (that I've found).

I have mine mounted with rclone and write the full xtradb backup (ibdata etc), then download (stream) that to generate a .sql backup on a different server, I also periodically download that (stream) so that automated validation can run. Never had issues with limits.

Also, Autorclone can by pass 750GB/day limit.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited August 2020

@uzaysan said: I'm using B2 BackBlaze. Its one of the cheapest option(0,005$ per GB) in market and has 99.9 SLA.

Edit: Its also S3 compatible

Me as well, for home backups.

Only thing I don't like is that on VPS backups, if someone compromises your VPS, it's trivial for them to also nuke your B2 backups. This is a common weakness for all push-based backup schemes.

• @raindog308 said: This is a common weakness for all push-based backup schemes.

The trick is to use append only backups like with Borg. Plus of course snapshots that are immutable.

Not to say be lax about security, but there are options that can protect one from oneself and inane stupidity is far more probable than something sinister.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ChronicChronic Member
    edited August 2020

@raindog308 said: Only thing I don't like is that on VPS backups, if someone compromises your VPS, it's trivial for them to also nuke your B2 backups. This is a common weakness for all push-based backup schemes.

Can't you just solve this with file versioning and limited access permissions on the API keys? Can also set up lifecycle rules to trash old versions as necessary, so your bills are not astronomical. Depending on the backup method you're using, it might be that multiple versions are not created during normal operation anyway.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@nullnothere said: The trick is to use append only backups like with Borg. Plus of course snapshots that are immutable.

I really should have said "potential weakness". Yes, there are ways around this. You can setup backups so you can drop off files and then have a system that sweeps them into a place the user can't touch, or give the user write but not delete permission, etc.

@Chronic said: Can't you just solve this with file versioning and limited access permissions on the API keys? Can also set up lifecycle rules to trash old versions as necessary, so your bills are not astronomical. Depending on the backup method you're using, it might be that multiple versions are not created during normal operation anyway.

That's a good point - you can grant "deleteBuckets, deleteFiles, deleteKeys, listBuckets, listFiles, listKeys, readFiles, shareFiles, writeBuckets, writeFiles, writeKeys" so presumably removing the delete* permissions would fix this problem. I think I'll give this a try and get out of having to run my own backup servers to backup my VPSes.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@dosai said: Also, Autorclone can by pass 750GB/day limit.

I'd say poor Google, but lets be honest here... they are making record profits currently.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:
    I'm currently using 1Fichier for backup. Pretty reliable and amazingly cheap, if basic backup and storage is what you need. They are, however, not like S3 or B2 which provide many APIs and functions.

I think @Ympker is more familiar with these backup storage providers.

Thanks for the mention!
    1Fichier would definitely be an affordable, solid pickpick :)

It also comes with some nice API functions, althoufh others have played more with that than I did.

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:
    I'm currently using 1Fichier for backup. Pretty reliable and amazingly cheap, if basic backup and storage is what you need. They are, however, not like S3 or B2 which provide many APIs and functions.

Thanks for the mention!

It also comes with some nice API functions, althoufh others have played more with that than I did.

I read somewhere that any storage > 2TB would require additional plan for cold storage?

• @Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

I read somewhere that any storage > 2TB would require additional plan for cold storage?

Yes, more than 2TB cold storage (60+ days) costs extra. Extends to +1€/GB/month. Might be that there is an annual discount for that, too.

• TejyTejy Member

@Ympker said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

Yes, more than 2TB cold storage (60+ days) costs extra. Extends to +1€/GB/month. Might be that there is an annual discount for that, too.

Scaleway C14 Cold Storage = €2/TB/month ex. traffic

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2020

@Tejy said:

@Ympker said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

Those here that use more than 2TB probably don't pay the extra 1€/month. You get unlimited "hot storage" (files touched every 59 days), so certain LET members have built scripts to download files via API once ever so often so it still counts as hot storage :)

This way you only pay the regular premium price.

• @Ympker said:

@Tejy said:

@Ympker said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

Those here that use more than 2TB probably don't pay the extra 1€/month. You get unlimited "hot storage" (files touched every 59 days), so certain LET members have built scripts to download files via API once ever so often so it still counts as hot storage :)

There is also problem of using it with rclone. There is a rate limit error when using rclone even with the latest beta. I think it's not best suited for several files of smaller size.

• @Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@Tejy said:

@Ympker said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

There is also problem of using it with rclone. There is a rate limit error when using rclone even with the latest beta. I think it's not best suited for several files of smaller size.

I believe you could use --tpslimit and --tpslimit-burst flag to avoid rate limit.

• @chocolateshirt said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@Tejy said:

@Ympker said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

I believe you could use --tpslimit and --tpslimit-burst flag to avoid rate limit.

Did try that but still throws the error.

• @Galeej said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@Tejy said:

@Ympker said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

Did try that but still throws the error.

May I know what is your tpslimit value?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2020

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@Tejy said:

@Ympker said:

@Galeej said:

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

@Ympker said:

@dedipromo said:

Thanks for the mention!

It's certainly not built nor priced to be used what I'd call "comfortably". If I did not have Koofr Lifetime, I'd still have my sub though.

• @vimalware said:
    You can't beat gsuite business if you have over 1.8TB.
    8 Eur flat fee per month(single gsuite business ac) lets you upload 4TB easy.

As I understand almost everyone use the crypt module with Rclone for e2e.
    https://rclone.org/crypt/

Is it still actual? Because as far as I see they offer 1TB for 8 euro.

• @desperand said:

@vimalware said:
    You can't beat gsuite business if you have over 1.8TB.
    8 Eur flat fee per month(single gsuite business ac) lets you upload 4TB easy.

Is it still actual? Because as far as I see they offer 1TB for 8 euro.

Should be fine as long as you're not being a sociopath and uploading more than 10TB.

I mean it's fantastic for tertiary backups if you DO intend to abuse the non-existent storage limitations on single ac.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • @vimalware said: Should be fine as long as you're not being a sociopath and uploading more than 10TB.

I mean, it's fantastic for tertiary backups if you DO intend to abuse the non-existent storage limitations on single ac.

I have around 2-3TB of data that will be stored.
    Do I need to buy their gsuite, which costs $10.5, right?
    And pay only 10 dollars, instead of $50, correct?
    Or do I need to create technically five different accounts?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

"Privacy" - Simply do not trust anyone. Encrypt your data locally on the fly.
    "Availability" for storage/backup actually has two factors, (a) availability (as in "you can get at your data/reliably upload"), and (b) durability which describes the storage itself (as in "your data will not be corrupted or lost").

For good availability you want at least 4 nines (99.99%) and for durability you want at least 6 nines (99.9999%).And yes, that also means that Raided drives alone don't cut it; you want some kind of erasure coding too.

If a provider doesn't provide durability info you shouldn't consider him to be a reliable storage provider.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited August 2020

@vimalware said:
    Nothing is perfectly secure except a dedi. Technically it is possible for the root@hypervisor to find your luks keys in ram, but I wouldn't call it a feasible task exactly for 99.9%

@jbuggie said:

@vimalware said:
    Nothing is perfectly secure except a dedi. Technically it is possible for the root@hypervisor to find your luks keys in ram, but I wouldn't call it a feasible task exactly for 99.9%

It's actually pretty straight-forward to extract the LUKS master key from VPS memory dump...just a little time consuming. Therefore, it a host/hacker is determined, a fully encrypted VPS could be cracked. It's less likely to be accessed than the plain VPSes with OS pre-installed by the host.

FWIW, Ubuntu/debian/arch and likes do not create fully encrypted installations. With the typical LVM over LUKS config, the /boot partition is usually plain ext3/4. In this case, it's easier to just inject a trojan into the initrd img to gain access.

I guess dedicated server/fully encrypted would be a step up in protection. Is it still hack-able by someone with physical access? Probably

Doesn't AMD Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV) fix that issue ?

https://developer.amd.com/sev/

P.S. We are waitng for ubuntu 20.10 full zfs

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2020

@coolice said:
    Doesn't AMD Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV) fix that issue ?

Not really, see -> https://thehackernews.com/2020/08/foreshadow-processor-vulnerability.html

Thanked by 1coolice
  • nbnnbn Member

Nexusbytes.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Heard of and planning to try AWS S3 Glacier deep archive. $1/TB

• @Galeej said: deep

@Galeej said:
    Heard of and planning to try AWS S3 Glacier deep archive. $1/TB

Most people will pay $.004 per Gb or $4/TB. At that rate, you'll be better off with B2.

• @vimalware said:
    Yes of course. Just install OS with the debian/netbooot installer iso(called alternate ..
    Ubuntu 20.04 may not fully support the debian installer. Although a link to it exists in my bookmarks.

Can you please share the bookmark.

Also, I am saving this comment and next time when I am ready to setup my VPS from scratch (as of now there's almost full 500GB is filled) I will try this approach. Appreciate it!