Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

password manager that works on all ? Free open source? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

password manager that works on all ? Free open source?

2»

Comments

• OujiOuji Member

@vimalware said: WAT. That is too premium. I just lost all curiosity in trying it.

I'll stick with decade old systen: KeepassXC with db file synced by seafileCE (1gb ram vps will do it). I used to use Dropbox until 2018 for the sync.

You could always try bitwardenrs which should be able to run in a 256MB VPS, perhaps even 128MB, but I've never tried it.

Thanked by 1muffin
  • fendixfendix Member

I can recommend Hetzner cloud for approx €3/mo.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    • 1 bitwarden, great product and project
  • lowfanlowfan Member

Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@lowfan said: Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

And your recommendation therefore is...?

• lowfanlowfan Member
    edited July 2020

@raindog308 said:

@lowfan said: Strange I disagree that bitwarden is that much great.

And your recommendation therefore is...?

I use keepassx for windows and mac, I used keepassdroid for android, right now still on minikeepass on my iphone all in cloud and I tell you something if even my whole passwords are stolen mostly they can't use it . Why? because my passwords have characters that look something but in my mind, I interpret it something else :) Security all the way :)

• muffinmuffin Member

@RedSox said:

@muffin said: I’m running bitwarden_rs instead of the official one for myself, and I find it very lightweight

How much RAM does it take?

I’m running bitwarden_rs along with other docker containers on a 1GB vps for 5 users. I think it will work on a 256MB vps just fine.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • @lowfan said:

What did you not like about Bitwarden?
    It's open source and have a good reputation when it comes to security and privacy.
    You don't even have to self-host.
    If you're paranoid, don't use the web vault, because the only damage I could see happening is if somehow Bitwarden get hacked and the hackers (or even a rogue developer) replace the web vault with a one that captures your password in plain-text, as that could easily go unnoticed.
    Instead use their desktop/mobile applications and don't update them until you make sure the new versions are clean.
    Also take regular backups of your vault using Bitwarden CLI, it's pretty easy to use.
    I'd suggest storing the backup file to an encrypted volume as they only provide unencrypted backup currently.
    To me, that seems pretty convenient and safe in the same time.

• lowfanlowfan Member

@lokuzard said:

@lowfan said:

Instead use their desktop/mobile applications and don't update them until you make sure the new versions are clean.

I installed the desktop but to be able to use it I need to connect to online account. Can you please clarify ?

• GaleejGaleej Member

@lowfan said:

@lokuzard said:

@lowfan said:

I installed the desktop but to be able to use it I need to connect to online account. Can you please clarify ?

Yes you need to enter your login to use it.