Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Exactly OVH Cloud Billing works?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How Exactly OVH Cloud Billing works?

yokowasisyokowasis Member
edited July 2020 in General

Contacted support and they said I need to pay $30 for just creating a project. It means if I create instance within that project I need to pay additional amount for that instance. Is this how it is?

I never encounter this kind of billing before. Every cloud provider I tried allowed me to create a project for free. DO, Vultr, Even Google allowed me to create projects for free.

Does that mean if I create 5 projects I need to paid $150 Just for the "setup" fee 🤔?

Can someone tell me if this is the way it works or the support just doesn't know how to explain things?

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

paypal requires $30 deposit. this is going toward your.

valid 3d secure credit card (CREDIT card, not prepaid, not debit, ...) requires no deposit.

• FalzoFalzo Member

no. with a validated payment method e.g. CC on file I get an invoice at the end of month with which I get billed for what I used based on hourly pricing.

only instances which you switch to monthly are billed upfront - either with that same invoice or the moment you switch or create it with monthly billing.

I guess the $30 is either one time credit thing to get you started or could be the if you don't have a validated payment method on file...

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited July 2020

@hzr said:

Your ?

@Falzo said:
    no. with a validated payment method e.g. CC on file I get an invoice at the end of month with which I get billed for what I used based on hourly pricing.

only instances which you switch to monthly are billed upfront - either with that same invoice or the moment you switch or create it with monthly billing.

I guess the $30 is either one time credit thing to get you started or could be the if you don't have a validated payment method on file...

Yes, at first I actually think it this way, because well, this is a common practice for a cloud provider. I even ask the support about it, but the support keep insisting that's not it (the credit).

My Ticket Titled (Already Paid Using Paypal, but no Balance).

Me :
    Okay, just recheck it. And you were right. So where does that money go? I though it was going into the balance to pay for my cloud service. Which is apparently not.

You refer to order 9716151, what order is this? And where can I see it? Because I only see 1 service and it's not getting paid. 

OVH Sales:
    Hello,

At the moment, you have already paid 30.00 USD for the public cloud project and the payment has already been registered. However, you have an outstanding amount of 2.46 USD which is the prorata charge for the cloud instance "s1-2 cloud instance ".

The order 9716151 is the order number which gets automatically generated when you make the payment. It's for our reference. You can see the order BC 9716145 from the invoice:PA_ASIA17385.

Me :
    Yeah. But what do I paid that for? Because your last screenahot service only cost $2.5 instead of $30.

OVH Sales:
    Hello,

You paid 30.00 USD for the cloud project and within this project you can create many instances. Here you have created an instance s1-2instance for which you will need to pay a prorata amount of 2.46 USD.

Me :
    So basically, I pay $30 for the account? 

OVH Sales:
    Yes, basically you paid 30.00 USD for the cloud project and you will need to pay 2.46 USD for the instance.

Never have I ever encounter any cloud provider that charge you per project. That's why when the support mentioned I paid $30 just for the privilege to create a (1) project, I am stunned. Perhaps OVH Representative on LET can take a chime.

• Do you mean deposit?

• Hmm > @yokowasis said:

@hzr said:

Your ?

@Falzo said:

Yes, at first I actually think it this way, because well, this is a common practice for a cloud provider. I even ask the support about it, but the support keep insisting that's not it (the credit).

My Ticket Titled (Already Paid Using Paypal, but no Balance).

Me :
    Okay, just recheck it. And you were right. So where does that money go? I though it was going into the balance to pay for my cloud service. Which is apparently not.

You refer to order 9716151, what order is this? And where can I see it? Because I only see 1 service and it's not getting paid. 

OVH Sales:
    Hello,

At the moment, you have already paid 30.00 USD for the public cloud project and the payment has already been registered. However, you have an outstanding amount of 2.46 USD which is the prorata charge for the cloud instance "s1-2 cloud instance ".

The order 9716151 is the order number which gets automatically generated when you make the payment. It's for our reference. You can see the order BC 9716145 from the invoice:PA_ASIA17385.

Me :
    Yeah. But what do I paid that for? Because your last screenahot service only cost $2.5 instead of $30.

OVH Sales:
    Hello,

You paid 30.00 USD for the cloud project and within this project you can create many instances. Here you have created an instance s1-2instance for which you will need to pay a prorata amount of 2.46 USD.

Me :
    So basically, I pay $30 for the account? 

OVH Sales:
    Yes, basically you paid 30.00 USD for the cloud project and you will need to pay 2.46 USD for the instance.

Never have I ever encounter any cloud provider that charge you per project. That's why when the support mentioned I paid $30 just for the privilege to create a (1) project, I am stunned. Perhaps OVH Representative on LET can take a chime.

This is weird billing structure if that is the case.

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Do you mean deposit?

Yes, I though at first, it is deposit / credit / balance, or something like that. But apparently it's not. That $30 is the cost of creating a project, without any instance. Because you need to pay the instance separately. Which doesn't make any sense. What happen if you don't like the project ? You delete it and create another project, and pay another additional $30 ?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@yokowasis said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    Do you mean deposit?

Yes, I though at first, it is deposit / credit / balance, or something like that. But apparently it's not. That $30 is the cost of creating a project, without any instance. Because you need to pay the instance separately. Which doesn't make any sense. What happen if you don't like the project ? You delete it and create another project, and pay another additional $30 ?

that really seems weird, and never happened to me (yet) - what branch of OVH are you registered with and which region are you using? I think I remember that there are different places where you see/manage account credits, I will check...

I can only confirm that for quite some time, even if you had a validated payment method, you would need to pay the pro-rated individually each time you order something new - however I now have a button on the order page where I can click on 'use payment method' ...

maybe check if there is something, where your $30 pop up or where it says 'use account credit' ?
    I could imagine, if you don't have a credit card on file they want $30 per new project as credit upfront, however I would expect to have it booked somewhere and then be usable.

maybe you could ask support again if that's kind of deposit for as long as the project exists and what happens if you end/close the project?

TL;DR; rather put a credit card on file and validate it :|

• ovh cloud is not clear about the add fund and payment system issues

• FalzoFalzo Member

I just checked again, and you should see all invoices and order from here: https://www.ovh.com/manager/dedicated/#/useraccount/dashboard

under the payment methods there is also a tab for 'prepaid account' and credits... the $30 should up there somewhere.
    the only thing I could imagine is, that they use the prepaid amount only for the automated monthly bills, but if you create a new instance you need to pay the pro-rata'd amount individually at the time of ordering.

• @Falzo said:
    I just checked again, and you should see all invoices and order from here: https://www.ovh.com/manager/dedicated/#/useraccount/dashboard

under the payment methods there is also a tab for 'prepaid account' and credits... the $30 should up there somewhere.
    the only thing I could imagine is, that they use the prepaid amount only for the automated monthly bills, but if you create a new instance you need to pay the pro-rata'd amount individually at the time of ordering.

My prepaid account balance said 0.

@OVH_APAC , @ninzo59

• My prepaid account balance said 0.

@OVH_APAC , @ninzo59

I made double payments automatically and manually but only one was recorded
    it's my mistake

so if the payment is automatic, do not try to pay manually, also do not try to add funds. because it might be unrecorded

• @Falzo said:

in lowend deposit on paypal, so add fund will be secure B)

• OVH_APACOVH_APAC Member, Patron Provider

Hello @yokowasis ,
    Seems there is some confusion here but let me attempt to clarify:
    When creating a public cloud project at OVHcloud you will be required to provide a valid payment method.

• if you choose credit card, you won't be required to pre-pay credit and you are billed at the end of each month for your cloud usage on your credit card.
    • if you choose paypal, you will be required to pre-pay some credit (30 USD in your case to get started),and this public cloud credit is valid 13 months. At the end of the month we will use your prepaid credit first to pay your cloud usage, then we will debit out of your payment method (paypal).

Where to see (and add) public cloud credit?
    In your control panel, you need to go to the "Public cloud" tab at the top (Dedicated is for other products!)
    Then within your public cloud project, go to "credit and voucher on the left-hand side menu). https://pasteboard.co/JjvC4Tl.png

Hope this helps

• @OVH_APAC said:
    Hello @yokowasis ,
    Seems there is some confusion here but let me attempt to clarify:
    When creating a public cloud project at OVHcloud you will be required to provide a valid payment method.

• if you choose credit card, you won't be required to pre-pay credit and you are billed at the end of each month for your cloud usage on your credit card.
    • if you choose paypal, you will be required to pre-pay some credit (30 USD in your case to get started),and this public cloud credit is valid 13 months. At the end of the month we will use your prepaid credit first to pay your cloud usage, then we will debit out of your payment method (paypal).

Where to see (and add) public cloud credit?
    In your control panel, you need to go to the "Public cloud" tab at the top (Dedicated is for other products!)
    Then within your public cloud project, go to "credit and voucher on the left-hand side menu). https://pasteboard.co/JjvC4Tl.png

Hope this helps

Yes I though so. I choose PayPal. I prepaid the $30. The support failed to point me to the right direction on where to see my credit / balance and instead give a totally wrong information.

Now I can see my credit. How I use it to pay for my outstanding invoice? Because the support insist me to pay the invoice using PayPal.

• This is the latest reply from the support.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting OVHcloud support.

As per the billing team, there were a delay in adding the public cloud credit to your account and as a result we could not debit an amount of $2.46 for the instance automatically from the Public cloud credit voucher. Since there is no way to have this due amount paid off with the public cloud credit amount now, we request you to settle the due amount using PayPal or credit card . Also, we assure you that from now onward, whenever a new invoice gets generated, the amount will be debited automatically from your public cloud credit voucher provided you have the balance in your credit voucher.

We are really sorry for the misunderstanding. You don't have to pay $30.00 each time for the project. You only need to pay for the instance you create and the amount would be deducted from your public cloud credit balance.

I guess it's clear now.

Thanked by 1OVH_APAC
  • xaocxaoc Member

So what happens to said credit on the first day of the 14th month?

• I bilieve this is just new control panel issue in ovh cloud... the money is save. as it should be

• @xaoc said:
    So what happens to said credit on the first day of the 14th month?

I believe its expired.