Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question regarding a domain registration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question regarding a domain registration

Hi

The other day, I tried to register an available domain (6/4/20), namecheap, order when thru, everything seemed fine, except I get refunded hours later, no explanation, domain still 'available', and 11 days later a guy who has a pretty good domain sniping conglomerate has it.
Got receipts and everything.

Is there anything I could do or any hint if there's anywhere I could start? I tried asking live support the reason why, lady said that the reason was unknown.

Comments

• move to a different registrar like namesilo

• @mhosting_in said: move to a different registrar like namesilo

I feel like I got cheated out of a good domain, moving registrars would not change this because it's registered now.
    Sux

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Sue.

• Namecheap is trash.

• JustVPSJustVPS Member, Host Rep

If the domain is registered, then you are unlikely to get it. But you should ask for the exact reason for the refusal and refund, they should give you an answer. Also find out the time of domain registration from another user.

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited July 2020

@JustVPS said: If the domain is registered, then you are unlikely to get it. But you should ask for the exact reason for the refusal and refund, they should give you an answer. Also find out the time of domain registration from another user.

I asked, took log of convo, formal/followed procedures, nobody ended up angry w/e, and they said they couldn't tell me.
    Checked w/ icann page, and they specifiy that their power to deny registrations is not absolute, so I wonder if someone working saw the domain, and wanted it for themselves, you know? My order had gone thru, went from pending to refunded, the domain had NEVER BEEN REGISTERED, no locks, it wasn't a 'premium/reserved' domain either, checked with multiple registrars (prices xd), after it got refunded 11 days later, there's a guy selling it (he actually has a really good domains for sale repertory) >.>

I understand it's not mine, just want to make sure I didn't 'just get fucked', it's a really good domain....

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Just curious, was the domain actually registered 11 days later or was it registered 11 days ago 11 days later? :)

• @thedp said: Just curious, was the domain actually registered 11 days later or was it registered 11 days ago 11 days later? :)

Later, idk if I'm being an idiot here.

• @duckeeyuck said:

@thedp said: Just curious, was the domain actually registered 11 days later or was it registered 11 days ago 11 days later? :)

Why did you opt to do nothing rather than just go register it elsewhere? Who cares why Namecheap couldn't register it for you? What am I missing?

Honestly I think is completely self-inflicted.

@danielhm said:

@duckeeyuck said:

@thedp said: Just curious, was the domain actually registered 11 days later or was it registered 11 days ago 11 days later? :)

Why did you opt to do nothing rather than just go register it elsewhere? Who cares why Namecheap couldn't register it for you? What am I missing?

Honestly I think is completely self-inflicted.

Just to add, so that would mean the domain's registered date is 6/15?

Between 6/4 - 6/15, did you check/try at a different registrar after being refunded by Namecheap?

edited July 2020

@thedp said: Just to add, so that would mean the domain's registered date is 6/15?

Apr 4, 2020 => apr 15
    And yes, porkbun I wasn't able to register anymore that day and I left it there.

@danielhm said: Honestly I think is completely self-inflicted.

Probably right.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that a per ICANN, they can't deny a domain reg for any reason they want, it's 'not absolute' and the reasons to why you can are specified. And these guys got zero reason, that's why I was kind of afraid of maybe somebody working there just doing w.e they want, not saying this is true, just wondering.

@duckeeyuck said:

@thedp said: Just to add, so that would mean the domain's registered date is 6/15?

Apr 4, 2020 => apr 15
    And yes, porkbun I wasn't able to register anymore that day and I left it there.

It was “available” for 11 days but you couldn’t register it anywhere? Very odd.

gTLD or ccTLD? IIRC, sometimes thry can be reserved by the registrar but I’ve only seen it for some ccTLDs.

Also, which registrar is it now registered at?

edited July 2020

@thedp said: gTLD or ccTLD? IIRC, sometimes thry can be reserved by the registrar but I’ve only seen it for some ccTLDs.

When it's reserved, you can see that when trying to whois/search it, this one wasn't, I can prove it because they sent me a receipt, it has a date, paypal trans# has a date as well.
    Edit: I know this wasn't reserved becaused as I hunt for domains, I stumbled upload a lot of reserved ones under the same gtld, they specified that it was revserved, this one wasn't, anywhere (compared the price across multiple registrars which confirmed it was avaible and it was up for a normal price unlike 'reserved/premium' ones).

gtld*

@duckeeyuck said:

@thedp said: gTLD or ccTLD? IIRC, sometimes thry can be reserved by the registrar but I’ve only seen it for some ccTLDs.

When it's reserved, you can see that when trying to whois/search it, this one wasn't, I can prove it because they sent me a receipt, it has a date, paypal trans# has a date as well.
    Edit: I know this wasn't reserved becaused as I hunt for domains, I stumbled upload a lot of reserved ones under the same gtld, they specified that it was revserved, this one wasn't, anywhere (compared the price across multiple registrars which confirmed it was avaible and it was up for a normal price unlike 'reserved/premium' ones).

gtld*

Which registrar is the domain registered at now?

• @thedp said: Which registrar is the domain registered at now?

If I'm getting this correctly:
    https://daftarnama.id/

I think I'm being stupid here, I'll try to contact ICANN to see if I get can the registrar to just provide the reason for denial as per https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/responsibilities-2014-03-14-en

• titustitus Member

@duckeeyuck said: If I'm getting this correctly:
    https://daftarnama.id/

Truly, I'm not sure you can do something what is help in the situation (to grab the name) at this point. If I understood correctly, this is a ccTLD (country code extension), for example something like .id/co.id etc? You should check the local registry (.id) rules, dispute policy. If the name is your trademark or brand name maybe have a solution for a dispute or any 'legal proceedings' (but it usually a long process and not cheap).

I know, it's not help and the situation is annoying, but If you want to register an available domain, you should not wait days with it. Ask the registrar via ticket/email what was the problem with your order, why refunded you, try to register it with a different registrar in the same day (ASAP), etc. Choose 'ccTLD' accredited registrars (instead of resellers).

• @titus said: I know, it's not help and the situation is annoying, but If you want to register an available domain, you should not wait days with it. Ask the registrar via ticket/email what was the problem with your order, why refunded you, try to register it with a different registrar in the same day (ASAP), etc. Choose 'ccTLD' accredited registrars (instead of resellers).

Makes total sense, thanks.

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited July 2020

it's quite possible that the registry for a ccTLD actively monitors registrations from non-local entities, either for commercial or political reasons. I doubt namecheap were involved as such, but I'm sure they know the underlying reason why the registration wasn't processed.

• @Adam1 said: it's quite possible that the registry for a ccTLD actively monitors registrations from non-local entities, either for commercial or political reasons. I doubt namecheap were involved as such, but I'm sure they know the underlying reason why the registration wasn't processed.

I hold 2 more .id domains, you can confirm it isn't reserved because the site now points to a page who advertises domain sniping, a reserved domain couldn't be sniped, was it on hold because of a previous owner? whois and icann's site shows that it wasn't.
    But I'm probably pondering to no avail.

I'm sure that there is most likely is an underlying issue that isn't namecheap, as you say.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

I'm saying that the registry (not registrar) for .id may well manually approve registration with foreign registrant details, and besides validation, they may well choose to deny registration which they think they can make money from. Could be a rogue employee or policy. Who knows. Just speculation but it seems plausible to me

• @Adam1 said: rogue employee

That's what I'm trying to find out, I'll send an email and see if I get any leads on what's next. Thank you for taking the time to respond.