Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help deciding hosting strategy - With and Without Control Panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help deciding hosting strategy - With and Without Control Panel

GaleejGaleej Member

Hi,
I currently host around 30 websites/applications which comes to around 40GB. Most of them are based on Laravel/Wordpress. Laravel based are applications which connects to database to do frequent read/write operations. No of visitors/month overall does not exceeds 40K. I currently rent a VPS with 300GB space and 16GB ram and manage everything on my own (LEMP stack, firewall, backup to external provider etc). I am looking to simplify the setup and reduce the cost if possible. I do not give backend access to anyone, only those using Wordpress will get admin access via admin page. Is it better to migrate to a cPanel or DA based hosting or continue with my existing setup and process. If the former is recommended, what are the possible options I have in EU or Asia.

Comments

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Having a control panel will always give you more user friendly experience. It's far easier to manage.

Btw, If you are trying to reduce the cost then using cPanel will not help you.

I don't know your budget pr present spending but as per your present setup I would recommend you to get a Dedicated server if you want some more performance as well.

Most of us will do provide Directadmin at low price. Or even for free.

If you still want a vps then go for a host like Nexusbytes of @seriesn or @intovps etc.

If you do allow us to recommend ourselves then we also provide free directadmin + free blesta if you contact us directly right now

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • GaleejGaleej Member

@ViridWeb said:
    Having a control panel will always give you more user friendly experience. It's far easier to manage.

I don't know your budget pr present spending but as per your present setup I would recommend you to get a Dedicated server if you want some more performance as well.

If you still want a vps then go for a host like Nexusbytes of @seriesn or @intovps etc.

If you do allow us to recommend ourselves then we also provide free directadmin + free blesta if you contact us directly right now

Thanks for the response. I currently spend 9EUR/month and I already have a dedi which I'm using it only for self-hosted and other applications based on docker. I wanted to have a separate setup for web hosting which are for my customers/friends. If I use DA on a high performance VPS like Nexusbytes - how much RAM would I require to replicate the setup described above.

• @ViridWeb said:

Thanks for the prem mention <3

@Galeej said:

@ViridWeb said:

Thanks for the response. I currently spend 9EUR/month and I already have a dedi which I'm using it only for self-hosted and other applications based on docker. I wanted to have a separate setup for web hosting which are for my customers/friends. If I use DA on a high performance VPS like Nexusbytes - how much RAM would I require to replicate the setup described above.

What is your current memory usage looks like? DA by default doesn't take up a lot of ram (~300 MB).

Back to your topic, to be quite honest, control panel will help with simplifying clients management. Specially if you combine that with Blesta :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • GaleejGaleej Member

Thanks, my current usage is 1.5-2GB, this may be due to not optimized setup though. With control panel usage, does it manage the resource usage,security etc?

• @Galeej said:
    Thanks, my current usage is 1.5-2GB, this may be due to not optimized setup though. With control panel usage, does it manage the resource usage,security etc?

Hi,
    There are certain software's that are resource heavy such as clamav.

But with usual csf and other standard setup, it really isn't too resource heavy, when you compare with bare metal setup :)

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

Have you considered simply buying shared/reseller hosting? A high quality one, like MyW Shared or BuyShared Reseller will simplify things greatly, at a low cost.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2020

@Galeej said:

@ViridWeb said:

Like seriesn said. Directadmin is a lightweight control panel and it will not eat your resources too much like other panels. But it depends how you use the server. If you have too many resources consuming stuff then need more than a VPS but again you can reduce it by properly optimizing it.

Our following offer config may suitable for the config you described (I know you want 300GB storage but you didn't mention your budget for this new setup)

So Here's our quote for you

1 Dedicated Core (HT) - AMD Epyc
    4GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    100 GB SSD (RAID 10)
    2TB BANDWIDTH
    10Gbps Uplink
    Netherlands Location
    1 IPv6 + /64 IPv6
    Directadmin Included
    Softaculous Auto-Installer Included
    Blesta Software Included
    10Gb DDos Protection Included
    30 Days Moneyback guarantee
    Price: $15.00/month
    Contact us for order

For more affordable deal try Nexusbytes or BuyVM or Reseller Hosting

• @Galeej said:

P.S Depending on what you are looking for, there's some sexy promo :

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/165993/blazing-fast-ryzen-vps-storage-vps-4gb-ram-vps-from-6-4-mo-wow-nyc-miami-la-utah-london-germany#latest

• GaleejGaleej Member

@seriesn said:

@Galeej said:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/165993/blazing-fast-ryzen-vps-storage-vps-4gb-ram-vps-from-6-4-mo-wow-nyc-miami-la-utah-london-germany#latest

Budget-4G - does it come with DA or any?

• @Galeej said:

@seriesn said:

@Galeej said:

Cwp pro. No Free DA man. But 5 bucks for the infernal bundle isn't a bad deal :)

• GaleejGaleej Member

@seriesn said:

@Galeej said:

@seriesn said:

@Galeej said:

Cwp pro. No Free DA man. But 5 bucks for the infernal bundle isn't a bad deal :)

Thanks a lot for the insights. I am now putting all these information together and comparing which one might suit me.

• GaleejGaleej Member

@AC_Fan said:
    Have you considered simply buying shared/reseller hosting? A high quality one, like MyW Shared or BuyShared Reseller will simplify things greatly, at a low cost.

Checking out the possible options and will buy something to try out.

• May I ask who your current provider is?
    It's a decent case study.

I run Virtualmin (apache2), fronted with a nginx instance for PHP apps. Virtualmin is good enough if you understand system administration. The panel doesn't stop you from being a sysadmin.
    (ubuntu 20.04 support is still not ready ; don't be a hero)

• GaleejGaleej Member

@vimalware said:
    May I ask who your current provider is?
    It's a decent case study.

I run Virtualmin (apache2), fronted with a nginx instance for PHP apps. Virtualmin is good enough if you understand system administration. The panel doesn't stop you from being a sysadmin.
    (ubuntu 20.04 support is still not ready ; don't be a hero)

Contabo, I have LEMP setup and do not use apache. I havent looked into apache since I started hosting, but is it something I should worry about.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Galeej said:

@seriesn said:

@Galeej said:

@seriesn said:

@Galeej said:

Thanks a lot for the insights. I am now putting all these information together and comparing which one might suit me.

Sounds good bro. And if it is something, we do include CWP pro for no extra cost :)

• @Galeej said:
    I havent looked into apache since I started hosting, but is it something I should worry about.

I just threw apache2 into the stack to save an hour here and there fighting compatibility.( Old habit. Nginx +php fastcgi likely handles everything fine. I just don't like time-consuming surprises when I quickly need to try something and htaccess is expected .)

Another informative thead (I haven't finished reading it) https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/164578/why-do-people-still-use-apache-instead-of-fast-and-lightweight-nginx/p1

• @vimalware said:

@Galeej said:
    I havent looked into apache since I started hosting, but is it something I should worry about.

I just threw apache2 into the stack to save an hour here and there fighting compatibility.( Old habit. Nginx +php fastcgi likely handles everything fine. I just don't like time-consuming surprises when I quickly need to try something and htaccess is expected .)

Another informative thead (I haven't finished reading it) https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/164578/why-do-people-still-use-apache-instead-of-fast-and-lightweight-nginx/p1

Apache 2, properly tuned is pretty freaking solid.

Thanked by 1vimalware