Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the BEST Asian IP transit providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the BEST Asian IP transit providers?

What are the BEST Asian IP transit providers? I've noticed NTT, PCCW and TATA have global IP transit paths out of Asia to the Americas & Europe. TATA has a high % of Eurasia traffic on their cable from Mumbai to Marseilles via Jeddah/Cairo and only 92ms. NTT & PCCW route the majority of their European traffic via the USA but they do have the Singapore-Cairo-Marseilles route. There's also Telia which routes Asia to Europe traffic via the Middle East/Cairo. Finally there's Telstra (Australian incumbent) which also has the AAE-1/SEA-ME-WE-5 route from Singapore to London via Cairo/Marseilles but they route the majority of Australia to Europe traffic via the USA.

Comments

• You should probably explain what "best" means to you.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Asia is diverse. "best" will depend on where you are.

That said I am a big fan of NTT these days. Decently performing world wide, including in Asia. Lots of BGP TE communities for extracting the most out their transit.

All they reallly lack is TE communities for control over customer to customer routes. But AFAIK no other transit has that either.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • zenkizenki Member

As others have said, you need to define "best".

For me, I use Telstra Global (Australia, Hong Kong, India), NTT (Australia, Singapore), and Tata (India). I use Hurricane Electric as well, but people say their network is not as stable, although I haven't had any problems with them

@HyperK9 I've come to REALLY hate Telstra Global. Even more than HE. At-least you know not to expect much there.

I've got a route thats SG -> SG via Australia and LA because they (seemingly) do not peer with NTT in Singapore.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@SplitIce said: All they reallly lack is TE communities for control over customer to customer routes. But AFAIK no other transit has that either.

This can be really frustrating to deal with if the network you're trying to route around is considered a customer instead of a peer. Would be nice if more transit providers just allowed to drop announcements based on ASN, regardless of their status as a customer. We've had a lot of trouble with this especially on China Mobile and several of the Brazilian networks.

• nature1nature1 Member
    edited July 2020

By "BEST" I mean the diversity of IP Transit paths. Not just a trans-USA route to Europe from Asia but also a Eurasia path via Cairo into Europe. I do know the Chinese big 3 also have a trans-Russian terrestrial path into Europe as well.

• @nature1 said:
    By "BEST" I mean the diversity of IP Transit paths. Not just a trans-USA route to Europe from Asia but also a Eurasia path via Cairo into Europe. I do know the Chinese big 3 also have a trans-Russian terrestrial path into Europe as well.

I mean... China is a very special case here. Transiting using Chinese ISPs sounds like a terrible idea.

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

+1 NTT for the price vs performance, compare to HE or Cogent.
    Singtel is also known to have a good reputation in the region these days.

Rumors said Telia has gone worst (with packet losses -heard that last year, don't know if they improved). While PCCW is a different thing. It is "designed" for a specific purpose. So now, it will narrow your option to choose from, I believe.

One additional thing: you can research for GTT. They are good at Asia to Europe link. I happened to push SG to NYC to below 200ms with them.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@nature1 said:

And what is Asia supposed to mean? Japan & Korea? Or rather Iran? Or maybe India? Or how about the largest part of Russia?

And what are we talking about? About some Hotel that happens to have many chinese (or japanese, ...) guests and desires to enhance their experience when browsing their site? Or maybe about a large entity that has/needs between 5 and 30 Gb/s to/from say India?

For 95+% of cases the best answer IMO is anyway -> @SplitIce and be done with it.

• nature1nature1 Member
    edited July 2020

I mean East & South Asia (India, Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan, China, Japan & Korea). Middle East & Central Asian traffic goes to Europe anyways. I also believe the best way to solve for congestion/availability issues these days is to use a CDN like Cloudflare where they are in every internet exchange on earth.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

In India TATA is the best transit provider for both domestic and international routes.

Thanked by 1vimalware

One additional thing: you can research for GTT. They are good at Asia to Europe link. I happened to push SG to NYC to below 200ms with them.

Not relevant to your route but GTT does alot of intra asia via the US by the way.

Thanked by 1vimalware