Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to solve Kernel Panic on Rescue Mode
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to solve Kernel Panic on Rescue Mode

desfiredesfire Member
edited July 2020 in Help

I'm using Contabo and got a Kernel panic.

"Linux: Error Kernel panic – not syncing: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

I have been looking around the internet to see how to fix the issue and so far, no luck

Comments

• This is what i GET

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited July 2020

Are you running production workloads there?

Otherwise, maybe you want to try another operative system. If that doesn't work, you should contact your host with this information. Probably it's a hardware issue.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited July 2020

it can't mount your rootfs. Can you check your partition layout and compare to how it is referenced in grub config kernel parameters? Also, make sure you can mount rootfs from rescue system.

• I'm not clear on what you mean by rescue mode. I'm assuming that you're trying to boot into rescue mode (via some special Contabo rescue setup).

If that is the case, then the issue is more to do with the rescue mode boot rather than anything to do with your own disk/partitions.

First and foremost, try to get a reliable rescue mode booted so that you can independently examine and fsck your own VPS drives/partitions/FS.

If rescue mode is a problem, try booting any one of the standard installers which will all allow you to escape to a shell at some point after which you can check things.

Again I'm a bit unclear on the background on why you're booting into rescue mode and it'll help to get better advise from the community if you can provide some context on the root cause.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • QltianQltian Member

Boot the system in rescue mode.
    Login using root account.
    Navigate to /boot.
    See if initramfs.img file is available (If it is available, it must be corrupted.
    find kernel version (uname -r)
    mkinitrd initramfs-kernel_version.img kernel_version.
    Boot the machine.