Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there some kind of rating for providers and offers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there some kind of rating for providers and offers

Forgive me if something like this already exists as I am new to this forum.

Are there ratings for new offers?

The reason I ask is because I have checked through the offers from last year and noticed that many of the companies that made offers no longer exist. Reading through the comments I see instances where people paid for offers and at worse the VPS was never setup, less bad but still awful there was an unusually large amount of downtime, people were complaining about much lower speeds than advertised, among other issues.

I am well aware that at the lowest pricing tiers you often run into the choosing beggar phenomenon, that is people expect a more than reasonable amount for what they pay. But at the same time I would think it be reasonable if someone paid for a VPS for one year that it at least be around for a year.

Maybe there is already a system in place and I am just missing it?

Thanked by 1angstrom

Comments

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

"Pay for what you get" and that happens if you look at the price only. There are many reliable providers, many years in business. So the best way to find good provider - read reviews.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

Be careful of reviews too as some are paid for reviews. You can always use archive.org to see how long a company have been in business or do a whois lookup of the domain. But if you pay less for hosting your web site than you do a cup of coffee well ..... I just think there is something wrong with that.

• TimRooTimRoo Member

Closest we have is the regular Best Providers poll. Here’s the most recent one: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/165392/let-provider-poll-hy1-2020-results/p1

Obviously doesn’t measure deals, but in a way it inherently does, as no providers overcharging are going to be listed.

• If the OP of an offer post is thanked by @SCAM_DONT_BUY then I don't buy it.

Then again, I've bought very very little off of LET, and never anything on LEB.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@bacloud said:
    "Pay for what you get" and that happens if you look at the price only. There are many reliable providers, many years in business. So the best way to find good provider - read reviews.

Nowadays, I personally will not trust reviews, example: a few dodgy holiday companies in UK do pay for reviews and fake customers to tweeting and posting on Facebook, example of such company is Love Holidays.

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited July 2020

@TimRoo said: Closest we have is the regular Best Providers poll. Here’s the most recent one: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/165392/let-provider-poll-hy1-2020-results/p1

These polls are useless. They are reflecting how good deals you presented on the forum the given year, nothing more. The more active you are the more votes you get. I am saying this without actually checking the number of votes past year, but I can surely say Inception Hosting is nowhere near their past results.

Oh, and the forum's nigerian prince HostDoc also got on this list last year.

(just indicating this is a serious comment on this meme account)

• @teamacc said:
    If the OP of an offer post is thanked by @SCAM_DONT_BUY then I don't buy it.

Then again, I've bought very very little off of LET, and never anything on LEB.

Thank you for no thank you. Thank you again.

• Thank you a lot for your responses.

I have bought services from some of the advertised deals on LEB and I have been happy so far. I did find it surprising that many of the deals turned out to be shady I always assumed they was some kind of review process.

I think I may have uncovered a niche for more through review of the companies making the offers and the offers themselves, other than the information currently provided.

Its even more surprising that shady companies make it onto best of offers/providers polls.