Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for telegram bots and API
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for telegram bots and API

What specs for a vps would be enough to run some telegram bots?

Is it the same if I want to run an automated telegram client? I want the user to choose the name for its contact.

Is it possible to use telegram from a NAT server, or I must have an IPv4 for it?

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

You can run legitimately authorized telegram bots anywhere including NAT.

"Automated clients" will be banned shortly.

• there are 2 type telegram bot.
    webhook and "i-don't-know-what-it's-called"

webhook:
    you need at least webhosting with SSL enabled. of course it should be verified. you have to point telegram webhook to your backend.

"i-don't-know-what-it's-called" :
    any VPS or maybe webhosting (not recommended). you have to run scheduler to request http to telegram server.

• Any cheap VPS should do but make sure to have dedicated IP.

• @hzr said:
    You can run legitimately authorized telegram bots anywhere including NAT.

"Automated clients" will be banned shortly.

This applying reverse DNS magic , right?

@sayem314 said:
    Any cheap VPS should do but make sure to have dedicated IP.

And this in order to avoid the burden of applying the mentioned magic?

Or is there any other restriction, like IPv4 neighbors telegram bots in the same server?

• hzrhzr Member

I'm confused, there is no issue with IPv4 neighbours, there is no issue with NAT, you do not need reverse DNS.

It's just HTTPS in and out.

• I have a similar doubt here. I have a telegram bot, which provides information to users by scraping a certain website. Would reverse DNS be required? Shouldn't HTTPS GET and POST work on a NAT VPS too?

• Let me remind that I was just asking.

@hzr reply says it is fine with NAT, but @sayem314 says a dedicated IP is required. Can somebody clarify please?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited July 2020

I run several large TG bots, I have no idea what anyone is talking about here. You don't need a dedicated IP, you don't even need to be able to run a webserver - you can just load a unique URL for your bot token repeatedly to get new messages and send then back.

You need port 443 if you want webhooks, but that's entirely optional, and has absolutely nothing to do with reverse dns.

You can literally run a bot on shared hosting with a single php file.

• IMG_0583

Long polling does not require dedicated ip however webhook does!

Thanked by 1Neuromante
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited July 2020

@sayem314 said: Long polling does not require dedicated ip however webhook does!

No, webhook does not. SNI works fine if your NAT VPS does have a haproxy or equivalent, or use cloudflare.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • Yes haproxy and cloudflare should work fine since it’s not about ip but ssl.

• mxvinmxvin Member

for running bots on NAT instance you might need reverse proxy like Cloudflare, or your provider may provide reverse proxy for you (but not all provider give this, especially one that can configure our ssl cert on their proxy). Or easier just pooling and config it with reasonable pooling time