Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best hosting for a 2gb file direct download
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best hosting for a 2gb file direct download

RainyrRainyr Member
edited June 2020 in General

Basically, I want to release a game. I built a very simple static website with a download button, and when users press it, I want to redirect them to a direct download link of the game itself, a file that is around 2gb in size. The website itself is very simple, so I'm probably using Netlify or Github Pages since it's free.

However, I'm trying to figure out what is the cheapest way to upload or host that 2gb file and have it downloaded around 500~1000 times a month(i.e, 1TB~2TB bandwidth).

I've looked onto many options: Wasabi, B2, B2+BunnyCDN, even MediaFire(it allows you to generate direct download links), and all those options seem interesting, but I'm wondering if there's anything better. I was looking into OVH VPS, as well as Vultr Object Storage, those also seem quite interesting for the price. I've never distributed a file this big online, so I'd love to hear you guys suggestions.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

For 2TB transfer it's not going to matter much unless they're all downloading it at the same time. Plenty of "unmetered" bandwidth VPS like Afterburst, BuyVM, OVH, etc. Using a CDN for file distribution will become expensive if you expect large growth.

Have you considered using some type of P2P transfer setup? It would save bandwidth on your end.

Thanked by 1Rainyr
  • hzrhzr Member

Honestly just get a buyvm, ovh, run nginx, put the same file on all of them and randomly redirect to one

Thanked by 2Rainyr vimalware
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

You can do this for as low as $0.01/download with BunnyCDN and can store the file on their Geo Replicated storage for almost nothing.

All this is pay as you go and you don't need to manage any servers or infrastructure.

Thanked by 1Rainyr
  • RainyrRainyr Member
    edited June 2020

@MikeA said:
    For 2TB transfer it's not going to matter much unless they're all downloading it at the same time. Plenty of "unmetered" bandwidth VPS like Afterburst, BuyVM, OVH, etc. Using a CDN for file distribution will become expensive if you expect large growth.

Have you considered using some type of P2P transfer setup? It would save bandwidth on your end.

I expect some spikes, yes, but it's tolerable for me if the speeds get lower once or twice a month. I mean, not ideal, but understandable. I don't expect to reach "ideal" with my small budget

And yes, I have considered using P2P, but only as an alternative. I don't want to lose on potential users that don't have torrenting clients.

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know BuyVM, their prices almost seem too good to be true. I mean, 250 Mbps unmetered for $2.50... That's like perfect lol
    I'll probably give them a try and see if it works out.

• Why not just put it in Google Drive or OneDrive?

• Backblaze b2 with cloudflare

• @Rainyr said: Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know BuyVM, their prices almost seem too good to be true. I mean, 250 Mbps unmetered for $2.50... That's like perfect lol

Not sure where you get your 2.50$ and 250 Mps.

While the website saying unmetered for all plan, it's more 100mps dedicated by 4GB of Ram. Saying that, you should be able to deliver roundly 5TB with the 512MB plan, if something is available.

Didn't see any location preference, Hetzner cloud may be another good option.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We are $15/month per 100mbit/sec, 30tb month.

Francisco

• RainyrRainyr Member

@dedipromo said:
    Why not just put it in Google Drive or OneDrive?

I think Google Drive doesn't provide direct download links. And also I think they don't allow you to use the service like that, since there's a very low download /day limit.

@webclouddev said:
    Backblaze b2 with cloudflare

I thought about it, but seems like CF maximum filesize is 512 MB.

• RainyrRainyr Member

@ben47955 said:

@Rainyr said: Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't know BuyVM, their prices almost seem too good to be true. I mean, 250 Mbps unmetered for $2.50... That's like perfect lol

Not sure where you get your 2.50$ and 250 Mps.

While the website saying unmetered for all plan, it's more 100mps dedicated by 4GB of Ram. Saying that, you should be able to deliver roundly 5TB with the 512MB plan, if something is available.

Didn't see any location preference, Hetzner cloud may be another good option.

You're right. I mixed it up with OVH, too many providers in my mind xD
    OVH has 250Mbps ("unlimited"), 2GB ram 20gb ssd for $6/mo.

For location preference, around 60% are US and the rest mostly EU. But right now the price matters more than the locations.

• webclouddevwebclouddev Member
    edited July 2020

@webclouddev said:
    Backblaze b2 with cloudflare

I thought about it, but seems like CF maximum filesize is 512 MB.

i think file size limit applies to only cached CDN content and not for bandwidth/transfer

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-and-cloudflare-partner-to-provide-free-data-transfer/