Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux Mint 20 “Ulyana” Cinnamon released!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sonicsonic Veteran

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3928

New features in Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon_whatsnew.php

Comments

• vovlervovler Member

just installed mint 18 2 days ago
    :'(

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@vovler said:
    just installed mint 18 2 days ago
    :'(

Hahah same to me. Downloading............Installing......

• RedSoxRedSox Member

What a great news. Downloading it. Thanks OP!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • sallysally Member

Just an opinion....but highly overrated due to Win-like bloatiness, which was never really the Linux ethos at all...

• @sally said:
    Just an opinion....but highly overrated due to Win-like bloatiness, which was never really the Linux ethos at all...

I prefer to use windows and ssh to a local vm ubuntu.

• CoffeeCoffee Member

@sally said: Win-like bloatiness

Perhaps because Mint target user is:

• Those who are coming from Windows, so it must be bloated with common windows-like-softwares.
    • Those who have no time for doing post-install configuration.
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Coffee said:

• Those who are coming from Windows, so it must be bloated with common windows-like-softwares.

Exactly. I've directed many of my friends who were coming from Windows and wanted to give Linux Desktop a go to Mint. They've felt at home pretty fast :)

Thanked by 1Coffee
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@Ympker said:

@Coffee said:

Exactly. I've directed many of my friends who were coming from Windows and wanted to give Linux Desktop a go to Mint. They've felt at home pretty fast :)

+1. I'm from Windows and Mint is impressive! I can do almost with Mint.

Thanked by 2Ympker Coffee
  • @sally said:

It's called Grass is Greener. When you use Windows, you want it to looks like ubuntu, when you are on a macos, you want it to look like Windows. You have an ios, you want it to behave like Android, android want it to look like ios, and so on and so forth.

Thanked by 2muffin Ympker
  • JarryJarry Member

@sally said:

Not even close to. Just check, how much space takes win10 and what you get. And then compare it with LinuxMint default installation...

• defaultdefault Veteran

An open-source operating system gives you privacy and trust; corporations don't. This is what matters to me most: it's my data, not NSA, CIA, FBI, FSB, or any agency/corporation/agency/politics-party. When I think about this, design itself becomes so unimportant.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • I like Mint, but my recent experience with Mint as a desktop running 24/7 hasn't been that good. Within 1-2 months the GUI will crash and there's no way to access via AnyDesk or Teamviewer. Not saying that Mint is no good, but I have learned that it is important to retain SSH access via a tunnel so that when the GUI fails, you can still get to the command line to restart the GUI interface or reboot the system. :)

That said, I still happily recommend Mint, and if you want to be right at home with the Windows interface on Mint, try this: https://b00merang.weebly.com/windows-10.html

Thanked by 1sonic