Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox Lite
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox Lite

davidavi Member
edited June 2020 in General

I am using proxmox without cluster, zfs etc in standalone mode. I installed it on debain and by default install it takes near about 900 MB ram. Now I stop below services which I do not use

systemctl stop pve-daily-update pve-ha-crm pve-ha-lrm pve-firewall pvefw-logger corosync spiceproxy pvesr.timer pve-daily-update.timer

systemctl stop zfs-mount.service zfs-share.service zfs-volume-wait.service zfs-zed.service zfs-import.target zfs-volumes.target zfs.target ceph-fuse.target ceph.target

And now memory is 475MB and still gui works. Now if I stop web interface by

systemctl stop pveproxy pvedaemon pvebanner

then memory usage is 200 MB. But I want web interface so I enabled above. But when I check in top I have three process for pveproxy & pvedaemon workers. Can I change this worker setting to 1 to reduce further memory usage.

Thanks in advance if some one know this config location or any other option to further slim down proxmox for standalone usage.

Comments

• Have you tried systemctl disable for the unwanted services?

• davidavi Member

Yes, once system is stable then I disabled by below command

sudo systemctl disable pve-daily-update pve-ha-crm pve-ha-lrm pve-firewall pvefw-logger corosync spiceproxy pvesr.timer pve-daily-update.timer

sudo systemctl disable zfs-mount.service zfs-share.service zfs-volume-wait.service zfs-zed.service zfs-import.target zfs-volumes.target zfs.target ceph-fuse.target ceph.target

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2020

Well, usually running KVM or Proxmox on nodes less than 8GB makes no sense.
    And if you have more, you likely wont give a fuck about that 900MB.

If you really go that low, I would skip KVM and try LXC/LXD.
    Which as nearly zero memory usage alone.

LXD does support KVM as far as I know, so may try that.

Thanked by 2vimalware coreflux
  • davidavi Member

I like proxmox web interface even for LXC/LXD. Is there any option to disable KVM in proxmox in case if I do not need it to check how low memory usage goes. I am able to reduce workers to one by editing below files

sudo nano /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Service/pveproxy.pm
    sudo nano /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Service/pvedaemon.pm

And change max_workers => 1. And now memory usage is 425 MB

Thanked by 1ckreutzer
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2020

Bookmarked, to remind me to review my three Proxmox instances - 2x8Gb, 1x16GB. ;)
    I had a 4GB one but installed OpenNebula on it - probably revert though.

• Can't wait for the thread when something breaks during a future update.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Why not use docker with portainer?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yokowasis said:
    Why not use docker with portainer?

He wants to reduce his memory usage and you come around with Docker to add more memory.....

@vimalware said:
    Can't wait for the thread when something breaks during a future update.

Well, I did modifications in the code also, to disable some shit, which was listen on all ports for no reason. Still iptables would be easier.

Could work though but you need to make sure to run your updates again after an proxmox update or reverse it if it breaks and put it back afterwards.

Thanked by 2webcraft AlwaysSkint
  • @Neoon said:

@yokowasis said:
    Why not use docker with portainer?

He wants to reduce his memory usage and you come around with Docker to add more memory.....

Isn't docker is supposed to have almost zero overhead ?