Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

setup inexpensive windows server on google cloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

setup inexpensive windows server on google cloud

typhonetyphone Member

I want to setup a cheap server windows on google cloud.

windows server usage fees cost 34 per month which is a lot.
do you have any solution on how I can reduce the costs?

Comments

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

Get a Hetzner VM which is already much, much cheaper and mount a Windows ISO on it. Buy a Windows license off Ebay and you're done. 5$ /month Windows VM

• sanvitsanvit Member

iirc BuyVM provides Windows for free

• @kuroneko23 said:
    >Google Cloud
    >Inexpensive

What?

I just want to know if there is a workaround to not pay windows usage fees

• @typhone said:

@kuroneko23 said:
    >Google Cloud
    >Inexpensive

What?

Google cloud is not low end.. lol.. Go get a slice.. @Francisco

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • @typhone said:

Bring your own license key
    https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/instances/windows/bring-your-own-license

• PwnerPwner Member

You're paying $50/month for 1vCPU, 4GB of RAM, and 50GB of SSD and complaining about the $34/month Windows license?

As others have said, you can find a much better deal elsewhere. There are plenty of excellent providers on here such as BuyVM (free Windows license for the 4GB KVM at $15/month) and Nexus Bytes (free Windows license for bi-annual and annual payments) that offer you better prices for the hardware and free licenses for Windows as well.

• No there’s no way of getting round a windows license fee, either buy a license or go with a provider who can offer it cheaper, or even for free from a few providers.

• @typhone said:

@kuroneko23 said:
    >Google Cloud
    >Inexpensive

What?

Azure?

• @Pwner said:
    You're paying $50/month for 1vCPU, 4GB of RAM, and 50GB of SSD and complaining about the $34/month Windows license?

As others have said, you can find a much better deal elsewhere. There are plenty of excellent providers on here such as BuyVM (free Windows license for the 4GB KVM at $15/month) and Nexus Bytes (free Windows license for bi-annual and annual payments) that offer you better prices for the hardware and free licenses for Windows as well.

Or virmach for $25 / year

• @yokowasis said:

@Pwner said:

Or virmach for $25 / year

At least two cores are needed for a Virmach windows server to be functional. And that gets closer to $40/year. And that's only BF pricing, not everyday available.

Plus, sounds like this is for production, and not sure Virmach is who I'd go with for production needs that requires immediate phone support options.

• Can get a fully managed windows vps (hyper-v) server from parksidetech. For a $50 budget can get the same specs and USA hosted. I’ve used them for about 2 years at a previous company I worked with. Used it as an RDP for desktop terminals so it’s super stable and reliable for us to use it 60 hours per week.

https://www.parksidetech.com/hosting-solutions.html

• @Pwner said: You're paying $50/month for 1vCPU, 4GB of RAM, and 50GB of SSD and complaining about the $34/month Windows license?

There's a free tier, right? I think maybe the only real cost would be the windows license and VM would get covered under free tier?

• PwnerPwner Member

@sdglhm said:

@Pwner said: You're paying $50/month for 1vCPU, 4GB of RAM, and 50GB of SSD and complaining about the $34/month Windows license?

There's a free tier, right? I think maybe the only real cost would be the windows license and VM would get covered under free tier?

The problem with the free tier is the overages, you're getting charged separately for the RAM and disk space, once you go over a certain threshold for bandwidth then you'll be paying even more. In this case, OP is looking for a 4GB of RAM VM, so it won't be covered by the free tier anyways.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@CConner said: Buy a Windows license off Ebay and you're done. 5$ /month Windows VM

majority times they do sell illegal keys, wrong recommendation to by keys from eBay.

Ask Google Cloud to do a price match any LET providers :smile:

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Ask Google Cloud to do a price match any LET providers :smile:

lmao