Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does SSH mean in shared hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does SSH mean in shared hosting?

Also, why would a consumer need it? I noticed that some shared hosting companies have this and others don't.

What's the reasoning behind this benefit?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Some tasks are easier done over SSH. Like uploading a large zip and extracting over SSH is quicker than uploading thousands of individual files. Or maybe some need SSH access to run a small python/perl script. Backups are easier that way. Many things.

• git? package managers(npm/composer)?

• @MikeA said:
    Some tasks are easier done over SSH. Like uploading a large zip and extracting over SSH is quicker than uploading thousands of individual files. Or maybe some need SSH access to run a small python/perl script. Backups are easier that way. Many things.

Thank you.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

@RoboCain - also if there's a particular provider who doesn't offer jailed shell access by default, you can always inquire prior to purchasing to see if they'd be willing to do it for you (if you find the feature useful).

• @dustinc said:

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

@RoboCain - also if there's a particular provider who doesn't offer jailed shell access by default, you can always inquire prior to purchasing to see if they'd be willing to do it for you (if you find the feature useful).

Thanks @Dustinc.

Do you offer this in your shared hosting or can it be turned on by request if needed?

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

Thanks @Dustinc.

Do you offer this in your shared hosting or can it be turned on by request if needed?

Hi @RoboCain - we do not offer it by default though we do enable it on request. If you choose to order our services, I'll be sure to include 2-months free - just open a ticket with a link referencing this post :)

I hope we can work together.

• @dustinc said:

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

Thanks @Dustinc.

Hi @RoboCain - we do not offer it by default though we do enable it on request. If you choose to order our services, I'll be sure to include 2-months free - just open a ticket with a link referencing this post :)

@dustinc said:

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

Thanks @Dustinc.

Can this be included in the current $18 a year offer that you're running here on LET? Or is it extra after the 2 months?

edited June 2020

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

Thanks @Dustinc.

@dustinc said:

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

Thanks @Dustinc.

Can this be included in the current $18 a year offer that you're running here on LET? Or is it extra after the 2 months?

Good question! I can get the jailed shell access approved on that special offer, including 2-months free on top of it, to make the deal sweeter. Simply order, ticket in and reference this thread :)

Here's the order link:

RACKNERD- Shared-LEB-50GB

50 GB SSD Disk Space
    3TB Monthly Transfer
    Unlimited Databases
    10 Domains
    Free SSL Certificates
    CloudLinux Powered
    Softaculous Script Installer
    LiteSpeed Web Server
    Free Daily Backups Included
    cPanel Control Panel
    JUST $18/YEAR

Order Link: https://my.racknerd.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=243

Thanked by 1RoboCain
  • @dustinc said:

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

Thanks @Dustinc.

@dustinc said:

@RoboCain said:

@dustinc said:

@MikeA said:

Well explained @MikeA

Thanks @Dustinc.

Good question! I can get the jailed shell access approved on that special offer, including 2-months free on top of it, to make the deal sweeter. Simply order, ticket in and reference this thread :)

That's awesome. Thank you.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • Ordered... B)

Thanked by 1dustinc