Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Website not available, server up but unreachable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Website not available, server up but unreachable

teochristianteochristian Member
edited June 2020 in Help

Hello!

I have some websites hosted on a VPS. Some of my visitors (known visitors) are telling me the website is not available on their end. At the same time the website is working from my location, so the server is not down, nor the network. I've got access to some computers using TeamViewer and it seems the websites are really unaccessible from time to time (for a few hours). I tried to traceroute the server and there are problems on the route, the connection is lost. The problem is this happens to multiple visitors from different locations.

What should I do? Thank you very much!

Comments

• cociucociu Member

the easy way : ping.pe , put the ip there and see if you have replay , if something in Red is possible to see something from carrier or some firewall...

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • Cloudflare it

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • @cociu said:
    the easy way : ping.pe , put the ip there and see if you have replay , if something in Red is possible to see something from carrier or some firewall...

Thank you. There is no problem with firewall or something else. The server is unreachable from time to time, on some locations.

• @yokowasis said:
    Cloudflare it

Thank you, but Cloudflare is not an option at this time, because i have lots of websites on the server

• Their IPs aren’t blocked in firewalls are they? Where exactly do traceroutes drop out?

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • If you could share the traceroute results (hide your endpoint IP), we might be able to help a little :)

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • OhJohnOhJohn Member

Find out the ip addresses of those visitors and do a mtr.

Thanked by 1teochristian
  • @WSCallum said:
    Their IPs aren’t blocked in firewalls are they? Where exactly do traceroutes drop out?

I disabled the firewall, same problem happens.

@seriesn said:
    If you could share the traceroute results (hide your endpoint IP), we might be able to help a little :)

Unfortunately I didn't make a screenshot on remote computers. However, the hops where the connection is lost are much near the user's location than the server.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Can you have your users try using Google DNS/CF DNS? Sometimes ISP DNS just sucks.

• You were blocked ICMP?

• mywebhostingmywebhosting Member, Host Rep

@teochristian said:
    Hello!

I have some websites hosted on a VPS. Some of my visitors (known visitors) are telling me the website is not available on their end. At the same time the website is working from my location, so the server is not down, nor the network. I've got access to some computers using TeamViewer and it seems the websites are really unaccessible from time to time (for a few hours). I tried to traceroute the server and there are problems on the route, the connection is lost. The problem is this happens to multiple visitors from different locations.

What should I do? Thank you very much!

Some of my visitors (known visitors) are telling me the website is not available on their end.

Have you installed any firewall on your server? Do you have root access to your server?
    I think their IP is blocked in the server firewall. Please check it.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Website online on your location doesn't mean server is up as you said websites are down from remote servers you checked.
    Sometimes browser cache showing you website up when it's down.

Try to access the server from different devices and network to confirm if it's up or not.

If it's up then check firewall. It's looks like a firewall issue