Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COVID-19 Update Thread
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

COVID-19 Update Thread

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
edited June 2020 in General

In February I created the "Corona Virus Fears?" thread (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/163143/corona-virus-fears/p1)

It went 11 pages deep and a lot of good information was passed back and forth.

A lot has changed in our world since February and I am curious to hear first hand reports from our community members all over the world how things are looking in their parts of the globe.

For me here in Florida the state started opening in early May and by early June basically all pre-covid businesses were reopened (bars, restaurants, salons, theatres, etc). There are still some restrictions based on occupancy but more or less business as usual. Unfortunately there is not a state-wide mandate requiring masks in public and most folks in Florida (and it seems many other US states resist mask wearing).

It seems the science is now very clear, when a sick person wears a mask and a healthy person wears a mask, viral transmission of COVID-19 can be reduced by approximately 90%. Folks should wear masks if for no other reason than to be courteous to those around them. I wear a mask whenever out in public, including when going out to eat until I reach my table.

So, how are things looking out there folks?

Thanked by 1msallak1

Comments

• HosthinkHosthink Member, Host Rep

For me here in Istanbul, Turkey; restaurants, bars, etc opened. Night clubs still waiting. The government got some regulations for the touristic places and hotels.

3 things; don't touch everywhere, don't go out without a mask, keep up the social distance.

• I want to know whether your area has successfully curbed COVID-19. In other words, there are no more cases of COVID-19.

• OhJohnOhJohn Member

New Zealand is doing a pretty good job.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

Europe as a whole seems to be slowly recovering. Stock markets have been quite volatile lately so trying to profit a little :P

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I read the following yesterday:

Researchers from Columbia University recently estimated that only 1 in 12 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. are documented, which they said would translate to an infection fatality rate of about 0.6%, according to The Washington Post. But even this lower estimate is still at least six times higher than that of the flu. (The case fatality rate in people who become sick with flu may be 0.1%, but when you account for people who become infected with flu but never show symptoms, the death rate will be half or even a quarter of that, the Post reported.)

I wish this kind of information was more widely reported in the media because it adds an import sense of relativity to things. How to handle something with a 6 percent mortality rate vs. 0.6 percent...

• BobeeBobee Member

To the topic of this thread, there's a new study
    being reported that basically says that countries that required mask-wearing earlier have much fewer deaths: https://globalnews.ca/news/7075024/mask-wearing-fewer-coronavirus-deaths/ Although the common examples always given with a discussion of this nature are Asian countries, the article also highlights mention of Slovakia, Venezuela and Czech Republic.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

In Spain we are doing really good with few new cases, but the government is underreporting them for sure and has lied during the whole situation going as far as to say that using masks was counter productive (because they just didn't have stock).

Nowadays wearing a mask is required and and nearly everyone does. I'm optimistic but we have been in a very bad situation and need to be prepared for the winter. Almost all business have reopened now, but some in my small city have closed forever.

@Nyr said:
    In Spain we are doing really good with few new cases, but the government is underreporting them for sure and has lied during the whole situation going as far as to say that using masks was counter productive (because they just didn't have stock).

Nowadays wearing a mask is required and and nearly everyone does. I'm optimistic but we have been in a very bad situation and need to be prepared for the winter. Almost all business have reopened now, but some in my small city have closed forever.

I had a trip planned to Barcelona in May which obviously had to cancel due to COVID-19.

Spain is a beautiful country with wonderful people. One of my favorites.

Can't wait to go back just as soon as possible.

• @jbiloh With the way things are being handled across the border right now, the Canada-US border will probably be shut for another six months.

(which sucks because I normally cross the border to gorge on stupidly unhealthy food and to stock up on snacks only available in the US)

@doghouch said:
    @jbiloh With the way things are being handled across the border right now, the Canada-US border will probably be shut for another six months.

(which sucks because I normally cross the border to gorge on stupidly unhealthy food and to stock up on snacks only available in the US)

No doubt that case counts are too high in the US.

That said, if the true mortality rate is really as low as 0.5% as reported by numerous studies recently, it seems to be the world is just overreacting.

We live in a world where viruses will always exist and always cause death. Yes the death is terribly sad, but it is a reality of life. And life must go on.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2020

@jbiloh said:

@doghouch said:
    @jbiloh With the way things are being handled across the border right now, the Canada-US border will probably be shut for another six months.

No doubt that case counts are too high in the US.

That said, if the true mortality rate is really as low as 0.5% as reported by numerous studies recently, it seems to be the world is just overreacting.

We live in a world where viruses will always exist and always cause death. Yes the death is terribly sad, but it is a reality of life. And life must go on.

It’s not just the mortality rate that we care about — it’s the fact that if we were to reopen our border, we could have potentially thousands of new cases which would immediately overwhelm our (struggling) social care system. :(

• tl;dr we’re re-opening slowly and I really don’t want another wave/shutdown
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

@jbiloh said:

Even if that is the case, it's worth keeping in mind that figure means 30 million dead by the time we reach herd immunity (assuming through infection rather than vaccine, a relatively static fatality rate and a long period of immunity following infection). Overreacting would be the 2008/9 bird flu, not COVID-19.

Buying ourselves time through social distancing is a sensible move.

• Google any 3-digit number and add 'new cases'.
    Amazing! Isn't it?

@jackb said:

@jbiloh said:

Even if that is the case, it's worth keeping in mind that figure means 30 million dead by the time we reach herd immunity (assuming through infection rather than vaccine, a relatively static fatality rate and a long period of immunity following infection). Overreacting would be the 2008/9 bird flu, not COVID-19.

Could not agree more than social distancing, mask wearing, etc, are very smart steps that should be applied broadly.

Never understood why stores and restaurants had to close.

• edited June 2020

@jbiloh said:

@jackb said:

@jbiloh said:

Could not agree more than social distancing, mask wearing, etc, are very smart steps that should be applied broadly.

I heard that corona is spiking in Florida now, so be careful sir!

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited June 2020

@jbiloh said:

@jackb said:

@jbiloh said:

Because they physically can't social distance. Right now, the only restaurants open for dine in here have enough tables that they can do distancing at 50% capacity or less. In other cases, the small kitchen space prevents required distancing. Also, they need better sanitizing practices than running a dirty rag over the tables so you don't see crumbs. That puts strain on places with one server...