Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HEY.com, a new look at email -- does anyone have an invite code? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HEY.com, a new look at email -- does anyone have an invite code?

2»

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2020

@TimboJones said: I was ready to hate the shit out of Hey, but now that they're in a fight with Apple, I'm hoping they'll fuck Apple PR up, especially around all the antitrust issues they have.

Maybe I read it wrong but Apple's issue with Hey having their App in the store right now is that it has no functionality if people download it. Literally, it cannot be used as it is invite-only at this stage which is against App store terms and all you see when downloading the app is a link that you need to follow to pay $99 before you even get to see it or the app is useless, which is again against the terms of the app store.

I know people rage about Apple allowing companies like Netflix being allowed to do this but the difference is that you may already have a Netflix account so are just expanding the devices you can watch on, it's a reader app. If you download Netflix it tells you cannot purchase in-app but does not provide a link to pay. It does, however, allow you to simply sign in and start using the app. Hey does not, that is the issue right now.

Thanked by 2alexvolk 3606202
  • Without SMTP support they wont let people out easily

• Google knows me more than I do. No need another one. 😉

• defaultdefault Veteran

@mrclown said:
    Google knows me more than I do. No need another one. 😉

This time is different. You pay them $99/year so they may get to know you.

Thanked by 1mrclown
  • @Lee said:

@TimboJones said: I was ready to hate the shit out of Hey, but now that they're in a fight with Apple, I'm hoping they'll fuck Apple PR up, especially around all the antitrust issues they have.

Maybe I read it wrong but Apple's issue with Hey having their App in the store right now is that it has no functionality if people download it. Literally, it cannot be used as it is invite-only at this stage which is against App store terms and all you see when downloading the app is a link that you need to follow to pay $99 before you even get to see it or the app is useless, which is again against the terms of the app store.

I know people rage about Apple allowing companies like Netflix being allowed to do this but the difference is that you may already have a Netflix account so are just expanding the devices you can watch on, it's a reader app. If you download Netflix it tells you cannot purchase in-app but does not provide a link to pay. It does, however, allow you to simply sign in and start using the app. Hey does not, that is the issue right now.

I don't know either, but Hey has an iPhone screenshot from May on their site, so I'd assume people already testing it from an invite would be able to login and use it.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

"Since we don’t sell ads, or invade your privacy, we charge $99/year"

That's reasonable. No selling data plus additional features is justifiable for less than $10/mo.

• serversHQserversHQ Member
    edited June 2020

hey.com review

I got their (HEY.COM) invite and tried it..

The only feature worth mentionable is "Email Screening". User can "allow" or "deny" emails from a particular sender. And once the user denies he'll never hear back from that particular sender. - And I'm not going to pay $99 a year for this! - especially when free email like gmail/yahoo etc now-a-days offer virtually unlimited space so I don't care my SMAP box gets utilized more than my inbox!

The drawback for their "email screening" feature is: you can "deny" or "block" an email address... and not an entire domain. So if I'm receiving some unwanted marketing mail from [email protected] and i blocked it, they can very well send me email from [email protected] or even [email protected] --- How many times will I keep screening this sh*t emails??

Rather I'll keep them coming in my gmail spam folder, and once a month it will all get deleted - automatically!

And regarding ad-free email? lol. I've never found gmail/yahoo or other free email providers ads bashing on me. I just ignore those ads just like I ignore banner-ads on forums, adsense on sites/blogs.

And hey.com has some other so-called cool features. they're good in deed but not worth for paying $5/year!

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • For those who like those semi-intelligent filtering features, sanebox.com offers something similar and it works with existing emails (excluding Protonmail and Tutanota).

Thanked by 1serversHQ
  • What is special in HEY that other apps like Outlook doesn't have?

• @TheKiller said:
    What is special in HEY that other apps like Outlook doesn't have?

price

• defaultdefault Veteran

@sibaper said:

@TheKiller said:
    What is special in HEY that other apps like Outlook doesn't have?

price

Precisely. It's not about functionalities; it's about feeling special. You pay $99/year to feel unique, one among the few distinguished ones using a particular e-mail provider. It's like having a .rich domain, or owning the latest Apple phone immediately after release. Some people may call this snobbery, others may call it waste of money, others may call it investment in future innovations. No matter what others think, in the end it's your money, and your choices that can (or will) drive you happy, towards being a much handsome and better version of you.

• HosthinkHosthink Member, Host Rep

Priceeeeeey. You can do something better with that $100, which you can feel special.

• @serversHQ said:
    hey.com review

I got their (HEY.COM) invite and tried it..

The only feature worth mentionable is "Email Screening". User can "allow" or "deny" emails from a particular sender. And once the user denies he'll never hear back from that particular sender.

I don't understand why you haven't been doing this already through existing anti spam, rules and/or filtering but with much more flexibility?

• @TimboJones said: I don't understand why you haven't been doing this already through existing anti spam, rules and/or filtering but with much more flexibility?

I don't think they're especially looking at it from the SPAM angle but the "Hey, do you have 10 minutes for a quick call?" email angle.

Meanwhile, https://bye.fyi/

• LeeLee Veteran

I have tried Hey, it's not going to be worth it for many at $99 but for those with busy inboxes it could be really good.

By busy, I don't mean just lots of emails coming in, more where you have lots of emails coming in where prioritisation of those emails is key, a moving target and you want to keep certain ones in view but not directly whilst allowing a clear view of the continual flow of new emails without having to use the manual creation of rules/filtering.

I see the benefits but depends on the user.

They have now added a 14-day trial option so Apple have approved it for the App Store. Wasn't really hard to get it approved after all.

Thanked by 2luissousa NanoG6
  • I can't afford that.. hang on, I found a dozen $15/yr KVM deals I can afford.

• @sdglhm said:

@TimboJones said: I don't understand why you haven't been doing this already through existing anti spam, rules and/or filtering but with much more flexibility?

I don't think they're especially looking at it from the SPAM angle but the "Hey, do you have 10 minutes for a quick call?" email angle.

Meanwhile, https://bye.fyi/

I hope that service gets open sourced and self hostable. Fucking awesome. Would love that for when you're forced to sign up to get a free download.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

I had heymail .com for years and years, eventually let it expire, i also had some similar ideas. Never mind.

• Got their invite as well. The code can be used for another two times, so in case anyone would like to try it out, just PM and I'll send you the code.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird
  • berkayberkay Member

I also do have a invite code for three people, if anyone wants just drop a PM. On the other hand, I am in search of a Riseup invite; so if anyone has some spare ones, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird
  • @TimboJones said: I hope that service gets open sourced and self hostable. Fucking awesome. Would love that for when you're forced to sign up to get a free download.

I'm also interested in something like this. It's crucial for anyone who's fed up with email.

Just reply "" and delete that email. This is the future we deserve. Not flying cars.

• @berkay said:
    I also do have a invite code for three people, if anyone wants just drop a PM. On the other hand, I am in search of a Riseup invite; so if anyone has some spare ones, it would be greatly appreciated.

since the point of this discussion, started by myself, was asking for invites, it's hard to make sense of this reply. the normal way of operating would be you pm'ing me after seeing the original post.

you can keep your invite aq.

• berkayberkay Member
    edited July 2020

@kerouac said:

@berkay said:

since the point of this discussion, started by myself, was asking for invites, it's hard to make sense of this reply. the normal way of operating would be you pm'ing me after seeing the original post.

you can keep your invite aq.

Do you realize that there is literally a week apart from your OP and my post, and more than two weeks apart from my post and this BS? And the previous post from mine, would you like to swear to that user as well for not PMing you directly? Maybe both in Turkish and English so people can understand what you did there?

On top of all that, do you even know that HEY was opened to public registration just two days after from my post? So you don't give a flying fuck about the service to look it up if it was opened to public, you don't come near this topic for weeks, but someone with an invite here should have let you know that they have an invite code? Are you serious?

• donkodonko Member
    edited July 2020

99$? nah i'm ok with my short @ tuta.io email, even with low disk space

• S4_JohnS4_John Member
    edited July 2020

Registration is open now, no need for invitation codes.

Edit: Just realised that @berkay already said that. Oops.

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • LeeLee Veteran

@donko said: 99$? nah i'm ok with my short @ tuta.io email, even with low disk space

For $99 you can't even add a signature to your emails on Hey.

• DevilDevil Member

A fad. Another service that finally decided to decide what is best for you. Another superhuman, but slightly cheaper.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

Well. in the mean time gmail now has those features right there in the web client at least.

• You’ve heard of the Hey.com email service, so here comes another new email Heyyyyyyyyyyyy.com. That’s right: It has 12 Y’s.

The new email takes a punch at Hey.com, exaggerating its sales pitch and features but heyyyyyyyyyy, that’s ok.

According to Heyyyyyyyyyy.com, email addresses cost $1,200 dollars /year – that’s $100 bucks per Y.

Gasp.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@amadex1337 said:
    You’ve heard of the Hey.com email service, so here comes another new email Heyyyyyyyyyyyy.com. That’s right: It has 12 Y’s.

The new email takes a punch at Hey.com, exaggerating its sales pitch and features but heyyyyyyyyyy, that’s ok.

According to Heyyyyyyyyyy.com, email addresses cost $1,200 dollars /year – that’s $100 bucks per Y.

Gasp.

Great value, first 2 letters for free!

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt