Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS for NextCloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS for NextCloud

jahrincjahrinc Member
edited June 2020 in General

Hello, I am looking for a storage VPS that I will use for NextCloud. The specs needed (must be able to later on upgrade if needed).

CPU: 2vcores
RAM: 2 GB
Storage: 400gb HDD
Network: min 250mbps
Budget: No set budget, best offer and download/upload will win. Either or.

Location: Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Utah, Montreal. (These are the locations I have gotten the best speeds and pings, though, I am open to other NA locations to see if it meets the needs.

Important: I'll be uploading around 200gb ( my home internet is 300/300 so I don't expect I'm going to be pushing all the 300.)

Thanks

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

If you want it reliable, go for NexusBytes or BuyVM :)

• @jahrinc said:
    Hello, I am looking for a storage VPS that I will use for NextCloud. The specs needed (must be able to later on upgrade if needed).

Location: Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Utah, Montreal. (These are the locations I have gotten the best speeds and pings, though, I am open to other NA locations to see if it meets the needs.

Important: I'll be uploading around 200gb ( my home internet is 300/300 so I don't expect I'm going to be pushing all the 300.)

Thanks

What's up boss, Join the family <3. For next cloud, hybrid storage might be the best option for you :).

NYC/LA : VPS-2G + 400GB Block storage with annual commitment comes down to ~ $10.40/mo https://nexusbytes.com/kvm-vps-hosting.html

You can also go with a simple combo of VPS-2G + Storage 0.5T combo (mounted via sshfs) : With annual commitment, comes down to ~ 9.6/mo :)

@FAT32 Thanks for the prem mention boss!

Thanked by 2FAT32 jahrinc
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2020

Howdy,

Join US!
    Los Angeles
    Ryzen 3900x Ryzen Storage = select 500GB = $4.90 USD
    https://my.letbox.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=118
    Ryzen 3900x NVMe + Block Storage select 500GB = $4.90 USD
    https://my.letbox.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=117
    Regards!

Regards

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

You can take a look at our Storage1TB plan: https://greenkvm.com/
    Available in Denver, CO & Atlanta, GA in the US.
    Thaks!

• The External storage plugin seems to work ok with B2's new S3 api, just make sure check for changes is set to "Never" otherwise you will rack up a load of class C transactions.

I've not tried setting nextcloud to use B2 as primary storage, it would probably work but not sure how it would behave in terms of usage charges.

Using external storage lets you do something like put the files you will be accessing a lot on the nextcloud server directly and files you won't on B2

• @jahrinc said:

Thanks

If reliability is a concern, I say Nexus Bytes. So far it's been 100% uptime except for scheduled maintenance, which is like under 30 minutes no more than once every 6-9 months. All my mission critical stuff are with Nexus Bytes. Buy with confidence, sleep every night in peace.

Thanked by 2seriesn jahrinc
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Maybe this might fit the requirement ?

1000G plan
    512 MB RAM
    1000 GB HDD
    2 core fair-share access include (Intel E5-2670 or better)
    6 TB bandwidth per month
    1 Gbit/sec upink
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv6

KVM powered VPS

Price
    $7/month or $35/semi-annually

To make the RAM 2 GB, it would be $3/month more (open ticket for upgrade)

Available at Los Angeles, California, USA (2 datacenters) and Atlanta, Georgia, USA

We've got templates for CentOS 6/7/8, Debian 8/9/10, Ubuntu 16.04/18.04/19.10/20.04

• kp93kp93 Member

Saw below @servarica_hani offer they are also good

Horse Storage Offer

3 CPU cores
    3 GB RAM
    3 TB Disk Space
    Unlimited 100mbps Bandwidth
    1x IPv4 included
    /64 IPv6 included for free by request
    $10.00USD
    Montreal

https://servarica.com/clients/cart.php?gid=52

• JarryJarry Member

I have Nextcloud running on Contabo's VPS. Mine is in EU, but they offer SSD-line in StLouis too...

Thanked by 1jahrinc
  • @key900 is where I have one Nextcloud instance=perfect
    @seriesn is where I trust my main USA websites=n'uff said.

• Ramnode's "Massive KVM" on Openstack/Fleio will also be suitable. 2GB RAM, 2 vCore, 650GB for $10/month.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Thanks guys, I'll be making my decision shortly, within the next couple of days since my next bill due is Jun 30th.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    @key900 is where I have one Nextcloud instance=perfect

For data syncing, I find Nextcloud's overhead to be a bit high, so I just go with dirt cheap storage servers and syncthing.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • jahrincjahrinc Member
    edited June 2020

@poisson said: For data syncing, I find Nextcloud's overhead to be a bit high, so I just go with dirt cheap storage servers and syncthing.

I see, any good Open Source calendars? That can be synced

• Go with hosthatch @Abdullah, nexusbytes

• @jahrinc said:

@poisson said: For data syncing, I find Nextcloud's overhead to be a bit high, so I just go with dirt cheap storage servers and syncthing.

I see, any good Open Source calendars? That can be synced

Here's what I do. I have a Sprycloud Nano plan at $0.00 per month (https://www.spryservers.net/clients/cart.php?gid=15) which is offered by a reputable host here (thanks @SpryServers_Tab) that I use for my calendars and contacts through CalDAV and CardDAV. All important information that needs to be available on my devices I just use Syncthing.

I use two VPS as remote servers for Syncthing (unlikely both go down at the same time), with my laptops, desktop and phone all synced as well. Technically, with Syncthing, you don't need a centralized VPS because it does P2P syncing and as long as say your laptop and phone are both online, they can sync to each other. If you can snag a dirt cheap server or two, of course it doesn't hurt to set up Syncthing on them anyway as the resource usage is really low.

If you are interested in data on Syncthing, you can see the statistics here: https://data.syncthing.net/

The memory use at the 95th percentile is 265MB (i.e. 95% of the Syncthing machines use 265MB or less). Pretty memory efficient.

• @poisson
    Thanks.
    I'll try this out.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • ardaarda Member

If what you need is only file syncing, I'd suggest you check Seafile. It's better in almost every way.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @arda said:
    If what you need is only file syncing, I'd suggest you check Seafile. It's better in almost every way.

The advantage of Syncthing is that you do not need a central server. As long as two devices are connected, all of them can sync. This is extremely useful in some situations, particularly when cost is a big consideration. With syncthing, you can technically incur zero server cost (or at least keep it down to an absolute minimum because its overhead is so low).

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@codedivine said: Ramnode's "Massive KVM" on Openstack/Fleio will also be suitable. 2GB RAM, 2 vCore, 650GB for $10/month.

Thanks for the mention!

• ardaarda Member
    edited June 2020

@poisson said:

@arda said:

The advantage of Syncthing is that you do not need a central server. As long as two devices are connected, all of them can sync. This is extremely useful in some situations, particularly when cost is a big consideration. With syncthing, you can technically incur zero server cost (or at least keep it down to an absolute minimum because its overhead is so low).

What syncthing offers which Bittorrent / Resilio sync can't ?

I almost never have more than one machine where I sync is online, so I'd need a central server, and that kills the purpose for me. So it's not feasible / is a plus for my case.

Seafile has client side encryption which you can enable for libraries, e2e, delta sync, selective sync, file versioning etc. You can also share libraries, and even create new users. Also not resource hungry. It has clients for almost every platform, including mobile, and open-source community edition is more than enough, and if you want pro edition (which I never even tried and had a need to look even), it's free to use for up to 3 members.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2020

@AlwaysSkint said:

Thanks you boss, you are great 👍

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @AlwaysSkint said:

That vote of confidence is why I do, what I do every day <3

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2020

Some performance stats..
    @seriesn to @key900 daily backup using rsync to Nexcloud WebDAV:
    `sent 2,984,702,278 bytes received 1,453 bytes 42,336,223.13 bytes/sec
    total size is 6,011,816,079 speedup is 2.01

real 1m13.754s
    user 0m13.840s
    sys 0m9.530s`

More than happy with that. :)
    (Both in USA)

• @arda said:
    What syncthing offers which Bittorrent / Resilio sync can't ?

I almost never have more than one machine where I sync is online, so I'd need a central server, and that kills the purpose for me. So it's not feasible / is a plus for my case.

Seafile has client side encryption which you can enable for libraries, e2e, delta sync, selective sync, file versioning etc. You can also share libraries, and even create new users. Also not resource hungry. It has clients for almost every platform, including mobile, and open-source community edition is more than enough, and if you want pro edition (which I never even tried and had a need to look even), it's free to use for up to 3 members.

I am not saying Syncthing IS ALWAYS better. I am saying in some cases, it is better than a central server. If you have terabytes of data to sync in a network, a central server will be a huge bottleneck.

Also, Resilio Sync works like Syncthing, but I prefer open-source options to closed source. That's all.

• ardaarda Member
    edited June 2020

@poisson said:

I am not saying Syncthing IS ALWAYS better. I am saying in some cases, it is better than a central server. If you have terabytes of data to sync in a network, a central server will be a huge bottleneck.

This totally depends on your server configuration. Also good luck when some of the clients' disks/data are corrupted by whatever reason on that scenario.

Also, Resilio Sync works like Syncthing, but I prefer open-source options to closed source. That's all.

Yup, agree with this.

I was suggesting Seafile over Nextcloud (tried both, never looked to Nextcloud back), but out of nowhere you mentioned Syncthing by quoting my (and other people's) reply, so that's all.

• @arda said:
    This totally depends on your server configuration. Also good luck when some of the clients' disks/data are corrupted by whatever reason on that scenario.

To be honest, data corruption is a problem that can happen regardless of P2P or centralized server sharing. I am just saying that if you have terabytes of data, or if you cannot afford a centralized server, Syncthing works well.

I was suggesting Seafile over Nextcloud (tried both, never looked to Nextcloud back), but out of nowhere you mentioned Syncthing by quoting my (and other people's) reply, so that's all.

I had already been discussing Syncthing way before you talked about Seafile if you have been following the thread. My point is that Seafile and Nextcloud both operate on a centralized server system and P2P syncing operates on a different philosophy, so people can decide which philosophy works better for them. I am not even making any judgment.

Thanked by 1arda
  • ardaarda Member

@poisson said:

To be honest, data corruption is a problem that can happen regardless of P2P or centralized server sharing. I am just saying that if you have terabytes of data, or if you cannot afford a centralized server, Syncthing works well.

Both Synthing and other modern syncing apps apps have file versioning, but you have to trust on some source after all. Imagine you have 20 clients on a decentralized file synchornisation cloud, and 4 of them have corruped disk drives / files, it'll be harder to revert to proper files because it's decentralized.

I had already been discussing Syncthing way before you talked about Seafile if you have been following the thread. My point is that Seafile and Nextcloud both operate on a centralized server system and P2P syncing operates on a different philosophy, so people can decide which philosophy works better for them. I am not even making any judgment.

Yup, I get you, and I have been following the thread, and my response was to OP, who was considering Nextcloud.

I only wanted to mention that not having a host machine is not always better for various cases.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • Syncthing : not if one of the sides is a small SSD. It requires data to exist on local like Dropbox IIRC.

• TejyTejy Member

I advise you to deploy any VPS/Cloud instance at Hetzner, or Scaleway Elements, install Nextcloud, and connect an S3 compatible service (like DO S3, SCW S3, etc).
    It will be cheaper than your original cost, with a VPS dedicated to storage.