Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VULTR Seattle Node Failure
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VULTR Seattle Node Failure

So yesterday I get this light hearted email from vultr telling me that my node is down and that they will investigate. 4 hours later I get a second notice that my node was toast and too bad for me. Oh yea, they would credit my account for 2 months out of the generosity of their hearts.

This is totally unacceptable. And it happened only 6 months or so after signing up. I'm glad that this was not a full production server. I was testing the waters to see if they were reliable. Now that I see they are not, I will stay with my other cloud provider who has been flawless for several years. I was investigating because I don't like to keep all of my eggs in one basket.

I sent a support request to close my account. I indicated my dismay and disgust with their company. I quickly got a response informing me that they would close my account without any apologies or explanations that any respectable company would have offered.

If this is how they operate, I doubt that they will ever make it to the big leagues.

Comments

• I mean boss, they are already in the big league :/.

For future reference, shit happens. Always keep your own backup. Always.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

You are using their service only for 6 month that doesn't mean the node is 6 month old.
    Disaster happens on every sector and hosting business is not an exception.

A server is an electronic device and it's not guaranteed that it will work forever.

A customer must have their own backup no matter if the provider claim to have back included in their service.

Last, I don't know what language you use on your support ticket but the host should not threaten their clients to close their account without any reason.

I this case I'm fully agree with you.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

Everything dies, eventually. To pretend otherwise is naive. Keep backups from now on and go on with your life.

• tetechtetech Member

My AWS server died too. I doubt they will ever make it to the big league.

• Username pixelpadre
    Joined June 2015
    Visits 1
    Last Active8:58AM
    Roles Member
    Thanked 0

Activity  Discussions 1  Comments

Good going @pixelpadre

• tetechtetech Member

@AC_Fan said:
    Everything dies, eventually. To pretend otherwise is naive. Keep backups from now on and go on with your life.

That's what I thought when my grandmother died. But the backup didn't work as well as the original.

• @pixelpadre said:
    So yesterday I get this light hearted email from vultr telling me that my node is down and that they will investigate. 4 hours later I get a second notice that my node was toast and too bad for me. Oh yea, they would credit my account for 2 months out of the generosity of their hearts.

This is totally unacceptable. And it happened only 6 months or so after signing up. I'm glad that this was not a full production server. I was testing the waters to see if they were reliable. Now that I see they are not, I will stay with my other cloud provider who has been flawless for several years. I was investigating because I don't like to keep all of my eggs in one basket.

I sent a support request to close my account. I indicated my dismay and disgust with their company. I quickly got a response informing me that they would close my account without any apologies or explanations that any respectable company would have offered.

If this is how they operate, I doubt that they will ever make it to the big leagues.

How dare they have a failing node. And how dare they not offer you a BJ for your troubles, and only 2 months free service.
    You are barking at the wrong tree, sir. Vultr has been beyond reliable, and yes - shit happens. But dismay and disgust? If a failing node gets you in dismay and disgust - you are living that good life.

Thanked by 2lentro Synatiq
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2020

@pixelpadre said: I will stay with my other cloud provider who has been flawless for several years.

No, you have just been lucky that one of their nodes that you were on did not fail as has happened with Vultr. No provider is immune to failing equipment.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Want to bet OP saved $2/month by not enabling backups?

@pixelpadre said: 4 hours later I get a second notice that my node was toast and too bad for me. Oh yea, they would credit my account for 2 months out of the generosity of their hearts.

This is totally unacceptable.

Man, you're whiny.

@pixelpadre said: Now that I see they are not, I will stay with my other cloud provider who has been flawless for several years.

Well, that can't be Digital Ocean or Linode. I know from experience it can't be Azure or AWS. So...who is this magical provider that has never had a node fail in their entire history?

@pixelpadre said: I indicated my dismay and disgust with their company. I quickly got a response informing me that they would close my account without any apologies or explanations that any respectable company would have offered.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@ViridWeb said: host should not threaten their clients to close their account without any reason.

OP never mentioned that they threatened to close his/her account?

Anyway, you should always have backup. period.

• Did your disk also got crashed or was the VM just down for that time? Is the data safe or gone too?

• Join upcloud then

• tetechtetech Member

@sanvit said: Anyway, you should always have backup. period.

That's what I told my girlfriend - I need to maintain a backup in case she dies or her performance degrades. She did not like it.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @tetech said:

That's what I told my girlfriend - I need to maintain a backup in case she dies or her performance degrades. She did not like it.

Thats why you need high availability girlfriend. One goes down - you can fallback to the other 2-3.

• @t0ny0 said:

@tetech said:

Thats why you need high availability girlfriend. One goes down - you can fallback to the other 2-3.

Unless none of them goes down.....

• OhJohnOhJohn Member

Now I want my vultr nodes dying every two month.

Thanked by 3raindog308 lentro mrTom
  • Brend4nBrend4n Member
    edited June 2020

As others mentioned, hardware failures happen, you're responsible for keeping your own backups. That being said, there are providers that have storage redundancy/failover in place to account for this.

I'm pretty happy with UpCloud and Genesis Hosting Solutions, which both have replicated/network attached storage. That being said, you should still have your own offsite backups.

• @tetech said:

My wife had the same reaction when I told her I would prefer to have a "hot standby."

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@sanvit said:

@ViridWeb said: host should not threaten their clients to close their account without any reason.

OP never mentioned that they threatened to close his/her account?

Anyway, you should always have backup. period.

Yep you are right. I just double checked.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • I have a question. If for example there is a failure on the host node machine and the as the client you are paying for daily backups with that same host. Where would the responsibility lie for restoring the backup? Should the host instantly restore the backup for the client and say “hey the host node had a critical failure but we saw you had paid for backups so we restored it right away to get you back up and running on another node”. Is that the proper method or is an email saying the node fail and then leave it up to the client to restore ...

I guess I’m getting at is how much is expected responsibility for the host to assist in getting clients back up and running. I feel it shows the “value” of clients on how much effort a host goes to in helping during critical/crisis times.

Thoughts?

• Hello, welcome to LowEndSupport. Feel free to take seat.

• @doughnet said:
    I have a question. If for example there is a failure on the host node machine and the as the client you are paying for daily backups with that same host. Where would the responsibility lie for restoring the backup? Should the host instantly restore the backup for the client and say “hey the host node had a critical failure but we saw you had paid for backups so we restored it right away to get you back up and running on another node”. Is that the proper method or is an email saying the node fail and then leave it up to the client to restore ...

I guess I’m getting at is how much is expected responsibility for the host to assist in getting clients back up and running. I feel it shows the “value” of clients on how much effort a host goes to in helping during critical/crisis times.

Thoughts?

Depends on the hosts TOS. I would say if you are paying for automated backups then yes absolutely, they should be readily available and restored upon request/automatically in the event of hardware failure. "free" or "included" backups probably shouldn't be considered the same way.

Thanked by 2ViridWeb doughnet
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited June 2020

@doughnet said: I have a question. If for example there is a failure on the host node machine and the as the client you are paying for daily backups with that same host. Where would the responsibility lie for restoring the backup? Should the host instantly restore the backup for the client and say “hey the host node had a critical failure but we saw you had paid for backups so we restored it right away to get you back up and running on another node”. Is that the proper method or is an email saying the node fail and then leave it up to the client to restore ...

This actually happened to me once. The provider I was using had daily backup included, and when the node went down, they recovered from the latest backup, than gave me a call regarding the restore.

Thanked by 2doughnet raindog308
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

This is what happens when you are too young to realize that shit happens in life.

Thanked by 1imok
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@aj_potc said: My wife had the same reaction when I told her I would prefer to have a "hot standby."

Some of those hot standbys have hourly pricing.

• @plumberg said:
    Username pixelpadre
    Joined June 2015
    Visits 1
    Roles Member
    Thanked 0

Good going @ pixelpadre

Digital Ocean shill

• imokimok Member

@corbpie said:

@plumberg said:
    Username pixelpadre
    Joined June 2015
    Visits 1
    Roles Member
    Thanked 0

Good going @ pixelpadre

Digital Ocean shill

I will keep my Vultr servers, they perform better than Digital Ocean.

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    Well, that can't be Digital Ocean or Linode. I know from experience it can't be Azure or AWS. So...who is this magical provider that has never had a node fail in their entire history?

Must be the next summer host that provides 100% guaranteed uptime & a bulletproof SLA!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • pbxpbx Member

Do they officially even use RAID now or is still "maybe yes maybe no"?

• PwnerPwner Member

@ViridWeb said:
    Last, I don't know what language you use on your support ticket but the host should not threaten their clients to close their account without any reason.

If you read the OP, you'd see the following:

@pixelpadre said: I sent a support request to close my account. I indicated my dismay and disgust with their company. I quickly got a response informing me that they would close my account without any apologies or explanations that any respectable company would have offered.

OP requested for their account to be closed, Vultr support didn't make any threats, they were following through with OP's request.