Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What 10Gb switches do you recommend?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What 10Gb switches do you recommend?

I am looking for some switches to connect storage to the computes. Juniper or Cisco? Or any other brand with a reasonable price? RJ45 or SFP? What do you think?

Comments

• If its just a few ports, this ones is good and cheap AF

• LeviLevi Member

Yep, mikrotik is the best for low end.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Juniper. SFP+ unless you need RJ45.

• @Tripleflix said:
    If its just a few ports, this ones is good and cheap AF

We need at least 24 ports or preferably 48 ports even stackable would be better I would say.

• @Clouvider said:
    Juniper. SFP+ unless you need RJ45.

What models and price range do you recommend?

• AndruAndru Member

Ubiquity can be also a good switch.

https://www.ui.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-2448/

Depends on the requirements. Are you looking to feed them with something bigger, i.e. 40G or 100G uplink to aggregation layer, or another switch ?

• @Clouvider said:
    Depends on the requirements. Are you looking to feed them with something bigger, i.e. 40G or 100G uplink to aggregation layer, or another switch ?

Thinking to have two 40G switches on the storage rack on aggregate level, and feed each compute rack one feed from each switch to one 10G with 40G switch on Compute rack

• @zuby2402 said:

I like the interface but it is not 10G switch.

• ServerumServerum Member, Host Rep

Arista, sfp+. They are very cheap (if we're talking about ebay) and reliable.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep

Arista 7050S-52 are reliable and not too expensive

Thanked by 2Yakooza feezioxiii
  • AndruAndru Member

@Yakooza said:

@zuby2402 said:

I like the interface but it is not 10G switch.

Ups.. they have some models with 10g port, but i think they are max 16 ports that switches. Im using ubiquity for i think 3 years with no issues.

Thanked by 1Yakooza

@Zare said:

You're talking EOL.

@Clouvider said:

Something like QFX5110-48S should be sweet.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • @Zare said:

How's the management interface?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2020

@Clouvider said:

@Zare said:

You're talking EOL.

@Clouvider said:

Something like QFX5110 should be sweet.

Ya i’m using QFX5xx since 2018 working great no issue so far.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep

@Yakooza said:

@Zare said:

How's the management interface?

Its not bad, Cisco style. Would be great for what you need it for

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Always liked the EX4500/EX4550. We had much better luck with the EX series than QFX.

@jbiloh said:
    Always liked the EX4500/EX4550. We had much better luck with the EX series than QFX.

Ex4500 - EOL
    EX4550 will need additional modules for uplink which brings the cost up but it's not a bad platform at all.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • @jbiloh said: EX4550

This one looks good.

@Yakooza said:

@jbiloh said: EX4550

This one looks good.

Really robust unit. Highly recommend it.

Thanked by 2nodesec Yakooza
  • TISSU on the QFX series have been awesome. Running a few QFX5100s without any major issues, although the software is a little... "interesting" sometimes compared to the EX series.

That said, the newer Arista switches also have awesome density at comparable, if not lower prices sometimes. Or, you could use that to nudge a Juniper rep to give you better pricing.

If you're looking for something on the used market without support, as mentioned above, the 7050 Aristas' can't really be beat.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • The Buffalo RJ45 switches are generally the cheapest on the market, but the fan in mine is the loudest equipment in my apartment. I'll probably replace it with an aftermarket one, one of these days.

One thing I've learned is that it always pays to invest into the best networking gear for your stack. Hard to beat the Juniper EX series for 10gbit distribution. As I mentioned earlier we played with some QFX units but ran into too many problems and abandoned the units in favor for the tried and true EX4550.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • @jbiloh said:
    One thing I've learned is that it always pays to invest into the best networking gear for your stack. Hard to beat the Juniper EX series for 10gbit distribution. As I mentioned earlier we played with some QFX units but ran into too many problems and abandoned the units in favor for the tried and true EX4550.

Nice, I am between Juniper and Arista. Which one?

@Yakooza said:

@jbiloh said:

Nice, I am between Juniper and Arista. Which one?

I have very little experience with Arista so I am not a good judge of their equipment.

That said ColoCrossing moved to Juniper exclusively at the core/edge/distribution years ago and it was an excellent choice. High, highly recommend Juniper products.

We continued to use a mix of Juniper and Brocade at the top of rack and have since recently moved all new provisions to Juniper at the TOR.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • HosthinkHosthink Member, Host Rep

EX4550 would be a good option. Expansion module capability is a plus.

Thanked by 1Yakooza