Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you define acceptable and good disk performance in 2020?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How would you define acceptable and good disk performance in 2020?

alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep
edited June 2020 in Help

Just one simple question: what figures (MB/s) would make you happy on a decent VPS and what would you consider unacceptable? Or, in other terms: what do you expect when you rent a VPS which claims to use SSD?

Comments

• Depends how much I paid.

Thanked by 1CConner
  • umiumi Member
    edited June 2020

It depends of the usage. if disk can load/save all the webserver, database, app server, etc, needs in peak moments without being bottleneck then it's ok. Nowdays even regular SSD is more than enough for most of the tasks. 50-100Mb/sec is plenty for me as my data is quite compact in size. for 18 Mb/s I'd open a ticket. If the system is constantly writes huge amount of data to ssd then it's often a design flaw and a big problem for a provider who must detect such tenants. I guess this is why the free and even $20 pro Cloudflare accounts with sporadical visits are washed fast from edge memory cache and not even allowed to be saved to ssd cache and have lots of cache misses. Nowdays I use CF only for DNS which is still working okay ;)

Thanked by 1alwyzon
  • As long as I don't notice a slowdown it is good. Honestly, I haven't felt any difference between SSD and NVMe until I benchmark.

Thanked by 2alwyzon sgheghele
  • jlayjlay Member

I expect little-to-no iowait, I don't worry so much about raw numbers. Transfer rates are well and good, but IOPs and latency matter more generally.

iowait tells us how much time the system spends just waiting on disk - as long as that's below ~5%, I'm happy

Thanked by 1alwyzon
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    • what for? For a DB I need quite different parameters than for large file storage.
    • depends a lot on the neighbours and related to that on the provider weeding out abusers.
    • what's decent VPS? Note that most of the most relevant factors are beyond clients visibility, let alone control (e.g. disk controller and connection, mirrored drives or not, RAM speed, etc.)

Very roughly guessing I'd say $/mo x 25 [MB/s]

Thanked by 2hohl alwyzon
  • There isn't really a solid number, as it just depends on too much. You need to consider IOPs, Type of Drive (Mechanical or not, as well as type of drive; m.2 / PCIe, or SATA). Then you also need to consider RAID types; RAID 0 / RAID 5 / RAID 10 improving speed. Also, how much you're paying for the amount storage you get.
    To be honest, I'm more than happy with anything above 100Mb/s, but it also depends on what I'm using my server for; gameservers will need fast storage, but if I'm using my server something else it wont matter as much.