Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Guide to Settingup Opennebula
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A Guide to Settingup Opennebula

I rent a dedicated server and plan to install opennebula on it. I am using minone installer, so far so good.

Import apps (Ubuntu), create the vm, attach the included virtual network to the vm.

The VM can Ping the host ip (it has 5 ips), but cannot connect to the internet.
Obviously I am missing something here, I have been on this for 2 days, still not a clue. Can't find any decent tutorial on setting up virtual network / nat.

What am I missing ?

Comments

• Never mind, I got it. all it takes is just 2 more days of trial and error.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Why not Proxmox ?

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • @leapswitch said:
    Why not Proxmox ?

The provider doesn't have proxmox image.

• @yokowasis said:

@leapswitch said:
    Why not Proxmox ?

Just need a clean debian image, to install proxmox and is better in terms of customised partitions etc.
    https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster
    I've installed Open Nebula on a cheap dedi but just can't seem to get my head around it - was thinking of wiping it and installing proxmox again. :-(

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • @AlwaysSkint said:

@yokowasis said:

@leapswitch said:
    Why not Proxmox ?

Just need a clean debian image, to install proxmox and is better in terms of customised partitions etc.
    I've installed Open Nebula on a cheap dedi but just can't seem to get my head around it - was thinking of wiping it and installing proxmox again. :-(

Too bad I already have my system up and running. I read on some reddit Proxmox is just another distro, installing Proxmox on Debian is just like installing Ubuntu on Debian. It's just not possible.

Although I am considering virtualbox. It doesn't mentioned a lot of here, what's wrong with it ?

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@yokowasis said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

@yokowasis said:

@leapswitch said:
    Why not Proxmox ?

Too bad I already have my system up and running. I read on some reddit Proxmox is just another distro, installing Proxmox on Debian is just like installing Ubuntu on Debian. It's just not possible.

Although I am considering virtualbox. It doesn't mentioned a lot of here, what's wrong with it ?

Proxmox build on Debian just like cloudlinux based on CentOS

You can install proxmox directly from that ISO without installing debian.

Anyway I did tery Opennebula and it's run perfectly fine for me. It's very easy and user friendly compare to others like Openstack.

Thanked by 1amarti_opennebula
  • Go with proxmox. It’s one of the best all in one Virtualization setups. I’ve been using it for years and recently setup a few more. Love being able to use snapshots, zfs and lxc.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I have three proxmox installations, one in particular has been running for about three years - solid as a rock.
    I just fancied trying out an alternative that was fully 'free' but need to spend more time with OpenNebula, I guess - different terminology and a 'modern' GUI, which isn't always a good thing. KISS.

• @yokowasis said:

I thought proxmox is the virtualization environment. is that wrong?

• @blackhiden said:

Proxmox essentially is just scripts and webui to manage open source virtualization of lxc and kvm. That is why it can be installed right on top of a Debian os.

• @blackhiden said:

@yokowasis said:

The first thing I do is google how to install proxmox on Ubuntu. And I can't find it anywhere, I only find a post on Reddit that says you can't.

The next logical thing would be to find alternative, and the next best thing I could find is opennebula. Too bad the documentation is vague, and the community tutorial on youtube is very scarce.

What took 3 days to do in opennebula, I can do it on virtual box in 3 minutes. I would go for virtualbox if my ego doesn't tell me to not accept defeat.

• @yokowasis said:

based on this https://www.stackshare.io/stackups/proxmox-ve-vs-virtualbox#:~:text=Proxmox VE and VirtualBox can,stacks and 4 developer stacks. virtualbox has good reputation.

I just want to ensure that we're talking the same thing. The main thing you want to achieve is to virtualize operating system, don't you? I've read some, in fact, proxmox is based on Debian buster.

Glad if you've had your choice.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited June 2020

@blackhiden said:

@yokowasis said:

based on this https://www.stackshare.io/stackups/proxmox-ve-vs-virtualbox#:~:text=Proxmox VE and VirtualBox can,stacks and 4 developer stacks. virtualbox has good reputation.

I just want to ensure that we're talking the same thing. The main thing you want to achieve is to virtualize operating system, don't you? I've read some, in fact, proxmox is based on Debian buster.

Glad if you've had your choice.

It's not my choice per se, I am forced to do this because of some misinformation on the internet. I have already deployed my Application and is being used for production right now. I don't know if reinstalling my server from scratch using proxmox will worth it.

I guess I will be using opennebula for something simple such as Ubuntu / Debian / Centos KVM and using Virtualbox for more complex VM such as Windows.

• We'll be releasing a new version of miniONE very soon, as part of the release of our new OpenNebula 5.12, so stay tuned! In any case, don't hesitate to use our Community Forum for support or to send us feedback about the issues you encountered while trying to configure it, so that we can fix it! :blush:

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Official OpenNebula representative (Open Source Community Manager) Alberto - @amarti_opennebula just joined LET!

Welcome Alberto :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@amarti_opennebula said:
    We'll be releasing a new version of miniONE very soon, as part of the release of our new OpenNebula 5.12, so stay tuned! In any case, don't hesitate to use our Community Forum for support or to send us feedback about the issues you encountered while trying to configure it, so that we can fix it! :blush:

Waaa. Welcome!

Thanked by 1amarti_opennebula
  • Now it's official! :D https://opennebula.org/firework Enjoy the new version!

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited June 2020

@amarti_opennebula said:
    We'll be releasing a new version of miniONE very soon, as part of the release of our new OpenNebula 5.12, so stay tuned! In any case, don't hesitate to use our Community Forum for support or to send us feedback about the issues you encountered while trying to configure it, so that we can fix it! :blush:

https://docs.opennebula.io/5.10/operation/network_management/manage_vnets.html#virtual-network-definition

The docs should have a way to create setup bridge / nat virtual network from the open nebula interface. Perhaps a screenshot, or even a Video. Or even better, port forwarding from host to vm.

It took days for me just to get the network up and running.

The first sentence on the page says define. But it doesn't where, or what file to edit. It just says "you would add". I literally have no clue where to add the codes.

The firecracker seems great. Perhaps you could make a comprehensive docs, on how to use / install it, or even video. Especially the auto scaling Features. That would be great.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Descriptions/screenshots are fine: not all are millennials. :|

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Descriptions/screenshots are fine: not all are millennials. :|

Yes. It's fine. But would be great. As of right now their video is just showing power point presentation. Should post more tutorial video on how to do things.

• edited June 2020

Hi @yokowasis, thanks for the feedback!

We are always trying to improve the documentation, so help from the community is always more than welcome! :smile: If there's something missing, or confusing/wrong, please feel free to update it directly via GitHub. Many thanks in advance for that!

As for AWS Firecracker, we are really excited about this new integration! We'll be producing some extra materials in a few days' time (apart from the technical doc that's already online) but, in the meantime, maybe you'll find something useful at the Screencast section in https://opennebula.io/docs/

Don't forget to join our Community Forum or our Newsletter for regular updates! ;)

PS - I was born in the early 80s... so I'm still a millennial, right?? :P

• is nebulla have any billing integrated ?

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@mgilang said:
    is nebulla have any billing integrated ?

I think @exception0x876 uses OpenNebula, perhaps he can chime in?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@AC_Fan said:

@mgilang said:
    is nebulla have any billing integrated ?

I think @exception0x876 uses OpenNebula, perhaps he can chime in?

I don't use this integration myself, but I heard of https://cubedata.net/opennebula