Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cyberpanel / directadmin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cyberpanel / directadmin

I lurk here for some time now. you guys introduced me to directadmin as I'm already a cyberpanel user, so I grabbed a trial version and gave it a go.
In my opinion that lack a ton of technical perspective here is (some of) what I found.

1- cyberpanel is easier to deal with.
2- cyberpanel has better SSL issuing (no wild card, but who cares) than directadmin.
3- cyberpanel greatly lack support.
4- Cyberpanel has nice Cloudflare API integration.
4- Directadmin have way more features. but the lack of documentation makes a harder learning curve.
5- Directadmin SSL is so weird, especially if you have Cloudflare as a frontline defense.
6- Directadmin CustomBuild is a really good feature, it will be greater if it's well documented.
7- Directadmin has a nice firewall integration.

those notes are not from 'provider' point of view, as I'm not and not planning to.
I know DA is paid while Cyperpanel is free, but hey both are not Cpanel or Plesk.

this post is not meant to compare both panels, but its more to encourage you to post whats you really like about DA, why you prefer it, what the small tiny detail you like the most that saved you time implementing manually.

So please tell me, why you like DA (other than price tag) over any other panels except Cpanel or Plesk.

Comments

• Directadmin is more popular, and thats must providers need because it is what customers want.

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

DirectAdmin has way more features and is so simple to use you don't need documentation.

DirectAdmin uses Let's Encrypt which is way easy to use. I have never had anyone complain. You just pick your domain and key length and type and click Save and you are done.

If software needs a manual then its too complicated or the person using it is not qualified to do what they are trying to do. When I opened DirectAdmin for the first time it was so intuitive documentation was not needed. The menu system was so self explanatory.

DirectAdmin lacks nothing. Its simply the best for the last 15 years that I have used it.

• @LittleCreek said: DirectAdmin uses Let's Encrypt which is way easy to use. I have never had anyone complain. You just pick your domain and key length and type and click Save and you are done.

I had issues with it when I have my domain pointed to Cloudflare nameservers. for CDN and proxy security.

and any software needs documentation. that's a fact and industry standards.

But that's a Let's Encrypt problem not DirectAdmin.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited June 2020

@mezoology said:

@LittleCreek said: DirectAdmin uses Let's Encrypt which is way easy to use. I have never had anyone complain. You just pick your domain and key length and type and click Save and you are done.

I had issues with it when I have my domain pointed to Cloudflare nameservers. for CDN and proxy security.

and any software needs documentation. that's a fact and industry standards.

How is that a problem? As long as the verification method is using domain name. Never had any problem. Perhaps you forget to add www subdomain. Because by default let's encrypt also verify www subdomain.

• @yokowasis said: How is that a problem? As long as the verification method is using domain name. Never had any problem. Perhaps you forget to add www subdomain. Because by default let's encrypt also verify www subdomain.

you can not verify your domain to get SSL from LE unless that domain is greyed on CF
    Also if you may, can you share specifically what you like about DA ?

• darvildarvil Member

Since you're connected to CF, why do you need letsencrypt? Did you try getting a free SSL from CF (origin) which is valid for 15 years? then install that on your DA SSL section.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

It comes down to how much stability you want.

I think DA is close to 18 years in business? and Cyberpanel is 1-2 years?

Not to mention DA have an actual team of developers. I think Cyberpanel is a one man band?

Thanked by 1mezoology
  • @lonea said: I think Cyberpanel is a one man band?

It's open source with some occasional contributors but IIRC, they have a security engineer and one more core developer. Not sure if the latter is still in team.

• @lonea said: I think DA is close to 18 years in business? and Cyberpanel is 1-2 years?

that's true. that's why I'm trying to get convinced to buy it.
    the point of this post is trying to get the people using it to share their DA 'hacks'. maybe enlightens me to something I didn't know about it.

Its not much that has to be hacked. It just simply works as intended. I can't think of anything it is lacking. Cpanel had a lot of extra stuff that a few people might want but not the majority. DirectAdmin is lightweight and fast.

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

I didn't like directadmin , it doesn't have bruteforce protection out of box and lacks many features
    Plesk is best panel in my opinion , They provide good support and it's cheaper If you buy it from hetzner , it cost only 18.70 euro for unlimited account

• @mustafamw3 said: it's cheaper If you buy it from hetzner , it cost only 18.70 euro for unlimited account

sadly it only comes with dedi not vps

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Directadmin needs documentation? I tried it out a while ago and seemed pretty easy to me. UI was pretty much self explanatory.

If you are going to use Plesk, just use Cpanel. Both are owned by the same company.

@mustafamw3 said:
    I didn't like directadmin , it doesn't have bruteforce protection out of box

Actually it does. Its on by default.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@elliotc said:
    Directadmin is more popular, and thats must providers need because it is what customers want.

Before cPanel updated their prices the DA wasn’t popular, so it picked customer base purely on price structure.

Plesk is great as alternative to cPanel.

@deank said: If you are going to use Plesk, just use Cpanel. Both are owned by the same company.

>
    They may increase license price in the future
    but no one guarantees that directadmin won't rise their license price

@mezoology said: sadly it only comes with dedi not vps

>

still cheaper than directadmin if you buy it directly from plesk store , it cost 25$ for unlimited account

Directadmin is great panel with good GUI but it lacks many features and you have to be familiar with cli to perform some task

@mustafamw3 said:

Directadmin is great panel with good GUI but it lacks many features and you have to be familiar with cli to perform some task

People keep saying it lacks many features but I haven't found any its missing that are really necessary and not just fluff.

• @mustafamw3 said: still cheaper than directadmin if you buy it directly from plesk store , it cost 25$ for unlimited account

I'm not a provider, so I only need the smallest package, and yes Plesk is the best one of what I looked into, I loved the Grafana thing, WP kit, security features. and CF API.
    and I hated the idea that DA charges you an extra $2/m if you wanted 1-click app installation.

edited June 2020

@mezoology said: I'm not a provider, so I only need the smallest package, and yes Plesk is the best one of what I looked into, I loved the Grafana thing, WP kit, security features. and CF API.
    and I hated the idea that DA charges you an extra $2/m if you wanted 1-click app installation.

Buy a vps from buyvm and you will get free directadmin with free Softaculous license

@mustafamw3 said:

Actually its Softaculous that charges the extra $2. Many hosting providers will throw that in if they are getting enough for the VPS. DirectAdmin does not have a builtin 1-click app installer.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • @mezoology said:

@yokowasis said: How is that a problem? As long as the verification method is using domain name. Never had any problem. Perhaps you forget to add www subdomain. Because by default let's encrypt also verify www subdomain.

you can not verify your domain to get SSL from LE unless that domain is greyed on CF
    Also if you may, can you share specifically what you like about DA ?

Actually you can. All the verification need is for it find the folder. .well-known on domain. The cloud flare doesn't block well known folder. Can't see the reason why cloud flare would make the verification failed on the let's encrypt.

I can think of 2 scenario. You don't point the domain correctly, or you the use force ssl on the cloud flare.

Cloud flare doesn't change the response of your server on any way. So there shouldn't be a reason for le verification failed.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@mustafamw3 said:

@deank said: If you are going to use Plesk, just use Cpanel. Both are owned by the same company.

>

Actually Directadmin do provide guaranteed protection from rising price on its present licenses.

• KodisKodis Member

Cyberpanel is free?
    For one domain... :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@ViridWeb said:

@mustafamw3 said:

>

Actually Directadmin do provide guaranteed protection from rising price on its present licenses.

Have you got specific in writing that in 10-20 years time you pay the same? What do you get if they do increase? Compensation or double difference back if they do increase? As no one can guarantee that due to various factors.

• doughnetdoughnet Member
    edited June 2020

@Kodis said:
    Cyberpanel is free?
    For one domain... :)

Thanks for the enterprise version. Isn’t the OLS version free for unlimited domains?

Edit: yes. Stated here
    https://cyberpanel.net/docs/installing-cyberpanel/

CyberPanel vs CyberPanel Ent!

CyberPanel comes with two versions one is simply called CyberPanel and the other is Called CyberPanel Ent. CyberPanel comes with OpenLiteSpeed and is completely free for an unlimited number of domains and worker processes.

• @lonea said:
    It comes down to how much stability you want.

I think DA is close to 18 years in business? and Cyberpanel is 1-2 years?

Not to mention DA have an actual team of developers. I think Cyberpanel is a one man band?

Cyberpanel is developed by the litespeed company. Correct me if I am wrong. But I think cyberpanel is not productive yet. At least not sell it to anyone.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@WebProject said:

@ViridWeb said:

@mustafamw3 said:

>

Have you got specific in writing that in 10-20 years time you pay the same? What do you get if they do increase? Compensation or double difference back if they do increase? As no one can guarantee that due to various factors.

Hope you are not blind or I'm not wrong. Check their plans they cleary saying "Protection against price increases"

@DA_Mark can you please confirm that if I'm right or wrong?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Personally speaking, asking for "price protection" is a senseless thing.

Everything goes up in price. Just compare your bills from few years ago with today's. Ask your wife about grocery bills. She will say it's been going up.