Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for email hosting with unlimited domains/accounts + ActiveSync
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for email hosting with unlimited domains/accounts + ActiveSync

Hey all, looking for an email host that lets you use unlimited domains and accounts (not aliases, separate inboxes) that also has support for ActiveSync (EAS). I was thinking MXRoute at first but I don't believe they support EAS. Anyone know of any similar alternatives with EAS support that are reasonably affordable and have fairly good uptime?

Thanks!

Comments

• I think drserver.net has some Zimbra-based email hosting package which should have ActiveSync enabled out of the box. Haven't really tested their services though.

• MailCheap has unlimited domains/accounts and supports ActiveSync

Thanked by 1cosmo
  • TejyTejy Member

Just use an Hetzner or Scaleway instance with Mailcow installed on it. Less than 3€/month and 10/15 min install max.

• Brend4nBrend4n Member
    edited June 2020

@Tejy said:
    Just use an Hetzner or Scaleway instance with Mailcow installed on it. Less than 3€/month and 10/15 min install max.

Mailcow recommends 4GB ram. So that’d be 8 eur on scaleway. Plus you’d prob want to setup a relay like SES for deliverability.

Thanked by 2BloomVPS dragon1993
  • cosmocosmo Member
    edited June 2020

Ended up going with MailCheap (thanks Brend4n for the recommendation), but after talking with their support it looks like they recently discontinued ActiveSync support :/ MailCheap looks like a great service but unfortunately ActiveSync is a hard requirement for me so I'll have to look elsewhere. Thanks for your guys' suggestions!

• Zoho has active sync for paid packages

• What is the benefit of active sync? I tried researching it but didn’t notice anything explain what is different with it than normal syncing of contacts/calendar/notes/etc.

• Brend4nBrend4n Member
    edited June 2020

@cosmo said:
    Ended up going with MailCheap (thanks Brend4n for the recommendation), but after talking with their support it looks like they recently discontinued ActiveSync support :/ MailCheap looks like a great service but unfortunately ActiveSync is a hard requirement for me so I'll have to look elsewhere. Thanks for your guys' suggestions!

Ah that's unfortunate. There are not many providers with unlimited domains/accounts. Your best bet is probably gonna be self-hosted mailcow w/ smtp relay like SES or sendgrid then (I just moved most of my emails to that recently, actually).

Hetzner with 4GB ram would cost you 5.83 EUR or netcup 5.29 EUR monthly. SendGrid would allow you to send 100 emails/day for free and SES is only $0.10 / 1K emails.

Tad more inconvenience to setup, but you'd be able to forget about it once setup.

Thanked by 1cosmo
  • cosmocosmo Member
    edited June 2020

@doughnet said:
    What is the benefit of active sync? I tried researching it but didn’t notice anything explain what is different with it than normal syncing of contacts/calendar/notes/etc.

It's a bit silly, but as far as I'm aware, on iOS the only way to get push notifications for incoming mail without storing your login credentials on someone else's server is by either by using one of the few providers with OAuth 2.0, or connecting through ActiveSync (which the stock iOS mail app supports). Through a regular IMAP connection on the stock iOS mail app you only have fetch available to you, which for obvious reasons is not a great way of getting notified of new emails in a timely manner. There's no IMAP IDLE support in iOS on a system level either, so that's also out of the question.

I have certain addresses where real-time push notifications for emails on mobile are critical, and I don't really trust random third party developers with my own login credentials (even if they claim it's encrypted), so out of the other options I have finding a good provider with ActiveSync seems to be the more economic choice.

@Brend4n said:
    Ah that's unfortunate. There are not many providers with unlimited domains/accounts. Your best bet is probably gonna be self-hosted mailcow w/ smtp relay like SES or sendgrid then (I just moved most of my emails to that recently, actually).

Hetzner with 4GB ram would cost you 5.83 EUR or netcup 5.29 EUR monthly. SendGrid would allow you to send 100 emails/day for free and SES is only $0.10 / 1K emails.

Tad more inconvenience to setup, but you'd be able to forget about it once setup.

Admittedly I'm a bit antsy about self-hosting email but I have heard very good things about Mailcow and using an SMTP relay is a good call. I'll probably spin up a Hetzner VPS and set this up today, just see how it goes and how I like it. Thanks again for the rec :)

• @cosmo said:

@doughnet said:
    What is the benefit of active sync? I tried researching it but didn’t notice anything explain what is different with it than normal syncing of contacts/calendar/notes/etc.

It's a bit silly, but as far as I'm aware, on iOS the only way to get push notifications for incoming mail without storing your login credentials on someone else's server is by either by using one of the few providers with OAuth 2.0, or connecting through ActiveSync (which the stock iOS mail app supports). Through a regular IMAP connection on the stock iOS mail app you only have fetch available to you, which for obvious reasons is not a great way of getting notified of new emails in a timely manner. There's no IMAP IDLE support in iOS on a system level either, so that's also out of the question.

I have certain addresses where real-time push notifications for emails on mobile are critical, and I don't really trust random third party developers with my own login credentials (even if they claim it's encrypted), so out of the other options I have finding a good provider with ActiveSync seems to be the more economic choice.

Thank you. Figured maybe that was the important factor. At a previous work I used the iOS app with outlook account and emails would get received instantly compared to my personal gmail account pulls every XX amount of time (set in settings).

Off topic: there’s no way to do active sync with free gmail accounts?

• cosmocosmo Member
    edited June 2020

@doughnet said:

Unfortunately not. There used to be ActiveSync support in the free Gmail waaaay back but Google ended up discontinuing it. G Suite does support ActiveSync, but the free Gmail doesn't anymore.

I believe there's some third party clients that are able to deliver push notifications with Gmail entirely through OAuth, though. Still storing an access token on the client's servers, but not as bad as your entire login credentials at least.

• lpnlpn Member
    edited June 2020

@cosmo said:

@doughnet said:

Another option could be to use pushover notifications. This could be done with many email providers by setting filters to forward some or all incoming emails or their subjects to a pushover email address which would result in a notification on the iOS device. This approach adds another point of failure, though. Pushover for a single user costs $5 as one-off fee per platform (e.g. iOS).

Thanked by 1cosmo
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@cosmo said:

@doughnet said:

Unfortunately not. There used to be ActiveSync support in the free Gmail waaaay back but Google ended up discontinuing it. G Suite does support ActiveSync, but the free Gmail doesn't anymore.

I believe there's some third party clients that are able to deliver push notifications with Gmail entirely through OAuth, though. Still storing an access token on the client's servers, but not as bad as your entire login credentials at least.

MXRoute uses CrossBox, which should support ActiveSync. Perhaps you can check with @jar?

• @lpn said:
    Another option could be to use pushover notifications. This could be done with many email providers by setting filters to forward some or all incoming emails or their subjects to a pushover email address which would result in a notification on the iOS device. This approach adds another point of failure, though. Pushover for a single user costs $5 as one-off fee per platform (e.g. iOS).

Thanks. Will look into that.

@cosmo said:

@doughnet said:

Thank you for the info.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Brend4n said:

@cosmo said:

just thought to recommend the self-hosted mailcow + SES, the cheapest option than any other ready made solutions.