Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Jon Biloh AMA (Interview Now Posted)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The Jon Biloh AMA (Interview Now Posted)

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited July 2020 in General

In line with other LEB interviews to date, we're going to do an interview of Jon Biloh on LowEndBox.

This thread is to gather questions that the community would like to ask. I will sort, consolidate, etc., have Jon answer, and publish the results on LEB.

The rules for this thread:

• Any (sane, legal, etc.) question is fair game. Focus should be on LET/LEB.
  • The entire content of your post must be a question for Jon. Other sentences clarifying, etc. are fine, but the point is to post questions.
  • If you like a question and want to "vote" for it, give the post a thanks. If we get a lot of questions, I may prioritize those that are thanked the most.
  • We're not discussing answers, potential answers, speculative answers, etc. in this thread. Anything other than questions for Jon is off-topic for this thread and will be removed.
  • This thread will close on Sunday, June 21 (two weeks after opening).

Interview has been posted: https://lowendbox.com/blog/interview-qa-with-lowendbox-lowendtalk-owner-jon-biloh/

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'll start:

• How much server horsepower does it take to run LET and LEB?
  • Why forum is still allowing hostile behaviour from some users, who are just here to bash LET/LEB one way or other ? Healthy criticism is acceptable but some users here are out for the blood...

• imokimok Member

Are you @WSS?

We all know who is, but I mean, who is for you.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2020
    • Why did you purchase LEB/LET?

• How do you plan on remaining neutral with regard to offers (considering you still have a working relationship with CC)?
      • What is your end goal (there has to be a reason why you bought LET/LEB; whether it is for profit, “self benefit,” or something else)?
    • Most importantly, you were an admin before acquiring LET/LEB -> why didn’t you make any changes (for the good/worse) then?

Edit: I don’t mind if you don’t answer these questions — feel free to answer as much (or as little) as you want.

• You regularly mention that you still do vaguely-defined "consulting work" for ColoCrossing. What is the precise nature of this work?

What involvement do @dustinc and RackNerd have with LEB? Does any money change hands for the exposure he gets on the site?

Does anyone other than you retain an ownership stake in LEB/LET?

• What is the approximate revenue from let/leb in a month.

• Do you paid or planning to paid admin/moderator here?

How has Cloudflare been and do you foresee staying with them for the foreseeable future? Any pros/cons with CF?

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@RickOShea said:

What involvement do @dustinc and RackNerd have with LEB? Does any money change hands for the exposure he gets on the site?

Hi @RickOShea,

That's a valid question - thanks for asking.

I do not own LEB/LET, nor has this ever been a discussion/proposal. If it were, I would likely consider it as this is a great community, which has experienced the bad, ugly, and good. In my opinion, Jon is doing his best to improve the community; that's only evident. And this is what keeps most of us all very active here, along with capturing business. I sincerely hope Jon's efforts continue as I'd like to find more ways to contribute to the community.

As a business owner, I am merely capitalizing on what is available to every provider/member. I contribute to the community in many ways, including paid advertisements on LEB & LET, submit offers every month to be featured (within community rules), advertise on LET, contribute articles for brand exposure, and respond to just about every question the community has for me, my brand and or helping others.

What may seem like awfully a lot of exposure, I am simply contributing just as anyone else can.

If anyone needs help or has questions, just let me know!

• edited June 2020

LEB/LET has lost it's roots of finding ways to maximize the potential of small amounts of computing resources and imho is now just a race to the cheapest price for the most oversold product.

In many ways, Linux has lots it's way as well in a similar arena ... that is, moving away from small stable monolithic applications to a mash of bloated multipurpose applications that may or may not work well, simply because computing resources are getting so cheap. (e.g. When is the last time anyone configured and compiled their own system specific kernels?)

How do you steer the content of LEB/LET back to it's roots? Or do you think we're too far gone to go back? The tutorials on LEB aren't really about optimizing or minimizing resources, they're just simple how-to's to get something running. Not seeing if they an run in minimal environments.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Tell us more about your life.

• How did you get into the server business?
    • How did you join Colocrossing?
    • Interesting stories?
    • What do you do now?
    • Anything else you think is interesting, or any life advice/tips?
    Thanked by 1alwyzon
  • When were you born?
    Where were you born?
    What is your mother's maiden name?
    What was the name of your first pet?
    Who was your first girlfriend?

You know, casual questions to get to know you better. Hehe

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2020

Are your decisions in running LET and LEB affected by CC? Could you elaborate?

• DazzleDazzle Member

Do you aware (before the thing happen) - or even involved - to the last blackfriday saga?

What is your plan to prevent from it happen again?

(About this: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/161957/psa-a-bunch-of-leb-hosts-deadpooling-arkahosting-supremevps-umaxhosting-hosting73-hostbrz-ku/p1)

• ChievoChievo Member

Do you plan to protect the community from summer/black friday hosts???

Do you plan to create quality content like guides ?

Which are your plans for the next 5 years for LET?

• ipv6. Nuff said.

PremiumN said: ipv6. Nuff said.

Is this a question about LET? Because...

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    lowendtalk.com.     299 IN  AAAA    2606:4700:20::ac43:4409
    lowendtalk.com.     299 IN  AAAA    2606:4700:20::681a:904
    lowendtalk.com.     299 IN  AAAA    2606:4700:20::681a:804

Thanked by 3PHDan mpkossen Ouji
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2020

Have you ever fired two guns while jumping through the air?

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    1. Why did you decide to create LET?
    2. Do you have a job or you're just a business man who owns LET?
    3. Who do you think the best provider on LET?
    4. Do you support SJW, fems and other lefties like a typical newyorker?
    5. What are your favorite movie and TV series?
    Thanked by 1boernd
  • @RedSox said:
    1. Why did you decide to create LET?
    2. Do you have a job or you're just a business man who owns LET?
    3. Who do you think the best provider on LET?
    4. Do you support SJW, fems and other lefties like a typical newyorker?
    5. What are your favorite movie and TV series?

Jesus Christ. But first question, he didn't.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
    • How would you compare LET to Hostballs and LowEndspirit?
    • Do you personally play with/use LowEnd (or other) VPSes?
    Thanked by 4jcaleb Ouji sayem314 imok
  • sonicsonic Veteran

Do you have Lowendspirit account?

Thanked by 3Chievo Ouji imok
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2020

What OS are you using at the moment?

• Why is @raindog308 compiling these questions/managing this thread when AMA stands for "ask ME anything"?

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@teamacc said:
    Why is @raindog308 compiling these questions/managing this thread when AMA stands for "ask ME anything"?

AMA is just the term used for someone answering questions for everyone else these days. Has it's own meaning.

Thanked by 1kalimov622
  • Will the real Jason from woothosting please stand up?

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint imok
  • What is your stance on being funded by server providers? Does RackNerd have any involvement in this services funding?
    What are the specs of LET's server?

• Why the special section/attention for Los Angeles hosting on LEB?

Thanked by 2sonic Ouji
  • @trewq said:

@teamacc said:
    Why is @raindog308 compiling these questions/managing this thread when AMA stands for "ask ME anything"?

AMA is just the term used for someone answering questions for everyone else these days. Has it's own meaning.

This was meant as a question for biloh.