Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

myLoc/servdiscount dedicated offers (i7, 32GB, 35€)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

myLoc/servdiscount dedicated offers (i7, 32GB, 35€)

dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I just saw on servdiscount.com (Aff.Link) (a brand by myLoc) some dedicated servers in Duesseldorf (DE) with i7-4790k, 32 GB RAM and various HDD/SSD options in the 35 EUR price range (incl. VAT). Other servers available as well.

Of course not the cheapest flash sales or black friday deals we have ever seen, but I'd say it's still quite competitive. That's why I thought to quickly share it here while stock is available. :)

Thanked by 2Ympker Falzo

Comments

• samipysamipy Member

Not worth it, they will limit port speed to 300mbit if you use 10TB B/W. Support is slow with no KVM support. I suggest hetzner instead.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@dfroe said:
    I just saw on servdiscount.com (Aff.Link) (a brand by myLoc) some dedicated servers in Duesseldorf (DE) with i7-4790k, 32 GB RAM and various HDD/SSD options in the 35 EUR price range (incl. VAT). Other servers available as well.

Of course not the cheapest flash sales or black friday deals we have ever seen, but I'd say it's still quite competitive. That's why I thought to quickly share it here while stock is available. :)

We saw that going down below 25, then it gets interesting.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Would be kind of interested if it was 20-25 as @Neoon mentioned.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

samipy said: they will limit port speed to 300mbit if you use 10TB B/W

Which is good, isn't it?
    So they include 10TB at 1G and afterwards you are still on a higher port speed than SYS. I would love to see my SYS boxes bursting 1G for the first 10TB. :)

samipy said: Support is slow with no KVM support.

Cannot tell much about support (didn't need it yet).
    Unfortunatelly KVM costs 25€/48hrs which isn't convenient.
    But if you love Hetzner vKVM, you can simple boot the server into rescue mode and start your own vKVM via QEMU-KVM. Works quick and easy.

samipy said: I suggest hetzner instead.

Definitely Hetzner will be the better choice in most situations.
    But some do not want to put all eggs into one basket. :)
    A dedicated server with 32GB RAM, 2x 500GB SSD and decent network isn't easy to find in Germany below 30 EUR (excl. VAT); even with Hetzner.

Neoon said: We saw that going down below 25, then it gets interesting.

Well, this if course would be LET. :)
    Considering 10 EUR is needed for power and cooling alone (power isn't cheap in Germany), network traffic doesn't come for free, and you can get two brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSDs (only 4 hrs lifetime according to SMART), a monthly price of 30 EUR (excl. VAT) does not sound that bad.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • boerndboernd Member

I have one of those servers with 4x 6000GB HDD for 35€. It seems this disk configuration is not available at the moment, so not really a deal.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@boernd said:
    I have one of those servers with 4x 6000GB HDD for 35€. It seems this disk configuration is not available at the moment, so not really a deal.

same here, was hoping to grab another one... however there are still some interesting offers from time to time with myloc/servdiscount and I haven't run into any troubles yet. network is fast my man!

dfroe said: I would love to see my SYS boxes bursting 1G for the first 10TB.

IPv6. 'nuff said ;-)

Thanked by 2vimalware Ympker
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I have a server with a myLoc brand (not a cheap server), had no issues for a few months now, network and routing is better than some others like Hetzner even.

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@MikeA said:
    I have a server with a myLoc brand (not a cheap server), had no issues for a few months now, network and routing is better than some others like Hetzner even.

Webtropia?

boernd said: I have one of those servers with 4x 6000GB HDD for 35€.

I see, that's indeed a big deal I couldn't hesitate. :)
    Looks like am haven't followed their offer frequently enough.

Do notifications on metadedi work reliably? I signed up for 35 EUR offers from ServDiscount but did not receive any mails yet although offers appeared on the website

Falzo said: network is fast my man!

And lossy / flapping... Seems like I grabbed a server in a rack with a defective uplink. Server and NIC port is running stable, but every 5-15 minutes the server becomes completely unreachable for 30-60 seconds, killing all SSH/SCP sessions etc. mtr nails down the broken part somewhere between their last L3 switch and my server.

Let's check the quality of their NOC. :) Ticket is already open.

Falzo said: IPv6. 'nuff said

You cannot compare RBX with LIM. ;)

• FalzoFalzo Member

dfroe said: You cannot compare RBX with LIM.

I am only talking GRA ;-P

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

Webtropia?

yes

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

myLock = Webtropia = Servdiscount

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • boernd said: I have one of those servers with 4x 6000GB HDD for 35€. It seems this disk configuration is not available at the moment, so not really a deal.

Ah, now that would have been an interesting offer. How long ago did you pick that up?

• +1 for myLoc

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Webtropia has some nice dedi offers at times :)

It took me two days to figure it out but I finally found out the root cause why my server went unreachable several times each hour for about a minute killing all sessions.

By the way, support was a bit disappointing. Yesterday I sent them a couple of traces and asked them to check for flapping links between their last L3 switch and my server and flapping ARP entries because their L3 switch is sending back "no route to host" ICMPs when the error occurs. Their first reply was "this most likely happens because your server is overloaded" (in fact it was idling with load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00). And their second reply was to share credentials to log into my server. I refused.

Instead I captured a tcpdump of my NIC which showed that the ICMP Pings simply stop arriving on my NIC when the problem occurs while other garbage traffic continues.
    I could also see that their L3 switches (Arista) are sending out >500 ARP requests every second for all kind of subnets - with a source IP of 169.154.x.x. Well, I configured my server to drop 169.254/16 packets. That's the reason why the switch lost the ARP of my server until it got refreshed when my server sent out the next ARP request for the gateway.

TL;DR: When using myLoc / ServDiscount / WebTropia: Do not drop 169.254/16 and/or create a static route for 169.254/16 pointing to your ethernet device (without gateway) to ensure communication with their L3 switches.

• @dfroe said:
    It took me two days to figure it out but I finally found out the root cause why my server went unreachable several times each hour for about a minute killing all sessions.

By the way, support was a bit disappointing. Yesterday I sent them a couple of traces and asked them to check for flapping links between their last L3 switch and my server and flapping ARP entries because their L3 switch is sending back "no route to host" ICMPs when the error occurs. Their first reply was "this most likely happens because your server is overloaded" (in fact it was idling with load 0.00, 0.00, 0.00). And their second reply was to share credentials to log into my server. I refused.

Instead I captured a tcpdump of my NIC which showed that the ICMP Pings simply stop arriving on my NIC when the problem occurs while other garbage traffic continues.
    I could also see that their L3 switches (Arista) are sending out >500 ARP requests every second for all kind of subnets - with a source IP of 169.154.x.x. Well, I configured my server to drop 169.254/16 packets. That's the reason why the switch lost the ARP of my server until it got refreshed when my server sent out the next ARP request for the gateway.

TL;DR: When using myLoc / ServDiscount / WebTropia: Do not drop 169.254/16 and/or create a static route for 169.254/16 pointing to your ethernet device (without gateway) to ensure communication with their L3 switches.

Sorry, why does your VM need to do fuck all with their switches? I don't understand how that affects your traffic. Sounds like "they're doing it wrong".

TimboJones said: Sorry, why does your VM need to do fuck all with their switches? I don't understand how that affects your traffic. Sounds like "they're doing it wrong".

Well, the question is how a customer's server exchanges ARP requests with the nexthop L3 switches. Their core switch infrastructure is fully redundant, i.e. there are two of them, sharing one virtual IP which the servers use as their nexthop IP.
    So the server only needs to resolve the (virtual) nexthop IP via ARP which worked in my case.

However both switches must also be able to query the server's IP in order to refresh their ARP entries. Since the physical switches have 169.254/16 addresses configured on their interfaces, they are sending out their ARP requests with those 169.254/16 address.

I myself implemented RFC 5735 dropping IP addresses which should not be used on the public internet - which includes 169.254/16, so I literally dropped the ARP requests from their switches.

Meanwhile I crossed the "L1 support barrier" and had a discussion with someone from their technical network team. We both understood this issue on a technical layer and came to the conclusions that they some kind of misused RFC 3927 defining 169.254/16 only for auto IP config usage, nothing else. They told me that they are going to optimize their switch config in their lab environment and are considering this for a future rollout in their datacenter. That's a pretty decent reaction I'd say.

Finally my overall impression is that they know what they are doing and they are motivated to react on feedback providing a decent service to their customers. It's not your typical one-man-show or summer host but still not as big as OVH etc. that they wouldn't care about their individual customers. Also pricing reflects this position between professional and low-end.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! And indeed, network is fast my man. ;)

Now I just need to wait for the return of that infamous 4x 6TB 35 EUR deal. :D

• @dfroe said:

TimboJones said: Sorry, why does your VM need to do fuck all with their switches? I don't understand how that affects your traffic. Sounds like "they're doing it wrong".

Well, the question is how a customer's server exchanges ARP requests with the nexthop L3 switches. Their core switch infrastructure is fully redundant, i.e. there are two of them, sharing one virtual IP which the servers use as their nexthop IP.
    So the server only needs to resolve the (virtual) nexthop IP via ARP which worked in my case.

However both switches must also be able to query the server's IP in order to refresh their ARP entries. Since the physical switches have 169.254/16 addresses configured on their interfaces, they are sending out their ARP requests with those 169.254/16 address.

I myself implemented RFC 5735 dropping IP addresses which should not be used on the public internet - which includes 169.254/16, so I literally dropped the ARP requests from their switches.

Meanwhile I crossed the "L1 support barrier" and had a discussion with someone from their technical network team. We both understood this issue on a technical layer and came to the conclusions that they some kind of misused RFC 3927 defining 169.254/16 only for auto IP config usage, nothing else. They told me that they are going to optimize their switch config in their lab environment and are considering this for a future rollout in their datacenter. That's a pretty decent reaction I'd say.

Finally my overall impression is that they know what they are doing and they are motivated to react on feedback providing a decent service to their customers. It's not your typical one-man-show or summer host but still not as big as OVH etc. that they wouldn't care about their individual customers. Also pricing reflects this position between professional and low-end.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! And indeed, network is fast my man. ;)

Now I just need to wait for the return of that infamous 4x 6TB 35 EUR deal. :D

Thanks, but I'm still "they're doing it wrong", and I guess you and them sort of agree. They should put whatever internal IP's on their infrastructure and not on yours. All you should have to deal with is your public IP routes.

• hzrhzr Member

dfroe said: Now I just need to wait for the return of that infamous 4x 6TB 35 EUR deal. :D

This would be make me want it.

edited October 2020

@hzr said:

dfroe said: Now I just need to wait for the return of that infamous 4x 6TB 35 EUR deal. :D

This would be make me want it.

Go for it, now is your time. ;)
    servdiscount.com (Aff.Link), i7, 32GB RAM, 4x 6TB HDD, with coupon code only 30 EUR/month incl. VAT.

• OhJohnOhJohn Member
    edited October 2020

I only see 2x 6TB, not 4x 6TB.

Wow, that was quick. I posted here just right after I ordered mine. At that time 3 where shown in stock.

Thanked by 1OhJohn
  • what's the coupon code?

@ucenter said: what's the coupon code?

The big banner on their website. 15% with SD-AUTUMN-2020.