Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap Dedi!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap Dedi!

Hello everyone,

I just joined today, got to know from my friends that this is a good place for looking for the stuff I require. :smile:

I'm in need of a dedicated server with the following specs:

• ~4 GB RAM
  • ~100GB HDD (or SSD) storage
  • Good CPU - Preferably Intel Xeon W-2145 or any other CPU >= 3.40 Ghz with 12 cores.
  • 1 public IPv4

As it might already be evident, I'm gonna be using this for mining cryptocurrency. I know all providers do not allow it, but on a Dedi it shouldn't be an isssue, so I considered posting here. Also, I'm really tight on budget and I'd be happy if I could get the above with $20-22 a month.

P.S.: I went through some of the previous discussions here. I want to make myself clear, I'm not looking for profit by mining, and I understand that I might be losing few bucks but it's alright. Thanks for understanding.

Looking forward to your replies!

Kind Regards,

Comments

• datadiskdatadisk Member
    edited May 2020
  • Hello @datadisk,

Thank you for pointing out that list. I completely skipped it while going through thi section.

However, to be really honest, I am expecting replies from providers here, cuz the plan I'm requesting is a custom one. I don't really need much RAM and storage and so I thought someone could quote me for a custom plan that'd fit into my budget.

Hope you understand!

• hzrhzr Member
    edited May 2020

No one really has a 100GB HDD laying around.. and if anything you're going to be paying more to customise hardware using valuable staff time.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Well, I just put 100GB to show that I need the minimal space. What I need is the CPU to be powerful ... hope you understand. As for the customization fees, if there's no setup I can spare an additional $5 maybe?

• custom /= cheap
    custom = bespoke

• For those sort of specs you’ll be looking more at a VPS, you’re unlikely to get 12 cores that you can use 100% at your budget though. Hetzner server auction might be your best bet but even then you’ll be tight on budget and won’t get 12 cores.

• sohamb03sohamb03 Member
    edited May 2020

Well, I might be ready to negotiate maybe 8 or 10 cores of a powerful CPU should do the job...

Also, none of the VPS providers allow mining, I asked a lot of them. :-(

• hzrhzr Member

sohamb03 said: As for the customization fees, if there's no setup I can spare an additional $5 maybe?

I'm reading this and looking at my invoice where 15 minutes of remote hands costs $110.

Thanked by 3Clouvider Ouji poisson
  • Well, if you don't have anything productive to add to this, why comment unnecessarily? I just asked for quotes .. if you can't give just forget.

• @sohamb03 said:
    Well, I might be ready to negotiate maybe 8 or 10 cores of a powerful CPU should do the job...

Also, none of the VPS providers allow mining, I asked a lot of them. :-(

Even thats beyond tight budget, you’re expecting to use 100% of cores (which is the reason most vps providers won’t allow mining). Best bet if you can increase budget slightly is hetzners server auction, there’s a fair few i7s/e3s that are always quite cheap.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @WSCallum Thanks for the information. I just took a look, however they seem quite expensive. €32 is largely off my budget. Do they get cheaper at times ... or hover around the €30 range?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited May 2020

sohamb03 said: Do they get cheaper at times ... or hover around the €30 range?

They reduce in price in a reverse-auction format until someone buys them. You can find an older i7 for 28-32 usually ex vat

sohamb03 said: Well, if you don't have anything productive to add to this, why comment unnecessarily? I just asked for quotes .. if you can't give just forget.

I'm not a hosting provider. PS: "don't comment on my thread" does not end well on LET usually.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Hetzner_OL
  • Alright, got it. Don't mind my comment though. :smile:

• hzrhzr Member
    edited May 2020

You're basically looking for a really oddball setup where it's all CPU, while most providers with ready to go machines have them somewhat balanced, like you're going to get 8-16GB RAM with 12 cores, no 100GB HD is sanely used in 2020, etc. If you want 1GB ram you'll probably get some Core2duo or Celeron.

Hetzner serverauction, https://www.nocix.net/dedicated/, Soyoustart flash sale are probably your best bet for about 30-35 EUR. I can't really think of any others.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I understand. BTW will a VPS with dedicated cores fit into my budget?

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited May 2020

@sohamb03 said:
    I understand. BTW will a VPS with dedicated cores fit into my budget?

Best examples of dedicated cores on VPS would be BuyVM and Nexusbytes for the power you need, you’d be looking at about $15-20 per dedicated core.

To be honest if Hetzner don’t fit your budget with their auction you stand very little chance with other providers

• Holy! That's insanely expensive.

• debaserdebaser Member

@sohamb03 said:
    Holy! That's insanely expensive.

Except that it isn’t. These are actually pretty low prices for VM’s with dedicated cores. You’re looking at double the price at mainstream providers.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Welcome to the real world

Thanked by 3t0m poisson hohl
  • $22 for 12 cores? Even finding 4 cores 8 thread is a challenge on that price range.

Perhaps looking them on your dream?

• @sohamb03 said:
    Holy! That's insanely expensive.

Well, most of the time, it's run out of stock. So I don't think people think it's that expensive.

• MoofieMoofie Member

From a quick google search, a Xeon W-2145 costs about $1200. For the processor alone, it would take the provider roughly 4.5 years just to break even. Not to mention you’re also looking to mine crypto, which almost any provider in their right mind would not want. GL OP.

• debaserdebaser Member

@Moofie said:
    From a quick google search, a Xeon W-2145 costs about $1200. For the processor alone, it would take the provider roughly 4.5 years just to break even.

The cheapest dedi with a W-2145 goes for $100 a month (Hetzner of course). OP thinks he can get it for a fifth of this price because he just needs 4GB of RAM.

It’s just bonkers. Of course everyone has to start somewhere, but I’d think that someone would have done some research before starting a thread. If OP had done that, he would’ve known that $20 buys him nothing more than an Intel Atom or an old Core i3 and if you’re very very lucky maybe an old Xeon or i7.

• Check out Dacentec. They have some amazing deals and based out of the USA.

• OujiOuji Member

Search for metadedi, you can look for cheap dedis there.

• This is Low End Talk, not Ridiculous Low Pricing Talk.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @CyberneticTitan All those offers are out of stock but it was a good deal.

Okay, say I double my budget say $40, can I get the specs I want now? Not the Hetzner Server Auction please, none of the CPUs are good enough to have enough hashrate.

@huntercop Thanks, I'll check it out.

• @sohamb03 said:
    Okay, say I double my budget say $40, can I get the specs I want now?

No you can’t.