Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cloud hosting companies with unmetered bw
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cloud hosting companies with unmetered bw

a7medo778a7medo778 Member
edited May 2020 in Providers

hey guys,
i am creating an HQ trivia like app, and needless to say the most expensive thing is the traffic when scalling on AWS and even DO.

scaleway is one perfect example of what i need, hourly pricing, 10gbps nics, unmetered.

but i thought i should ask what are the other options if they exist.

thanks

note: the encoder isnt resource hungry much, a 2 vCPU machine can carry 1000 subscribers, so key here is the bw nic for the 15 min a day

Comments

• edited May 2020

Keep in mind, true unmetred does not exist. If your usage is significantly higher than the average user you are eventually going to hit a fair use policy. The reason for this is easy, to any provider the uplink and thus bandwidth is among the most expensive resources and people don't run charities. At least with fixed bandwidth limits you actually know how much you can use.

Hetzner is probably the best you can get, cheap resources and 20TB limits on high speed uplinks. https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • WSCallumWSCallum Member
    edited May 2020

How much bandwidth are you actually using/needing? I'm gong to assume you probably don't need unmetered bandwidth having used AWS otherwise you'd be bankrupt.

Hetzner Cloud is a good option at 20TB a month.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Afterburst (@jackb) does unmetered in Germany and New York.

Thanked by 1jackb
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

Hetzner Cloud is both cheap and reliable, unlike Scaleway. OVH is also pretty reliable and has unmetered on their new VPS line. Those 3 are the main providers that are used for cheap bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • uzaysanuzaysan Member
    edited May 2020

İ think hetzner is best in this field. Even cheapest vps plan has 10gbit connection and 20tb bandwidth.

And even if you use all your bandwidth and need more, you can buy additional bandwidth for 1€/1TB

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Budget?

• @WSCallum said:
    How much bandwidth are you actually using/needing? I'm gong to assume you probably don't need unmetered bandwidth having used AWS otherwise you'd be bankrupt.

Hetzner Cloud is a good option at 20TB a month.

doing the calcuation, at a max of 500k users, its 2.3 petabyte :D

• @MikeA said:

1 Gbps NICs, meaning i need about 900 instead of 90 per show (if peak is reached)

• @AtlantiaCloud_Alex said:
    Keep in mind, true unmetred does not exist. If your usage is significantly higher than the average user you are eventually going to hit a fair use policy. The reason for this is easy, to any provider the uplink and thus bandwidth is among the most expensive resources and people don't run charities. At least with fixed bandwidth limits you actually know how much you can use.

Hetzner is probably the best you can get, cheap resources and 20TB limits on high speed uplinks. https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

i am really curious to see, i opened a ticket with them, and even talked to them on the phone, and they insist that it is as long your not doing illegal stuff

• per hour has no bandwidth included :neutral:

• @AC_Fan said:
    Hetzner Cloud is both cheap and reliable, unlike Scaleway. OVH is also pretty reliable and has unmetered on their new VPS line. Those 3 are the main providers that are used for cheap bandwidth.

actually i think i might just go with them, i already have a server there and pretty happy with the service, going to have to check how they count the BW for the hourly instances though

• @Clouvider said:
    Budget?

for hourly ? its kinda open 😂, my max scenario is provisioning 100instances 2 times a day for an hour

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Did someone mention Hetzner?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Jord said:

yep already signed up there,
    still waiting on the reply regarding hourly instances BW allowance.

and its a petty that they dont look to have a hosted Kubernetes option, or even a hosted scalable database, wouldve been useful for the other components of the app

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@a7medo778 said:

@Jord said:

and its a petty that they dont look to have a hosted Kubernetes option, or even a hosted scalable database, wouldve been useful for the other components of the app

It's prorated, so it's always cheaper to keep the instance running, as bandwidth overage is 1 euro per TB, but the total bandwidth allowance in a 2.5 euro VPS is 20 TB.

• looks good but whole backend is limited to 40Gb's, might get blocked soon lol

• @AC_Fan said:

@a7medo778 said:

@Jord said:

It's prorated, so it's always cheaper to keep the instance running, as bandwidth overage is 1 euro per TB, but the total bandwidth allowance in a 2.5 euro VPS is 20 TB.

yes, but i am paying a media encoder license per running instance, which is why i am always going to provision the biggest (at least till the network interface is theoretically 80% utilized)

does prorated means pooled?
    if thats the case, i can always provision additional instances at the end of the month to close out the overages

• a7medo778a7medo778 Member
    edited May 2020

mmmm hetzner dont have the option to attach your own image as well, but i guess i can try the snapshot feature

update: hetzner allows for 10tb for the hourly instance, which is pretty good

now searching for ways to scale mysql and docker (since they dont have managed services for that)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@a7medo778 said:

@MikeA said:

1 Gbps NICs, meaning i need about 900 instead of 90 per show (if peak is reached)

I don't know what this means?

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@MikeA said:

@a7medo778 said:

@MikeA said:

I don't know what this means?

It seems to be something based on 1Gbps port speed in place of 10Gbps, which increases the number of servers required by a magnitude (10x).

• TejyTejy Member

Scaleway ;)

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

a7medo778 said: doing the calcuation, at a max of 500k users, its 2.3 petabyte

From what you wrote it seems you're doing a video live stream, are you sure you can't offload it through a CDN? Talk to BunnyCDN

• It's been exactly 2 hours i signed up for Scaleway. I'm getting 1GBPS internet speed :smile: I guess it suits your requirements.

• hey guys,
    i am on hetzner now, provisioning 90 instances for the show and deroying it right after

thanks for the suggestions and help

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@a7medo778 - That's great to hear. :) How is the trivia app going? --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL still at sub 10 instances, but growing fast :P , would love a loadbalancer as a service though, managing ports is a pain

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

That's great to hear! This is one of the most popularly requested items on our customer wishlist. Our team is already at work on it. --Katie