Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need help to start domain and hosting company - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need help to start domain and hosting company

2»

Comments

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    I know many tricks to run a successful hosting company.

Like paid reviews? :-)

Thanked by 2armandorg imok
  • dahartigan said: Like paid reviews?

Well. If you're doing a paid review. You should do it right.

I mean...

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

Before you start, read what @seriesn says : 3

Always remember where you came from. Stay close to your root. Always remember how it felt when you had your first signup and how you treated your first 10 customers, when you were a no name brand. Be humble. While you might be good, but there will always be someone, who is better than you. Treat others, how you want to be treated.

Keep an open mind. Ask for feedback, listen to those feedback and don’t be defensive. Don’t be cocky and be respectful, not only to your customers, but to your peers, to other businesses. Remain professional, remain calm and be transparent. Tough times will come and you might feel like things aren’t going as you have anticipated. Do not freak out. Try to be creative and focus on keeping your heads up.

Never compete with price. You can’t compete with someone with deep pocket, neither can you compete with someone, who is here to make quick cash, default on their invoice and deadpool after couple of months. Focus on building a brand, money will follow.

You will make mistakes. Those mistakes won’t make you a bad person or a bad business. However, not learning from those mistakes, will. Tough times will come! It is just a matter of when. Be prepared for the worse.

Source : https://bit.ly/3c368Aq

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Remember this.

If you give him an advice that is longer than 3 lines, he won't read it and he will instead ask for a video tutorial.

• someshz said: Before you start, read what @seriesn says : 3

I fucking love this quote! Thanks for sharing :).

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • KatamazeKatamaze Member
    edited May 2020

I'm speechless... this thread looks like this one.

A person comes here to ask a question and many have this irrepressible urge to kill any form of debate with sarcasm and disrespect.

Paid reviews, nulled WHMCS, stupid gifs and images and this...

deank said: If you give him an advice that is longer than 3 lines, he won't read it and he will instead ask for a video tutorial.

Really? Okay, that's funny but are we on Youtube comments or on LET? :|

trewq said: The Golden Rule of LET is: Don’t be a dick.

Golden rule... I see. It looks the Holy Inquisition.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited May 2020

@Katamaze said:
    I'm speechless... this thread looks like this one.

A person comes here to ask a question and many have this irrepressible urge to kill any form of debate with sarcasm and disrespect.

Paid reviews, nulled WHMCS, stupid gifs and images and this...

deank said: If you give him an advice that is longer than 3 lines, he won't read it and he will instead ask for a video tutorial.

Really? Okay, that's funny but are we on Youtube comments or on LET? :|

trewq said: The Golden Rule of LET is: Don’t be a dick.

Golden rule... I see. It looks the Holy Inquisition.

What did you expect tho?

I mean, if a person wants to start a hosting biz, sure. But do some homework at least. There's no step to step to this.

Also, if he asks help with these things how much support do you expect from it when he gets it going?

• There's only one gif in this thread so I take that personally. </3

• serv_ee said: What did you expect tho?

Of course it can't be explained in a forum thread. Probably it would require an article of 2000 words just for the basics so... what about leaving the thread alone?

Moreover I guess people have more valuable things to do than playing the role of the holy inquisition.

More in general, I've seen this "holy inquisition" game many times on LET. Some people reply just to be cocky, no matter how intelligent or stupid is the thread.

Honestly, I find it annoying. It reminds me of "Roast me" threads on Reddit. That's the reason why I don't participate to this forum. The idea of being treated like this is not really inviting :p

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

@Katamaze said:

serv_ee said: What did you expect tho?

Of course it can't be explained in a forum thread. Probably it would require an article of 2000 words just for the basics so... what about leaving the thread alone?

Moreover I guess people have more valuable things to do than playing the role of the holy inquisition.

More in general, I've seen this "holy inquisition" game many times on LET. Some people reply just to be cocky, no matter how intelligent or stupid is the thread.

Honestly, I find it annoying. It reminds me of "Roast me" threads on Reddit. That's the reason why I don't participate to this forum. The idea of being treated like this is not really inviting :p

This is a public forum though. About hosting and hosting companies.

Sure, everyone can ask for help and all that but there is not "simple answer" how to set up an hosting company.

Simple question to OP, if a client comes in with a technical question or even the simplest "HURR DURR MY CRON DOESNT WORK FIX IT" can he answer that or help them out? If yes, good. If not...well, this is not the right place to start from for the OP. He would rather need to start from the other end of things, like learning that part first himself.

Sure, the easiest part is to take an reseller account somewhere and then pocket that 10-20% himself but the support is still on the OP not the "parent".

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I think I said this numerous times on LET.

In general, people start businesses in subject that they are well versed in.
    In lowend hosting market though, it is often the opposite. People (or kids) who are completely clueless about hosting begin their biz.

Some are even foolish enough to stick LEB logo on their images.

Thus, the end is nigh.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Well it's a fair point @Katamaze . I think people that are far away to understand what they are talking about and how hard is the route they may take should be answered in an empathic way, telling them it's way harder they can imagine because it's a real full time job with ton of R&D. Now i also understand that when you have someone "hello how i can be a provider, give me steps" it looks like that this person didn't looked for any available informations on forums (using search engine) ; and as a customer i would like not to see someone making a provider when he/she starts from this ; it's way too early and dangerous for his/her futur customers. Being a provider is a fucking big responsability!

So yeah, some people on LET are a bit sad/mad because they already got catched by a bad provider / a summer host. So i also understand that they are pissed of.

Whatever, i would like to see more friendly answers too, because when i see this i fear a bit to post my questions about hosting stuffs (i'm actually studying all responsabilities around being a provider, i maybe would like to start in the futur something but i want to be sure to be able to be serious enough to honor my responsabilities).

Thanked by 2RedSox teek
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Katamaze said: A person comes here to ask a question and many have this irrepressible urge to kill any form of debate with sarcasm and disrespect.

NO.

The poster did NOT come with a serious question. Read it again:

"Can some help with an exhaustive step by step to start a domain and hosting company"

• No effort shown on the poster's part.

• Not coming with questions, just a lazy "hey, can someone do all the work for me"

• No indication that he'd done the slightest amount of research or reading. I pointed out a famous book on this topic which anyone serious about starting a hosting business would have found and read in the first 30 minutes of research.

• No ideas or plans or effort...just setting down the bong and saying "hey, anyone got a complete step-by-step guide for me to make money? Exhaustive, please."

OP was no different than someone who said "here's my homework, please do it for me".

If OP was asking how to make buttered toast, that level of question would have been fine. But he's talking about starting a difficult-to-run business in a hyper-competitive market where he'll be taking other people's money and running a 24x7 service. And apparently all he can be bothered to do is ask for someone else to do all the work for him.

• I actually logged in just to respond to this specific thread.
    So glad an old and familiar nick, @raindog308 , saved me the trouble.

edited May 2020

raindog308 said: The poster did NOT come with a serious question. Read it again:

Such threads are posted also on other forums but they don't get so hostile, they are generally ignored.

Anyway over the years I've seen this same cocky attitude in several threads, including intelligent and constructive ones so I think that being cocky turned into a habit.

Even decent people are scared to open threads. It looks like if having a question makes an horrible person while the holy inquisition is waiting to disrespect you and review not only every word you say but also your avatar, nickname, website, signature including including things you didn't even think.

I don't want to offend anyone but there's too much frustration here. That's my opinion, not necessarily the truth.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • vovlervovler Member

@Katamaze Arent you being a bit hypocritical? You're not answering the question either.

If you are so worried about this thread having a serious answer, why not be the first to do so?

Katamaze said: Even decent people are scared to open threads.

Rubbish. Everyone can be anonymous if he wishes.

• seriesnseriesn Member

Everyone is fighting over who is right and who is wrong.

In the mean time, our one hit wonder OP disappeared. Basically @raindog308 in his college days.

Wham, bam, thank you mam.

Thanked by 1o_be_one

seriesn said: In the mean time, our one hit wonder OP disappeared. Basically @raindog308 in his college days.

Wham, bam, thank you mam.

True, I was more polite with my lovers then.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • SynatiqSynatiq Member
    edited May 2020

“No effort” is precisely how most of you started. It’s not an unrivalled genius industry - most 14 year olds could setup what he/she wants. You know that already.

It’s whether they’ll keep it alive or not, but you’ll fall for others’ deadpools regardless.

Chill.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member

@Synatiq said:
    “No effort” is precisely how most of you started. It’s not an unrivalled genius industry - most 14 year olds could setup what he/she wants. You know that already.

It’s whether they’ll keep it alive or not, but you’ll fall for others’ deadpools regardless.

Chill.

So why dont you post a step by step for him?

• bbn12bbn12 Member

you need a decent domain name, preferable a short and targeted com domain that can be registered. Please consider registering hosting.com or webhosting.com - that will be a good start and easy to remember URL for your new company :smiley:

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@bbn12 said:
    you need a decent domain name, preferable a short and targeted com domain that can be registered. Please consider registering hosting.com or webhosting.com - that will be a good start and easy to remember URL for your new company :smiley:

How about comhosting.web? Same words.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@Synatiq said:

Even 13 year olds and younger. I got a Raspberry Pi running some Python scripts with Pi camera for a security camera when I was in sixth grade. I wouldn’t say most kids that young can do whatever, though. I spent a full year trying to install Apache Guacamole on Ubuntu (and most people here can do it in a few hrs now). All of the missing dependencies, zipping, unzipping, and networking drove me crazy.

But yeah, some people will seem unlikely to succeed, but people learn computers quickly, and as long as they keep the service running well, who’s complaining?

• Regardless of whether it's your neighborhood shop or a large retailer, when a physical shop closes down then (for the most part) the existing client base simply move their business to another shop.

With webhosting, people are entrusting you not only with their data but also with the time that they spent to deploy and configure everything (OS, DNS, Apps, Workflow, etc).
    They do this with the understanding that you're not going to close-shop next month or the month afterwards.

It's not a secret that most people think web hosting is "quick cash" hence the summer hosts.
    This, coupled with the start-up strategy of "fail fast" means that a lot of people will try their hand at webhosting until (for whatever reason) they decide to leave the market.

For anyone whose lurked on these forums, especially from the earlier days, you'd know that people often get burnt whenever webhosters close. Affected customers don't only lose money/data/time, but now also have to experience the panic of looking for a suitable alternative to rebuild/redeploy everything again.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the (somewhat?) toxic environment of LET.
    However, when someone joins LET asking for a color-by-numbers plan to start a webhosting company (without doing any research or even searching LET for similar topics) then I have no problem with the "toxic" LET community starting a mosh-party on the thread.
    Why? Because, without the reality-checking-trolling, all webhosting-chancers will hook up with CC and be advertising their (lack of technical) services on LET.

If the OP or similar individuals are really determined to start a webhosting company, then some LET trolling is not really going to stop them but hopefully they'll find some gems of usefulness amongst the trolling.

If the OP or similar individuals decide either avoid webhosting or take a different approach to starting within the industry (i.e. start as support and learn the business), then I'd like to think that the LET toxicity saved the wallets of people who would have otherwise been victims (of a failed business).

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • lentro said: But yeah, some people will seem unlikely to succeed, but people learn computers quickly, and as long as they keep the service running well, who’s complaining?

I don't hold anything against young people running a service, but we must also be cognizant that a younger person would often be quicker to change jobs/roles/positions/industries as they get bored and wish to try out new things.

The impact of this is naturally the potential for existing webhosting services to either get neglected or just vanish one day. Webhosting is not a fire-and-forget service, though you can automate a ton of chores.

Transparency is important. If it's a hobby-type business, then label it so. But if it's a business-business, then the individual needs to treat it as such with the understanding that he'd need to do-right by your customers.. and not just "I'm closing next month cos I ran outta pocket money".

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Well I actually wrote a "dedi and vps hosting primer". That plus some of the providers comments there would be quite helpful for someone planning to enter the hosting business - but probably not if his plans aren't worth more than one to three lines to himself ...

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • The problems of a unregulated industry, where qualifications/experience are not a pre-requisite. Even the (semi-)relevant qualifications that are available vary wildly. :/

Thanked by 1o_be_one
    edited May 2020

@vovler said:
    @Katamaze Arent you being a bit hypocritical? You're not answering the question either.

If you are so worried about this thread having a serious answer, why not be the first to do so?

Actually I was in the process of writing a post about starting a small hosting business even if my target audience were web agencies and providers with custom & buggy panels.

I was doing some research and I've seen this thread on LET. I thought "Nice, let's see what people have to say on the matter" and boom! Disrespect and cockyness. And this happens almost every time I search for something on Google and end up opening LET links.

Personally I'm starting to discard anything that comes from LET when I Google for something. Most of the times I regret clicking. I'm not saying that it's all about cockyness but it's so hard to spot the actual content. That's my opinion.

Anyway of course OP is lazy as f*ck and I could also agree with you that he doesn't deserves anything from us. No answers, no links, no information but also no disrespect.

I don't get why for some people it's better to invest 5 minutes of their time to be cocky instead of trying to be helpful or do other stuff.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited May 2020

@Katamaze said:
    I don't get why for some people it's better to invest 5 minutes of their time to be cocky instead of trying to be helpful or do other stuff.

Because one day, they might, just might, wake up and smell the coffee i.e. use their own time to do some research/training, rather than hope to be spoon fed. :|

Thanked by 2BeardyUnixGuy Pwner