Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Uptime Monitoring Service? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free Uptime Monitoring Service?

2»

Comments

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@HBAndrei said:

quicksilver03 said: Clicking on the small "X" icon makes this banner go away but only until the next login to the dashboard. After the 10th time I had enough, so I removed all ping monitors.

That's cookie based, I'm guessing you are clearing your cookies a lot which caused the notice to reappear. Unfortunately the notice is needed there to warn users about the default CSF settings that heavily rate limit incoming ping requests, which in turn can cause false positive uptime monitoring notifications.

But really, if you're not clearing your cookies, that notification will only appear once a year after being dismissed.

I disagree. I get that banner every time I login, and I have cookies that are probably 10 years old in my browser.
    Fix the cookies or add a tag to the account instead that says that the user has already dismissed the banner = never show it again.

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • @HBAndrei said:

TimboJones said: UptimeRobot is better for free because of higher monitors and no hassling about monthly login.

Unfortunately processing monitors for inactive users is very inefficient. User signs up, adds their website(s), logs out and forever forgets about your platform. You end up having a lot of dead accounts and dead websites that your platform monitors for nothing, wasting away resources from active users.

I believe that logging in once a month isn't such a big hussle, but if it is, then there's always the $4.95/yr package, which I think is a reasonable option to disable this 'activity requirement'. It's just a nominal fee for us to know that even though you're not regularly logging into your account, you haven't completely abandoned it.

Cheers.

I hear you and you're free to add whatever requirements you want, but I agree to disagree on one month being an abandoned cutoff. You configure a sensor and if your servers work well, we don't get any notifications, so no need to manually login. Even if there was a problem, the notifications means you don't need to login. But to satisfy your requirement, one must login on demand or lose the account. No accounting for illness, vacations, etc circumstances. That's not proof of abandonment, just unavailable. I don't consider your "free" tier to be "free" in the usual sense due to this time limited requirement and the two cups of coffee sell.

Any other service I know of that removes inactive accounts are 6-24 months without login, so one month sticks out pretty hard. You generally want to incentivize users by coming to your site to make use of features and use more and more that benefits them, not to tick off a time suck requirement and FORCE users to begrudgingly login on demand.

• IMHO,
    Hetrixtools is a great service. One that's worth the asking price. It is a good thing that we could use the service for free. Else you'll have to make a payment every month. Login to he service isn't much of an issue and if I remember correctly, they send an email reminding to log in. However, I may consider paying the nominal fee in the future to avoid that too.

• twaintwain Member

The Hetrix paid plans appear to start at $70/yr, or am I missing something? Where is the $5/yr plan? Or is that just kind of like an “option” for the free plan?

https://hetrixtools.com/pricing/uptime-monitor/

• benj0xbenj0x Member

@twain said:
    The Hetrix paid plans appear to start at $70/yr, or am I missing something? Where is the $5/yr plan? Or is that just kind of like an “option” for the free plan?

https://hetrixtools.com/pricing/uptime-monitor/

Just click on "No activity requirement".

Thanked by 1twain
  • RamiRami Member
    edited May 2020

I'm using these two:
    uptimerobot
    nodequery

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

rcy026 said: Fix the cookies or add a tag to the account instead that says that the user has already dismissed the banner = never show it again.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the feedback.

@TimboJones said:

@HBAndrei said:

TimboJones said: UptimeRobot is better for free because of higher monitors and no hassling about monthly login.

Unfortunately processing monitors for inactive users is very inefficient. User signs up, adds their website(s), logs out and forever forgets about your platform. You end up having a lot of dead accounts and dead websites that your platform monitors for nothing, wasting away resources from active users.

I believe that logging in once a month isn't such a big hussle, but if it is, then there's always the $4.95/yr package, which I think is a reasonable option to disable this 'activity requirement'. It's just a nominal fee for us to know that even though you're not regularly logging into your account, you haven't completely abandoned it.

Cheers.

I hear you and you're free to add whatever requirements you want, but I agree to disagree on one month being an abandoned cutoff. You configure a sensor and if your servers work well, we don't get any notifications, so no need to manually login. Even if there was a problem, the notifications means you don't need to login. But to satisfy your requirement, one must login on demand or lose the account. No accounting for illness, vacations, etc circumstances. That's not proof of abandonment, just unavailable. I don't consider your "free" tier to be "free" in the usual sense due to this time limited requirement and the two cups of coffee sell.

Any other service I know of that removes inactive accounts are 6-24 months without login, so one month sticks out pretty hard. You generally want to incentivize users by coming to your site to make use of features and use more and more that benefits them, not to tick off a time suck requirement and FORCE users to begrudgingly login on demand.

Certainly a valid point. I realise it may be frustrating to have to log into the dashboard every month, especially if you're not actively using the platform to overview the activity of your servers/websites. However this allows us to offer the service for free for as long as you wish to use it.

Cheers.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited May 2020

Well beggars cant be choosers, I forgot to login once (after 30 days) and HetrixTools actually sent an email to inform me instead of just closing down my account. Cant really complain given the great service and the fact that they still give a grace period instead of just close down your account instantly.

With that being said, I would hope that HetrixTools could provide a slightly longer period during this pandemic because things can be quite difficult for some people.

• 4380043800 Member

HetrixTools does the job!

You can tell by the response here, it's quite popular.

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • donkodonko Member
    edited May 2020

anyone can advice monitoring service for servers like hetrixtool agent?
    (i want to check, ram, cpu usage on status page)
    i saw nodequery but is limited to 10 and don't see any option to pay for more slot

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

FAT32 said: With that being said, I would hope that HetrixTools could provide a slightly longer period during this pandemic because things can be quite difficult for some people.

Fair point. Changed it to one login every 60 days instead of every 30 days, and this will most likely be the new norm, even after this pandemic is over.

Cheers.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Thank you @HBAndrei!

• pbxpbx Member

HBAndrei said: Changed it to one login every 60 days instead of every 30 days, and this will most likely be the new norm, even after this pandemic is over.

Nice, thanks!

• @HBAndrei said:

FAT32 said: With that being said, I would hope that HetrixTools could provide a slightly longer period during this pandemic because things can be quite difficult for some people.

Fair point. Changed it to one login every 60 days instead of every 30 days, and this will most likely be the new norm, even after this pandemic is over.

Cheers.

Huge. Biggly thanks.

• @HBAndrei
    Nice one.
    Nothing's compares to yours in value now.