Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Uptime Monitoring Service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free Uptime Monitoring Service?

Is there any decent free uptime monitoring service? I know you get what you pay for so I'm not expecting too much. Something that checks a handful of IPs or domains every 5-15min and sends email alerts? Thanks

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Hetrixtools is popular here.

• uptimerobot
    nodequery

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • How many is handful ?
    I'm using hetrixtools free 15 Monitoring.

Or you can try uptime robot its free plan has 50 monitoring

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

HetrixTools is fantastic.

Thanked by 2HBAndrei Ympker
  • tetahosttetahost Member
    edited May 2020

Hetrixtools and nodequery are prem, you should check them.

Thanked by 2HBAndrei Iroshan464
  • Hetrixtools, easy to use

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • hetrixtools

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • I 've tried a lot, i've kept these one in my bookmark:

• UptimeRobot
    • FreshPing
    • HetrixTools

HetrixTools is the most complete/powerfull solution offered on a free tier. I wish they had a big discount again so i can get more probes :D!

First time i hear about NodeQuery, looks like it's still in beta. I will definitively take a look on it too! Thanks for sharing guys.

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • Only downside I see to HetrixTools is they want you to login to their website once a month to keep the free account active.

• @theblackesthat said:
    Only downside I see to HetrixTools is they want you to login to their website once a month to keep the free account active.

You can pay $4.95/yr if you didn't want to login once a month. i think its reasonable and its also helping the developr

Thanked by 2HBAndrei o_be_one
  • someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

UptimeRobot & Hetrix

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • mrTommrTom Member

UptimeRobot +1

• Another vote for UptimeRobot, I use it for all my personal servers.

HetrixTools is also good, though I was so annoyed by the notification about ping monitors in the dashboard that I moved all ping monitors elsewhere.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Hetrixtools is prem

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • quicksilver03 said: HetrixTools is also good, though I was so annoyed by the notification about ping monitors in the dashboard that I moved all ping monitors elsewhere.

Were you not able to set your notifications correctly oO?

• PineappleBoxPineappleBox Member
    edited May 2020

+1 For UptimeRobot and HetrixTools. HetrixTools has a few more features and (IMO) a better UI, but UptimeRobot is extremely simple to use. Both good services.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

I loooooove HetrixTools

• zatanaxzatanax Member

freshping.io for me

• _MS__MS_ Member

HetrixTools.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
  • bdlbdl Member

Hetrixtools and Uptimerobot +1, I also use statuscake.com

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • Nodequery seems a nice tool. Just added a few servers to test.

• ofitofit Member

Hetrix & UptimeRobot & Pinguzo

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • I use https://bearmon.com and Uptimerobot and self hosted PHP server monitor. Out of that I find bearmon very accurate.

• I'm using uptimerobot and hetrixtool

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • @o_be_one said:

quicksilver03 said: HetrixTools is also good, though I was so annoyed by the notification about ping monitors in the dashboard that I moved all ping monitors elsewhere.

Were you not able to set your notifications correctly oO?

I mean to the banner which appears as soon as you set up one ping monitor and which says:

You have at least one PING uptime monitor, please read this in order to avoid false positives.

Clicking on the small "X" icon makes this banner go away but only until the next login to the dashboard. After the 10th time I had enough, so I removed all ping monitors.

• UptimeRobot is better for free because of higher monitors and no hassling about monthly login.

• o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited May 2020

quicksilver03 said: I mean to the banner which appears as soon as you set up one ping monitor

Oh yeah right i've seen that too. It's a bit annoying yeah, i haven't checked if there is a way to just not show this notification again. Maybe we can ask them (are they on LET?)?

TimboJones said: UptimeRobot is better for free because of higher monitors and no hassling about monthly login.

:(

UptimeRobot is limited to what they can gather from your servers / online availability. You set probes to poll if TCP, SSH, ping or whatever is reachable. Metrics graphics are quite short but the service is really great for the number of probes you can set and quite powerful.

On the side HetrixTools provide a system daemon metric tool so you can view more from your serveurs: load, ram, network, disk... And you can even show it on your public page. You have also SSL check, domain expiry check, DNS check and blacklist check. I don't talk about all supported notifications systems. Public page are way more complete, showing system metrics you are willing to show to your public or your team. Yeah, it's limited to 14 probes per account, so UptimeRobot is a good alternative for all less useful stuffs.
    Dev asks less than 5$/year to remove your requirement to login every months ; it's terribly cheap! You can use an awesome/complete service for just 2 coffees every years (or even nothing if you are ok to log in every months).

I hope i've shared something you learned. I'm an happy user of UptimeRobot and HetrixTools.

Thanked by 2_MS_ HBAndrei
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

quicksilver03 said: Clicking on the small "X" icon makes this banner go away but only until the next login to the dashboard. After the 10th time I had enough, so I removed all ping monitors.

That's cookie based, I'm guessing you are clearing your cookies a lot which caused the notice to reappear. Unfortunately the notice is needed there to warn users about the default CSF settings that heavily rate limit incoming ping requests, which in turn can cause false positive uptime monitoring notifications.

But really, if you're not clearing your cookies, that notification will only appear once a year after being dismissed.

TimboJones said: UptimeRobot is better for free because of higher monitors and no hassling about monthly login.

Unfortunately processing monitors for inactive users is very inefficient. User signs up, adds their website(s), logs out and forever forgets about your platform. You end up having a lot of dead accounts and dead websites that your platform monitors for nothing, wasting away resources from active users.

I believe that logging in once a month isn't such a big hussle, but if it is, then there's always the $4.95/yr package, which I think is a reasonable option to disable this 'activity requirement'. It's just a nominal fee for us to know that even though you're not regularly logging into your account, you haven't completely abandoned it.

Cheers.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • Zilore is free. I've been very happy with it for 2 yrs