Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to Gmail (and Outlook)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to Gmail (and Outlook)

I've used gmail with my own domain for a few years but would prefer not to use Google products. Their spam filters are excellent and basically the only reason I chose to use them in the first place.

What's everyone else using? I'd prefer to avoid self-hosted as paying a few bucks a month for someone else to do the job right means I don't have to.

Comments

• I'd recommend zoho.
    its free for 5 users :D

And if its more than 5 they have $12/year plan per user.

Thanked by 2ricardo CalmDown
  • CabbageCabbage Member
    edited May 2020

ProtonMail seems to be a good choice in my opinion. They got their own app and have decent privacy practice.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • RedSoxRedSox Member

Tutanota is prem

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • Can't go wrong with Protonmail, and if you pay you can use your own domain.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Fastmail. Many people recommending otherwise just don't want to pay for prem FM.

ProtonMail is a-ok if that's what you want. Microsoft too. Yandex and Mail.ru are also decent and free.

DianTama said: its free for 5 users

No IMAP + blacklisted IPs.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • deer76deer76 Member

I have used https://mailbox.org for myself and some customers for a few years now, great service so far

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited May 2020

I've used ProtonMail, Zoho & MXroute. All are good and with the last being metaphorically local, why not.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • What about Yandex mail service. They offer custom domain for free of charge with some user limit I think.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

+1 for Yandex, it works alright and at least their motto ain't "Don't be evil"

Thanked by 1pbx
  • verjinverjin Member

Yahoo Mail :lol:

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Yandex mail, probably best after gsuite. I'm using on two of my domains since 2016 it's been flawless. Great service.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited May 2020

@Nyr said:
    Fastmail. Many people recommending otherwise just don't want to pay for prem FM.

ProtonMail is a-ok if that's what you want. Microsoft too. Yandex and Mail.ru are also decent and free.

Uh, no. Stay far far away from Yandex and mail.ru.

Well, unless you actually want your data given to FSB. And in Russia, thats not a request. Thats a law.

• vedranvedran Veteran

I'd rather not give my data to anyone, but for free I understand that's needed. Still I'll prefer to give my data to FSB than Google

• sanvitsanvit Member

MXroute is perm. You could also look at mailcheap.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • HostkeyHostkey Member

I know people using ProtonMail and they are happy, downside is they give only 500MB of storage for free

• kenhsongaokenhsongao Member
    edited May 2020

I recommend mxroute
    [removed spam]

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ricardoricardo Member

Cheers all

free

Paying ~$5/m is not an issue for me, the way I see it - let someone else do the job right for everyone using them and I can get on with other things. It's money well spent. Had a hotmail account for years and there's a lot of spam that hits that, and my inbox.

Will have a think about what's been suggested

• bdlbdl Member

Fastmail +1

• I was looking at mxroute so I don’t have to host it myself, but seems like there are no active promotions right now. Even the 99$ lifetime deal on their home page was taken down :(

• noamannoaman Member

@Nyr said:

I think Zoho has imap

https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/imap-access.html

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

noaman said: I think Zoho has imap

Sure, but not free, except for grandfathered users.

• TimRooTimRoo Member
    edited May 2020

@pobourgeois said:

I was looking at mxroute so I don’t have to host it myself, but seems like there are no active promotions right now. Even the 99$ lifetime deal on their home page was taken down :(

It’s still up on the middle of the home page. Just bought a lifetime package myself the other day.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

pobourgeois said: I was looking at mxroute so I don’t have to host it myself, but seems like there are no active promotions right now. Even the 99$ lifetime deal on their home page was taken down

@jar is cashing in.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • sanvitsanvit Member

iirc @SmallWeb is reselling MXroute for 9.99GBP/y. I can't seem to access their website though :(

@RedSox said:

sanvit said: perm

lol :D

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • @vedran said:
    I'd rather not give my data to anyone, but for free I understand that's needed. Still I'll prefer to give my data to FSB than Google

On a mission for suicide? Let's see, how many books are written about Google execs murdering citizens? Ok, let's see how many books are written about FSB killing citizens?

Why are people so fucking stupid? Seriously, seriously?!?! I know Russian's face non stop propaganda painting the West as their enemies, but FFS, that is just the goddamn stupidest shit I hope to read on the Internet today.

Thanked by 2serv_ee ernie88
  • MXRoute from @jar best bang for the buck (even more on Black Friday ; thanks for 3y of services already ^^)! Mailcheap looks also interesting on the side.

If i had more budget for this, i may think about ProtonMail as i respect a lot the way they handle privacy.

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited May 2020

@TimboJones said:

@vedran said:

On a mission for suicide? Let's see, how many books are written about Google execs murdering citizens? Ok, let's see how many books are written about FSB killing citizens?

Why are people so fucking stupid? Seriously, seriously?!?! I know Russian's face non stop propaganda painting the West as their enemies, but FFS, that is just the goddamn stupidest shit I hope to read on the Internet today.

Cmon man. American's face non stop propaganda painting Russia and China as their anemies as well. One day the young generation become grown, get the chairs and everything will be changed, at least I want to hope so ;)

Google is the CIA
    Mail.Ru is the FSB

If you live in the West, you do not fall under the jurisdiction of the FSB
    If you live in the East, you do not fall under the jurisdiction of the CIA
    Simple? Yeah.

BTW, the CIA has waaay more influence in the world than FSB has and, what's more important to me, the FSB still cannot record every your fart due to the backwardness of technology, but Google (CIA) can and Edward Snowden proved it and now he's outcast... And the owner of Wikileaks is under arrest now as far as I know...

I would not be surprised if a VPS that you bought from one of the represented here american providers is being tapped and logged be default and your data is flowing/leaking right to the CIA in real time. I aslo would not not be suprised if this will be read by CIA asap.

Anyway, let's not get carried away here :D the Big Brother is wathing us... We have to pretend we're stupid.

Thanked by 2TheKiller yongsiklee
  • @sanvit said:
    iirc @SmallWeb is reselling MXroute for 9.99GBP/y. I can't seem to access their website though :(

@RedSox said:

sanvit said: perm

lol :D

Sold out my friend :)

Thanked by 1sanvit