Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Sponsorship programs or Free ones..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Sponsorship programs or Free ones..

LordShenLordShen Member

I had posted about this earlier too and a good hosting provider The stack decided to sponsor me. But it looks like they won't be able to do the same in the future now that I need higher specifications.

So I have an opensource android rom project. Which grew substantially over the months now it have 400 members on telegram support with around 2000 downloads each month, its increasing and third party numbers are even higher.
When I posted earlier, I was the only one working for only 1 device but now we have 4 android devices to support.
I don't earn anything from the users not even from donations, no ads, no short links nothing. So getting a sponsored server is the only way I can keep up with this..

The requirements will be 8-10 core cpu, 16-20GB of ram and a 300-400 GB storage. I know its high but the clean builds will take 5-6hours for each phone even with these configurations without failing.

For returning the favor I can place an ad on my website and write blog posts and put you as a sponsor on XDA threads.
If you guys know any other vps that support open source projects like me then please guide me to them.

Thank You.

Comments

• So you need a dedicated server, at 8-10 vcores the price difference will be minimal and won't need to worry about usage. Out of curiosity, why not place adwords/similar alongside the sponsored ads your looking for? 400 members should be able to donate few bucks, or if not, create a donor tier or sponsorship.

Thanked by 1LordShen
  • LordShenLordShen Member
    edited May 2020

I could ask for a few bucks but the people donating will be very low to none + the android community isn't very friendly when it comes to donating. Also, I will have no other choice but to place ads if I couldn't find anybody helping me out.
    But I think its still not a bad thing to search for some free options if there are any for open source projects.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

With time you'll probably learn that it's better to ask for donations from your users and get your own resources than be worrying about goodwill from a provider and have no independence.

With that said, expect a very low amount of donations when compared to the number of users, so honestly at this stage you should consider paying the 15€/month which a small dedicated server will cost by yourself. It's just less trouble in the long term.

• AndruAndru Member

Or you can use hourly billing cloud stack, like hetzner vultr .. so on.

• edited May 2020

LordShen said: 8-10 core cpu, 16-20GB of ram and a 300-400 GB storage

I don't know anything about Android ROM development specifically but does the environment really burn up 8-10 cores and 16-20GB of RAM? That seems excessive to me.

For the final product download part, you could consider crowdsourcing the availability via torrent.

Thanked by 1LordShen
  • If you are telling the truth here, why not tell the truth to all users who use your application.

if they say donate 1 dollar every month, if there are 50 people donate, you can take the cheapest server on hetzner for example, and you can use it for your project 24/7 without having to worry if you lack the resources to create your custom android system.

Thanked by 2LordShen coreflux
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

Don't you think you are asking too much for free?

Don't you think you should shutdown the project which gives you nothing in return?

Don't you think you are putting so much burden on providers just to fulfill your wish?

Thanked by 2LordShen coreflux
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2020

Not gonna happen, especially when all of your "members" are just freeloaders.

A sponsorship link/banner might actually hurt a provider in this case. God forbid if service slows down for any reason. It will be like LET kid PMS. And the host will likely be DDoSed out of existence.

I've seen it happen more than few times.

• verjinverjin Member

@LordShen Please provide XDA link of your custom rom. Let me see if I can try your rom on my mobile device.

• @verjin said:
    @LordShen Please provide XDA link of your custom rom. Let me see if I can try your rom on my mobile device.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/asus-zenfone-max-pro-m1/development/10-0-project-sakura-t4099841
    Here its the build for Zenfone Max pro m1 only.. There is no GSI yet, so you will have to build for your device.

• @ViridWeb said:

Don't you think you should shutdown the project which gives you nothing in return?

Don't you think you are putting so much burden on providers just to fulfill your wish?

I know I am asking too much for free, But there are providers like the stack and packet and hostpresto that do support projects like mine.
    I just thought it should be good asking here too.

• @rajprakash said:

I don't know anything about Android ROM development specifically but does the environment really burn up 8-10 cores and 16-20GB of RAM? That seems excessive to me.

For the final product download part, you could consider crowdsourcing the availability via torrent.

My current system is a 4 core QEMU at 2ghz with 16 gig of ram. It takes 9 hours for 1 clean build and 7 hour with ccache.. so yeah android 10 is pretty heavy on the resource.

• Also guys..
    Thank you all for the valuable suggestions and insight. I hope I will be able to run the project for longer time period.

Thank you everyone.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@LordShen said:

@ViridWeb said:

I know I am asking too much for free, But there are providers like the stack and packet and hostpresto that do support projects like mine.
    I just thought it should be good asking here too.

Yes there are. Even we do sponsors if the projects have some serious potential. But your requirements are too high and zero returns.

If you need something special qnd powerful. Then do a project which has potential and can provide some return at least in near future

Thanked by 1LordShen
  • @rajprakash said:

Looks like you guys are misunderstanding the core here.. I am counting threads in it. So 8 core will be a 4 core 4 thread cpu, not a literal 8 core.

• LordShen said: Looks like you guys are misunderstanding the core here.. I am counting threads in it. So 8 core will be a 4 core 4 thread cpu, not a literal 8 core.

Can you do the build on your local computer and then just upload the final ROM product to a CDN or something?

• Looks fishy to me.

• Project isn't popular
    • Why not build on your PC and then upload it to sf?
    • You're already asking for donations and might be already getting enough to buy some servers for your needs.
    Thanked by 1coreflux
  • elliotcelliotc Member

You better learn photosynthesis. I've had a very bad experience with asking for donation years ago. The trend about donation has improved a lot over the years, but in many cases, users still blame you for "begging".

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • @rajprakash said:

LordShen said: Looks like you guys are misunderstanding the core here.. I am counting threads in it. So 8 core will be a 4 core 4 thread cpu, not a literal 8 core.

Can you do the build on your local computer and then just upload the final ROM product to a CDN or something?

Seriously cannot, I have a potato laptop haha..

@alexvolk said:
    Looks fishy to me.

• Project isn't popular
    • Why not build on your PC and then upload it to sf?
    • You're already asking for donations and might be already getting enough to buy some servers for your needs.

I have already been sponsored once btw from here, to begin with. I don't earn.. as you can see the website doesn't have any ads and short links.

• @elliotc said:
    You better learn photosynthesis. I've had a very bad experience with asking for donation years ago. The trend about donation has improved a lot over the years, but in many cases, users still blame you for "begging".

This is what most people suffer from, Android community don't donate easily..

• HostYDHostYD Member, Host Rep

@LordShen We would like to sponsor. PM to further justify your use case.

• While I appreciate your project and the open source community in general, unfortunately these kinds of resources are too much of a strain to do for free. I could possibly do at cost without margin, but not free.

• @AtlantiaCloud_Alex said:
    While I appreciate your project and the open source community in general, unfortunately these kinds of resources are too much of a strain to do for free. I could possibly do at cost without margin, but not free.

Thank you for the offer. For now someone have decided to provide me with a machine. But can I contact you in future for the offer? Not free I will be paying if i started getting donations.

• @LordShen said:

@AtlantiaCloud_Alex said:
    While I appreciate your project and the open source community in general, unfortunately these kinds of resources are too much of a strain to do for free. I could possibly do at cost without margin, but not free.

Thank you for the offer. For now someone have decided to provide me with a machine. But can I contact you in future for the offer? Not free I will be paying if i started getting donations.

Yeah of course, feel free to PM me whenever you are in need.

Thanked by 1LordShen
  • If you have a genuine project that is going to grow over time you need to look at ways of having some income from it to cover server costs, as they will only increase more and more as time goes on. Definitely look at advertising and donations, can you offer privildges/perks for a paid account, for example? Crowdfunding might also be a good option if its a unique project with good potential.

Thanked by 1LordShen
  • @ViridWeb said:

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • xaocxaoc Member

Well structured meaningless sentence here

signature spam #1 here
    signature spam #2 here

/profit