Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How reliable is VPSbenchmarks.com?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How reliable is VPSbenchmarks.com?

MmeMme Member
edited March 2020 in Help

Hi guys, As a newbie in unmanaged vps world, i have been using vpsbenchmarks.com to compare VPS plans between different providers and so far i've been left a little confused. As i am on tight budget, i don't have the luxury of time and money to play around the few i've narrowed down.

My preferred plan is the ramnode 2GB ram premium KVM but i'm a bit worried if 2GB would be enough to run a LEMP server (including all bells and whistle) with at most 1000 hits a day without hitches......

my other options are linode 4GB ram plan, hetzner cx31 8GB ram plan

Any idea what to check OR is there something i'm missing?

Thanked by 2Nick_A coreflux

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The question I would ask is, how reliable is your first post?
    See, that Genesis whatever that crap is, is always since the recent months in the top 3.

It somehow, always keeps up sticking there, since its getting benched.
    Its also recommend by VPSBenchmarks.com + affiliates.

Critical opinion inside me, would say, you have been chilled to post that here.

Thanked by 1Mme
  • MmeMme Member
    edited March 2020

@Neoon said:
    See, that Genesis whatever that crap is, is always since the recent months in the top 3.

Sorry sir if my question seems tacky and noobish.........but i'm trying to take baby steps into vps management so i won't mind a little hand holding

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Mme said: Any idea what to check OR is there something i'm missing?

Congrats on your first post

If your question is sincere, don't rely on any one site for a critical decision. This said, RamNode are well-regarded

Thanked by 2Mme Nick_A
  • MmeMme Member
    edited March 2020

@angstrom said:

@Mme said: Any idea what to check OR is there something i'm missing?

Congrats on your first post

If your question is sincere, don't rely on any one site for a critical decision. This said, RamNode are well-regarded

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your response...................but I really wish to be anointed with this your sixth sense so i can congratulate members on their first, second, third, fourth and even to their fifth post.

Forgive me if the question looks a bit suspicious, initially i wanted to request for a review but after following the providers poll n the result, i decided otherwise meanwhile i've been ghosting around the forum for a while

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @mne - RamNode is a solid provider - have a dozen servers with them for about 5-6 years now.
    Linode is also a solid provider - have servers with them for about the same length of time.

Hetzner is also very solid, of course, but I can't help but notice that you you kept going up and up while moving from Ramnode to Linode to Hetzner.

Any of these three you select I think you will be pretty happy.

In terms of running a LEMP stack with 1000 hits/day - 2GB should cover you if you do a bit of database optimization and whatnot.
    Of course, nobody knows what you mean by "all the bells and whistles" - and the above reply might vary widely depending on what those bells and whistles are.

If you run a massively complex PHP site, then 2GB might not be enough.

If this is a new project and you haven't had any benchmarks on it, then I suggest you start with 2GB on any of the 3 providers you mentioned, watch benchmarks carefully with any monitoring tool (munit, nagios, even glances) and then upgrade as soon as you feel you need it.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Thanked by 2Mme Nick_A
  • MmeMme Member
    edited March 2020

@Virtual said:

• RamNode is a solid provider - have a dozen servers with them for about 5-6 years now.
      Linode is also a solid provider - have servers with them for about the same length of time.

Hetzner is also very solid, of course, but I can't help but notice that you you kept going up and up while moving from Ramnode to Linode to Hetzner.

Any of these three you select I think you will be pretty happy.

In terms of running a LEMP stack with 1000 hits/day - 2GB should cover you if you do a bit of database optimization and whatnot.
    Of course, nobody knows what you mean by "all the bells and whistles" - and the above reply might vary widely depending on what those bells and whistles are.

If you run a massively complex PHP site, then 2GB might not be enough.

If this is a new project and you haven't had any benchmarks on it, then I suggest you start with 2GB on any of the 3 providers you mentioned, watch benchmarks carefully with any monitoring tool (munit, nagios, even glances) and then upgrade as soon as you feel you need it.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Thanks a million for this........i lack words to express my heart felt appreciation.

Sorry if this looks like i'm dancing around but i have a lean budget to run with and i'm also taking datacenter location into consideration as most of my traffic would be coming from Africa

Thanked by 1Virtual
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Mme

• I wouldn't trust vpsbenchmarks.com as they are owned by a cloud company, they have "featured VPS" (which usually is an indicator of biased "tests"), and other reasons.

• 1000 requests per day is next to nothing. I'm/have been running diverse sites and services, among them a quite fat wordpress site easily with 2 cores and 2 GB memory and, well noted, with far more requests than 1000/day.

• You are at a good place here at LET. There is plenty of providers and offers as well as quite a few people with solid knowledge and experience in diverse hosting related areas. One of the users here, @Neoon, runs a far better and more trustworthy "comparison" site of VPSs. Another user, @ServerHunter runs a site that I like for dedicated servers. Both sites enjoy quite a bit of trust by many LET users.

• As you happened to mention @Hetzner_OL , yes that is a very well reputed provider with very attractive prices and hence a good choice (at least if your audience is mainly located in Europe).

My personal advice: 2 vCores and 2 GB memory (from a solid provider) are plenty enough for you. If you are unsure just create a virtualbox VM with the parameters to be tested, e.g. 2 vCores and 2 GB memory and install the distro and software you also want to install on your VPS. While such a test is not precise it should give you a pretty good idea of how many vCores, memory, etc. you should need.

Thanked by 2Mme ServerHunter
  • @Mme said:

@Virtual said:

Thanks a million for this........i lack words to express my heart felt appreciation.

Sorry if this looks like i'm dancing around but i have a lean budget to run with and i'm also taking datacenter location into consideration

I'm very glad to help you with any information and advice.

It's OK to ask, and we've all been there at some point - with a low budget and high hopes.
    Just start with 2 vCPU and 2GB of RAM and you can very easily upgrade any of the instances with only a reboot.

Thanked by 1Mme

@Mme

Sorry, I saw just now that most of your audience is in Africa. Well, then find some looking glasses there to test the connectivity relevant to you to/from any VPS provider under consideration.

Thanked by 2Virtual Mme
  • @jsg said:
    @Mme

Sorry, I saw just now that most of your audience is in Africa. Well, then find some looking glasses there to test the connectivity relevant to you to/from any VPS provider under consideration.

+1

Definitely do some traceroute's to as many locations as you can.

Here's Ramnode's:
    https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=94

linode:
    https://www.linode.com/speed-test/

Not sure about Hetzner.

It depends where your customers are in Africa specifically, but I think your best bet would be somewhere in Europe. Probably UK or Spain because of the 'WACS' or 'ACE' major cable connections from Africa to Europe.
    You might also get decent connection to Miami through 'WASACE' cable.

Good luck.

Thanked by 2Mme Nick_A
  • ServerHunterServerHunter Member, Host Rep

jsg said: Another user, @ServerHunter runs a site that I like for dedicated servers. Both sites enjoy quite a bit of trust by many LET users.

Thanks for the mention! Our site actually covers VPSs, VDSs, and dedicated servers. :)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Virtual said: Not sure about Hetzner.

@Mme If you don't have much experience doing server admin yourself, then our cloud servers may not be the right fit for you. They are completely unmanaged. Here's some more info:
    https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/CloudServer/en

You can always just spin up one of our servers and test the performance. Depending on how many hours you do that for, it will only cost you a few cents. You can just delete the servers when you're done. --Katie

Thanked by 2Virtual Mme
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

@Mme If you don't have much experience doing server admin yourself, then our cloud servers may not be the right fit for you. They are completely unmanaged. Here's some more info:

You can always just spin up one of our servers and test the performance. Depending on how many hours you do that for, it will only cost you a few cents. You can just delete the servers when you're done. --Katie

I think his comment about Hetzner was about the fact that Hetzner doesn't have a Looking Glass, Test IP or Speed Test to check the network.

Thanked by 1Virtual
  • VirtualVirtual Member
    edited March 2020

@Hetzner_OL said:

Thanks for the reply, Katie. I meant that I'm not sure if Hetzner has a "looking glass" or online page that he could use to traceroute to your datacenter.
    Other than that, all 3 options mentioned (Hetzner, Ramnode and Linode) are unmanaged, so there is no difference there.

@AC_Fan said:

I think his comment about Hetzner was about the fact that Hetzner doesn't have a Looking Glass, Test IP or Speed Test to check the network.

Indeed - thanks.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Mme said: My preferred plan is the ramnode 2GB ram premium KVM but i'm a bit worried if 2GB would be enough to run a LEMP server (including all bells and whistle) with at most 1000 hits a day without hitches......

Thanks for checking us out! You can always resize to a larger plan as needed. We have our CLOUD25 promo still running.

Our cloud billing is hourly, with a $3 minimum to launch your first instance. We also have a 3 day full refund policy if we're not a good fit for you.

Thanked by 2Virtual Mme
  • MmeMme Member

Thank you all for the heads up, I'm very glad for the love and response gotten so far........

Shoutout to @virtual and @jsg for the detailed information...@Hetzner_OL thanks for the offer, i'll check it out

@Nick_A can i sent a PM?........i've some specific details i'll love to hear from you

Thanked by 2Nick_A Hetzner_OL
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Mme said: @Nick_A can i sent a PM?........i've some specific details i'll love to hear from you

Sure

• niyyieniyyie Member, Host Rep

Irrespective of the > @Virtual said:

It depends where your customers are in Africa specifically, but I think your best bet would be somewhere in Europe. Probably UK or Spain because of the 'WACS' or 'ACE' major cable connections from Africa to Europe.
    You might also get decent connection to Miami through 'WASACE' cable.

Good luck.

Nothing beats local hosting. There's still a lot of latency from African countries to UK or Spain.

Thanked by 1Mme
  • RedSoxRedSox Member

Is there any alternatives to VPSBenchmarks? And how it is true that Upcloud (which I've never heard before) and Kamatera on the top there? Upcloud says they're the best on their site, throwing some stats in which it's clear that they dominate.

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 2020

@RedSox said:
    Is there any alternatives to VPSBenchmarks? And how it is true that Upcloud (which I've never heard before) and Kamatera on the top there? Upcloud says they're the best on their site, throwing some stats in which it's clear that they dominate.

Most of the cloud providers listed there are top providers and well-known, except i dont know about that Genss cloud. That site have ugly site, no pricing page or menu. Looks like a click bait. Most of the providers listed there we have used for 5+ years.
    Upcloud and Kamatera are also known and good. We haven't actually tried Kamatera but we will be getting their services next month for our middle east location.

For the OP you should be in good hands with Ramnode.

Here's some providers in our list that we use:

Vultr
    Ramnode
    Virmach
    Ultravps.eu
    AWS
    Google
    IBMcloud
    DigitalOcean
    Linode
    Serverhub
    psychz
    Hosthatch
    BuyVM
    Aruba
    Smarthost
    Letbox
    Binarylane
    Upcloud
    Hetzner
    Leaseweb
    transip
    securedragon
    time4vps
    Lunanode
    ExtraVM
    Anynode
    Hostus
    first-root
    crowncloud
    alphavps
    inceptionhosting
    advancedhosting
    intovps
    freerangecloud
    servarica
    nexusbytes
    Leapswitch
    greencloudvps

• Webdock_ioWebdock_io Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2020

I can chime in here as a provider with first-hand knowledge of how vpsbenchmarks does things. The primary thing I would say is that their testing is both thorough and from what we could see was technically very well put together. Meaning, their comparisons - for what they are - should be a reasonably good indicator across all metrics how well a provider performs.

With that said we had a bit of a SNAFU with the guy operating vpsbenchmarks - we had two problems:

1 We pointed out to him how nonsensical it was to split all lists into two, where they put the providers that pay them money into a single list on top and then the rest in a secondary list near the bottom of all pages.

This makes it really hard to make a fair comparison between providers - and as a provider I would not want to be put in some "exclusive club" that feels unfair and spammy (and reduces the usability of the site in general!)

When pointing this out to him he got very defensive and argued that the providers which pay him money should "get something for their money". We tried arguing that merely being highlighted but placed on an equal footing would be much better for the end-users and would be vastly preferred by us. This argument fell on deaf ears.

2 He did not want to list us as we do not have profiles that are small enough! Our smallest profile has more cores than what he wants to list on VPSBenchmarks. They have a strange limit of just a few cores which they will test. The argument was that if they were to start allowing bigger profiles this would skew the numbers.

This, in our opinion, is simply a flaw in methodology. If he cannot account for variation in core count - then vpsbenchmarks is doomed to only provide a reasonably accurate picture of a small slice of the VPS market - and as higher densities and core counts start ruling the day in the years ahead, they need to think hard about how to fix things.

With all that said - navigating that website can also be rather challenging. It is frankly quite poorly designed from an information architecture standpoint.

Maybe it's time somebody else made a better more logically put together vps comparison site?

Anyway, for all these reasons - and probably because we pissed him off by providing reasoned and fair critique of how his site is put together - we could not be listed on vpsbenchmarks - which is a shame as we rocked all the price/performance charts :)

• @Neoon said:

I'm one of the Managing Directors at Genesis and only saw this post recently, so sorry for the late reply.

Genesis has no affiliation whatsoever with VPSBenchmarks.com. We pay for their service, to benchmark our service, just like all featured providers on their site.

Genesis' history is long. We previously provided VMware infrastructure (for a good decade or longer), but starting 4 years ago, we began concentrating on OpenStack. Most of our business includes private cloud deployments of both VMware and OpenStack now.

As part of our OpenStack offerings, we launch a public cloud running on OpenStack using the same technology we use to deploy private clouds. It is a feature rich service that launched with the newest hardware back in November, 2019, and we have grown the infrastructure with newer models of systems ever since. This is why you see us at the top of the list of the performance numbers on VPSBenchmarks.com - new hardware with good pricing.

If you are critical about something, I highly recommend simply asking vendors questions if you think they appear to be doing something out of the ordinary. There is likely a perfect explanation as to why. With that said, we invite you to try the service if you still don't believe what we say or what VPSBenchmarks.com's reports show.

• @jsg said:
    @Mme

• I wouldn't trust vpsbenchmarks.com as they are owned by a cloud company, they have "featured VPS" (which usually is an indicator of biased "tests"), and other reasons.

Again, Genesis is not affiliated whatsoever with VPSBenchmarks.com, but I wanted to comment that they are not owned by a "cloud company". It is one person who created, what we think, is the best benchmark site available. If you know of any others, please list them here. We're constantly looking for good, fair, benchmarking sites.

VPSBenchmarks.com has featured providers to support the site (I think it is now a full time job for the owner). This, in no way, creates any bias. You can read, somewhere on the site, a description of what is included for featured and non-featured providers. Every featured provider pays the same amount. One difference, for example, is that featured providers get 2 free private trials each month, so we can run our own benchmarks on, let's say, new VM flavors, to see if we have any issues we weren't aware of.

One of the primary advantages of his service is that he actually communicates with people, whereas every other benchmark site has been automated in such a way that there are no controls around what people can submit, which creates a complete mess. All of these have failed and seem to have nobody navigating the ship anymore. So again, if anyone knows of other sites that provide a great benchmarking experience, I'm all ears.

• Brend4nBrend4n Member
    edited September 2020

Can definitely vouch for genesis above. I found them on VPSBenchmarks and purchased a tiny VM about six months ago. I was a bit skeptical at first but the performance, uptime, and especially support has been outstanding (Thanks @ericmiller ).

They're definitely one of the best, if not the best, cloud provider we've used. Currently, we're using UpCloud and Genesis for production servers mainly due to the uptime and redundant/NAS storage. Many other providers would have random network blips throughout the month or issues with dataloss (Vultr, for example).

edited September 2020

@ericmiller

I take note of your comment but

@Webdock_io said:
    This makes it really hard to make a fair comparison between providers - and as a provider I would not want to be put in some "exclusive club" that feels unfair and spammy (and reduces the usability of the site in general!)

When pointing this out to him he got very defensive and argued that the providers which pay him money should "get something for their money". We tried arguing that merely being highlighted but placed on an equal footing would be much better for the end-users and would be vastly preferred by us. This argument fell on deaf ears.

(emphasis mine)

I'm doing benchmarks myself here at/for LET and I can speak from experience: It is of the utmost importance to be as fair and neutral as a human can possibly be.

One probably could make some money with a benchmark site to at least cover ones costs but then one absolutely positively needed to clearly and unmistakably demonstrate ones unconditional neutrality and fairness.
    Obviously preferring some providers certainly does not meet the required level.

• @Brend4n said:
    Can definitely vouch for genesis above. I found them on VPSBenchmarks and purchased a tiny VM about six months ago. I was a bit skeptical at first but the performance, uptime, and especially support has been outstanding (Thanks @ericmiller ).

They're definitely one of the best, if not the best, cloud provider we've used. Currently, we're using UpCloud and Genesis for production servers mainly due to the uptime and redundant/NAS storage. Many other providers would have random network blips throughout the month or issues with dataloss (Vultr, for example).

Agreed totally. I also found Genesis through that benchmark site and decided to give it a go. The VPS was and still is functioning very well.

At first I was unsure because I could not find any comments/reviews online so I decided to trust the site and rolled the dice. Glad I made the move.

Kudos to @ericmiller