Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens if I use high resources (CPU/RAM) on my VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happens if I use high resources (CPU/RAM) on my VPS?

I wonder how VPS providers (DigitalOcean, OVH...) would treat VPS users in that case.
Say my VPS is on 95 - 100% CPU usage over a period of 20 - 30 min, will they suspend my VPS or the resources are well restricted for each user?

Do you have any tips to limit the VPS so that it won't go over the "high" resource usage threshold?

Comments

• Usually they will throttle your vps or even suspend it. Perhaps try cpulimit

Thanked by 1goingtosleep
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Depends on the provider and product. You may want to look into a VDS to be on the safe side. netcup often has nice offers of VDS and is a decent provider.

Thanked by 1goingtosleep
  • Kiwi83Kiwi83 Member

I don't know about OVH but I once asked DO support about hosting a small game server, I'm told 1 - 2 hours of high CPU usage on their $10 VPS is "totally fine". I guess as long as you don't use that that much CPU on some dirt cheap Black Friday VPS you won't face any problems with most providers.

Thanked by 1goingtosleep
  • Nothing will happen

anymore.

Thanked by 1goingtosleep
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited May 2020

Kiwi83 said: I guess as long as you don't use that that much CPU on some dirt cheap Black Friday VPS you won't face any problems with most providers.

Exactly. In doubt ask your providers, some are fine with you using 1 core 24/7, some aren't.

Vultr, Netcup would be OK. I think it should be doable with Hetzner and Scaleway as well. Not sure about OVH but it seems to me that some users had a pretty heavy use of their VPS with no trouble. Virmach will shutdown your VPS if it's not just a temporary spike. If you're on a very cheap deal, better not use it too heavily, and the node might be oversold as fuck anyway (high steal time).

Thanked by 1goingtosleep
  • donkodonko Member

i used for 2 weeks 24/7 100% cpu on a hetzner cloud without any problem o:)

Thanked by 2pbx goingtosleep
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Depends on the provider, most will just throttle your service it it uses too much resources.

20-30 minutes of load shouldn't be a problem anywhere, except some low end providers.

Thanked by 1goingtosleep