Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is more stable? Core i7-3770, Core i7-4770 or Xeon E3-1245V2?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is more stable? Core i7-3770, Core i7-4770 or Xeon E3-1245V2?

KamalWKamalW Member

I am evaluating the old Intel server models Core i7-3770, Core i7-4770 and Xeon E3-1245V2 to run Ubuntu 18.04.

Are they equally good in terms of stability or would you suggest one over the others? Or else, are all those models not good?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

This is like asking which cheese is more stinky.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • boerndboernd Member
    edited May 2020

The E3 can use ECC memory, so a server with this CPU could be more stable if the server is equipped with ECC memory.

• SoftShellWebSoftShellWeb Member, Patron Provider

What are you planing to use the server for?

Without knowing the intended usage, I would choose the Xeon E3-1245V2.

• imokimok Member

deank said: This is like asking which cheese is more stinky.

Which one is it?

• berkayberkay Member

Looking at the chips, I’m gonna make a wild guess and presume that you’re trying to pick a server from Hetzner’s server auction. If this is the case, I’ve tried both i7’s and they are both really stable, with arguably close performance (I remember this E3 to be a bit slow but I’m not sure). So, if your use case is not too mission critical, I’d say take the cheapest with the better disk.

• Given what you said, I think I'd be making a good guess at saying you're comparing hetzner's auction servers. When it comes to raw CPU performance, the i7-4770 is slightly better in both single and multi threaded workloads. As for the Xeon E3-1245V2, (If you are using Hetzner), they usually come with ECC memory and intel NIC cards (Please check to verify this before-hand), which would be more stable in terms of network and memory. It really comes down to what you're going to do, but hopefully I helped a bit.

• E3 is more stable but I would prefer 4770 for extra performance.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@imok said:
    Which one is it?

They are all the same in the end.

• KamalWKamalW Member

@SoftShellWeb said:
    What are you planing to use the server for?

Without knowing the intended usage, I would choose the Xeon E3-1245V2.

Thank you.

For many purposes including DNS, email, web, databases and so on. Particularly I am keen to get some dynamic websites and web applications to run with lesser downtimes. I am thinking about a redundant server model to have them available during system upgrades and minimize the interruptions caused by unexpected events.

• KamalWKamalW Member

@boernd said:
    The E3 can use ECC memory, so a server with this CPU could be more stable if the server is equipped with ECC memory.

Thanks. I have so far not had my own ECC memory fitted server. May be I should try one this time.

• @KamalW said:

@boernd said:

Thanks. I have so far not had my own ECC memory fitted server. May be I should try one this time.

Just remember raid isn’t a backup so make sure you find something off server if you want stability.

• KamalWKamalW Member

@berkay said:
    Looking at the chips, I’m gonna make a wild guess and presume that you’re trying to pick a server from Hetzner’s server auction. If this is the case, I’ve tried both i7’s and they are both really stable, with arguably close performance (I remember this E3 to be a bit slow but I’m not sure). So, if your use case is not too mission critical, I’d say take the cheapest with the better disk.

Thanks. Let there be many more Hetzner like companies around!

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • KamalWKamalW Member

@PineappleBox said:
    It really comes down to what you're going to do, but hopefully I helped a bit.

Thank you. "a bit" of help is not taken as "a bit".

• KamalWKamalW Member

@sayem314 said:
    E3 is more stable but I would prefer 4770 for extra performance.

Thanks. This time I am after more stability.

• KamalWKamalW Member

@deank said:
    They are all the same in the end.

Thanks. I wanted to get a sense of what others may have experienced.

• KamalWKamalW Member

@DrFallen said:
    Just remember raid isn’t a backup so make sure you find something off server if you want stability.

Oh.... what I had been thinking for ages but not done. I promise I'll do it tomorrow :wink:

• daozhidaozhi Member

i7-3770 in HZ sometimes is no so stable. I just cancelled one which is always down and has to be reboot manually.

• pikepike Veteran

@daozhi said:
    i7-3770 in HZ sometimes is no so stable. I just cancelled one which is always down and has to be reboot manually.

Instead of contacting support you just let the server go, so the next person gets a broken server from the auction. Well played.

• If you can, add more ram. You need it if you want to maximize the power of these servers

• daozhidaozhi Member

Of course I report the problem and communicate with them for serveral times. Maybe just because of the libtorrent version which I'm using to torrent. Besides I'm not the only one encountering the similar problem with i7-3770.

It's not my responsiblity to make the server working all right. You can help them. The model is SB51 with datacenter ssd 960G.

@pike said:

@daozhi said:

Instead of contacting support you just let the server go, so the next person gets a broken server from the auction. Well played.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi @daozhi - It sounds like you're dissatisfied with our support team. If you have at ticket number, I would be curious to see what happened in your case and what our team could possibly have done better. Thanks in advance! --Katie

• daozhidaozhi Member

Actually, your support is quick and effective.Maybe just because some packages are not so well compatible with i7-3770 cpu or its motherboard.

I already cancelled that server and will choose another one. Thanks anyway!

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi @daozhi - It sounds like you're dissatisfied with our support team. If you have at ticket number, I would be curious to see what happened in your case and what our team could possibly have done better. Thanks in advance! --Katie

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member

Nobody not even going to mention 3770 and 4770 arent exactly server CPUs..

• Did anyone mention Hetzner yet?

• DemoroCZEDemoroCZE Member
    edited May 2020

I would honestly go with AX-41 since it is just few extra € per month for much better performance, more memory etc.. But out of these 3, i would go with 4770 (best performance) or Xeon (ECC).

• @DemoroCZE said:
    I would honestly go with AX-41 since it is just few extra € per month for much better performance, more memory etc.. But out of there 3, i would go with 4770 (best performance) or Xeon (ECC).

Or an AX41 for best of both worlds. Performance and ECC. Don't think OP is interested in the setup fees though by the sounds of it.

• KamalWKamalW Member

@DrFallen said:
    Or an AX41 for best of both worlds. Performance and ECC.

Two old ones will outperform an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 in several ways.

• @KamalW said:

@DrFallen said:

How so?

• KamalWKamalW Member

@DrFallen said:

@KamalW said:

@DrFallen said:

How so?

Horizontally scaled distributed system with support for failover and rolling system upgrades. To get some of such qualities with Ryzen 5 3600, one will still need at least two of them.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited May 2020

What the ... are you on about?

You want stability, you list 3770 and 4770, both consumer CPU's which neither have any server grade mobos to my knowing. Neither support ECC. Both are old-ish and knowing Intel, no upgrade path what so ever on either.

You want server grade stability, get server grade hardware.

Unless we're on Low End PC

E: And as much as you love to downplay Ryzen, that 3600 straight out kills both of your listed CPU-s in every regard + having ECC.