Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clouvider vs Netcup vs Vultr
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clouvider vs Netcup vs Vultr

kalimov622kalimov622 Member
edited May 2020 in General

I'm looking to get a new server in the EU for my project and so far I narrowed the list down to these three providers. I do have servers from other providers such as OVH, Hetzner, etc as well. Lately, I've been trying to find and read more reviews about Clouvider, Netcup and Vultr but haven't found that many or recent ones.
What I'm interested in most is the uptime (network and hardware together) and I know nothing can be guaranteed but I'm curious which of the three companies you had the highest uptime with. How often are the planned maintenances and how much they usually take? Which one of the three has the fastest support? Will probably never need it but if some node where my server is hosted or something has issues a fast answer would be preferred rather than waiting for countless hours.
Performance wise, they are pretty similar as far as I've seen. The root servers from Netcup do offer a lot of resources for a cheaper price but that's not as important. I'm hosting a TCP app so I won't be able to make some HA setup with multiple servers, only one server will be used.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

Comments

• seriesnseriesn Member

@Clouvider is prem if you are looking for quality connectivity.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@deank said:
    @Cider

Apple

• zenkizenki Member

I have used Vultr for years, great provider but unfortunately their bandwidth is low and you cannot buy more unless you buy a higher plan

Thanked by 2kalimov622 niceboy
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

Going for @Clouvider would be my personal suggestion.

• LeviLevi Member

Vultr is golden standard. Reliable, affordable, good support.

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited May 2020

@seriesn said:
    @Clouvider is prem if you are looking for quality connectivity.

Price is prem too. Not suitable for people people, who want 1 core 1 gb ram. As I can see they're not targeted at a lowend market segment.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Can confirm @Clouvider is a good choice.

Support has always been good. Never really needed it to be honest, had a disk fail in a server which was replaced very quickly and had contact throughout the process so we knew when the server was going down, etc.

The flexicloud options are a good choice if you only want UK, and don't need a full dedicated to look after. These are Onapp - Dom will confirm but I believe these can be live migrated to different nodes if there is an issue.

Thanked by 2Clouvider kalimov622
  • I've been using vultr for more than four years
    I've never experienced network outages or hardware damage
    Vultr wrote on their website that it provides 100% SLA
    The reality seems to be what they say

• YmpkerYmpker Member

I was always happy with Vultr. @Clouvider is prem, too :)

• cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 2020

Sometimes dc needs network maintenance.
    Sometimes hardware needs maintenance. Iif you only need vps and you are very concerned with your site uptime then HA is the way. No one can guarantee hardware, even the makers of it. You only get warranty for product replacement.

If you need colocation or dedicated servers then go with clouvider. If you only need vps then go with vultr. If you need vps and support love then go to nexusbytes. If you want a huge company without support love then go with ovh.

Clouvider is prem as hosting providers also use them. But base on OP, i suggest Vultr. I like their proactive support. If the node is having hardware issue it seems they have a lot of hardware spare to replace immediately or migrate your vps to another node quickly. Vultr also is very active in network monitoring, you can see their network stats, they will send notifications about it and continuously gives update on the progress.

Thanked by 2seriesn kalimov622
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited May 2020

Never tried clouvider (too expensive for me) but I can say that Vultr works as expected.

Nobody really answered about Netcup. I think you can trust them. Root servers are supposed to have a > 99.9% availability. They have staff on site, a nice setup and a decent network. Best value for money probably.

Thanked by 1kalimov622
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@cazrz said:
    Clouvider is prem as hosting providers also use them. But base on OP, i suggest Vultr. I like their proactive support. If the node is having hardware issue it seems they have a lot of hardware spare to replace immediately or migrate your vps to another node quickly. Vultr also is very active in network monitoring, you can see their network stats, they will send notifications about it and continuously gives update on the progress.

We have ability to live migrate VMs away from an affected node and always enough capacity to provide at minimum N+1 coverage in the nodes. Our NOC continuously monitors the network and the Hypervisors and as a bit more premium provider we like to choose a bit more premium suppliers (Telia > Cogent, and all that) to guarantee low latency and high reliability of the network.

• cazrzcazrz Member

@Clouvider said:

@cazrz said:

We have ability to live migrate VMs away from an affected node and always enough capacity to provide at minimum N+1 coverage in the nodes. Our NOC continuously monitors the network and the Hypervisors and as a bit more premium provider we like to choose a bit more premium suppliers (Telia > Cogent, and all that) to guarantee low latency and high reliability of the network.

Yep, like i said its prem. What is the price of your VM for 4gb ram? If you can post here the specs would really be grateful. As well as bandwidth limit. Iirc i was having a hard time looking for the bandwidth limit in your site. Cpu, and disk would be great too. Thanks.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

They start at 2core/2gb ram/30gb storage (£9.50/m for SAS, £10.50 for SSD).

Bandwidth is 2tb per gb of ram the VPS has if I remember correctly.

Thanked by 2Clouvider cazrz
  • I can recommend netcup/avoro, is the best choose between price and quality.

Thanked by 1kalimov622
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@Mr_Tom said:
    They start at 2core/2gb ram/30gb storage (£9.50/m for SAS, £10.50 for SSD).

Oh yeah, now I remember. Thanks!
    Was having a hard time looking for bandwidth info here
    https://www.clouvider.co.uk/cloud-vps/

IIRC I found it in the terms page or somewhere.

@cazrz said:
    Yep, like i said its prem. What is the price of your VM for 4gb ram?

Base package pricing with 4GB of RAM would be as follows:

2 CPU Cores,
    4GB RAM,
    8TB Bandwidth,
    30GB Replicated Disk,
    1 IPv4,
    20GB Backup Storage,
    OnApp HA KVM,
    Linux OS,
    £28.93 per month on SSD, £27.93 per month on SAS.

Windows Server can also be licensed for £12.50 per month.

If you can post here the specs would really be grateful.

As well as bandwidth limit. Iirc i was having a hard time looking for the bandwidth limit in your site. Cpu, and disk would be great too. Thanks.

We offer 2TB of bandwidth per 1GB of RAM assigned to an instance.

@Mr_Tom said:

That is correct, thanks Tom!

Thanked by 1cazrz
  • I have had services with all of them and they all are rock-solid performance and network wise. I do not have any active services with Nectup or Clouvider now but I suggest you stay away from Netcup because their cancellation policy is weird.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/146879/terminating-a-netcup-vps

I have multiple active servers with Vultr and I'm happy with them. No downtime so far in the last few years, I have destroyed and rebuild VPS from time to time and often restart the server so I cannot provide you uptime logs. They also have a nice panel and you can mount custom ISO without opening support tickets, I also ran macOS a few times there on their bare metal.

• pbxpbx Member

sayem314 said: I suggest you stay away from Netcup because their cancellation policy is weird.

Well, if you wanna stay with them long term and take their cancellation policy into account it's no big deal. Just cancel at the right time and everything is fine.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited May 2020

I was aware of netcup's cancellation policy before I signed up there but I'm ok with it especially since I was looking for something long-term. I do have a regular VPS with them for over a year so far and they have been good so far, just small downtimes here and there. Don't have experience with their root servers though.
    Thank you everyone for your feedback, really appreciated.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Clouvider definitely provides the best stickers. Hands down.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited May 2020

@HyperK9 said:
    I have used Vultr for years, great provider but unfortunately their bandwidth is low and you cannot buy more unless you buy a higher plan

I won't be using much bandwidth for sure, most likely under 500GB a moth.

@Mr_Tom said:
    Can confirm @Clouvider is a good choice.

Support has always been good. Never really needed it to be honest, had a disk fail in a server which was replaced very quickly and had contact throughout the process so we knew when the server was going down, etc.

The flexicloud options are a good choice if you only want UK, and don't need a full dedicated to look after. These are Onapp - Dom will confirm but I believe these can be live migrated to different nodes if there is an issue.

The cloud is what I'm looking after as it will be enough for my needs, I don't need a full dedicated server. Any experience regarding their ddos protection? I doubt there will be any problems with that but maybe it may happen once or twice.

Based on what I got so far I will have to choose between Clouvider and Vultr, I might give Netcup root servers a try for the next project I guess.

We use Corero mitigation if this helps :-)

• @Clouvider said:

The ability to migrate the live VM with no downtime or network disconnection sounds great.

@Clouvider said:
    We use Corero mitigation if this helps :-)

Thank you, I heard it's pretty good. Hopefully, I'll never need it though.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Clouvider is top notch and would be my first choice if I needed a professional server with a cross Atlantic audience.
    For Europe though I'd (out of those 3 providers) choose netcup for geographical and somewhat for political reasons (UK leaving the EU). Also their support is excellent and quick.

That said, of these 3 only Clouvider would be in my top-5 european provider list.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

kalimov622 said: Any experience regarding their ddos protection?

No, not been needed. Or if it was needed, it didn't affect anything.

If you're interested in Clouviders network but are looking at more of an EU location I may be able to offer you something in Frankfurt, but if the UK is fine then go Flexicloud.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • These three providers are all great. But hardware can fail, no one can prevent this. I’d say go with the bigger “true” cloud providers like AWS or create fallback solutions by yourself. And do remember backing up your data.

• I am using Vultr's service.
    too stable to be true, up 611 days, 15 min
    no ticket till now

edited May 2020

@marropax said:
    These three providers are all great. But hardware can fail, no one can prevent this. I’d say go with the bigger “true” cloud providers like AWS or create fallback solutions by yourself.

This is where our OnApp HA shines and sets up apart from many hosts.

And do remember backing up your data.

I agree, always have backups.

kalimov622 said: Based on what I got so far I will have to choose between Clouvider and Vultr, I might give Netcup root servers a try for the next project I guess.

Come and give us a try, we'd love to have you onboard!

Thanked by 1Mr_Tom