Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a solution to host files and serve to the users
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a solution to host files and serve to the users

adorador Member
edited May 2020 in Help

Hello! I maintain an open source project Energized Protection (https://github.com/EnergizedProtection/block) on Github. But due to increasing number of users, and heavy usage pressure on Github, they won't allow us to host the files there and serve to the users. Now I am looking for a cheap and best solution to host 1GB (apx.) text files and serve it to the users.

I need more than 3TB/unlimited bandwidth with better download speed. Now which solution or service would be best? Need your suggestions guys.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Requirements -

• More than 3TB/Unlimited BW
  • Fast download speed.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member

1Fichier 15€/year 2TB. Or GDrive?

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

If I am not wrong, you can use Github's release files which is designed for distributing purpose. Some npm libraries like node-sass used this method to distribute their binary.

• adorador Member

@Ympker said:
    1Fichier 15€/year 2TB. Or GDrive?

No. Need something that would support custom domain and direct linking to the file on the server. Like this https://example.com/folder/file.txt something like this. And, more bandwidth is a must!

• defaultdefault Veteran

A simple VPS with unlimited bandwidth, and a domain, can do this. Check my signature.

• adorador Member

@FAT32 said:
    If I am not wrong, you can use Github's release files which is designed for distributing purpose. Some npm libraries like node-sass used this method to distribute their binary.

Yes. But they won't support all the apps/softwares users are gonna use! Mainly direct link support.

• adorador Member

@default said:
    A simple VPS with unlimited bandwidth, and a domain, can do this. Check my signature.

That's nice. But a bit expensive. I can't really afford that much. Need something, that's cheap and provides quality service.

• Dare I say ....... Hetzner

• defaultdefault Veteran

@ador - Actually, what is your budget?

• cazrzcazrz Member

@default said:

Looks like he is looking for $1 or a free one or a sponsor.

• adorador Member

@default said:

around $25/30year.

• adorador Member

@cazrz said:

@default said:

Looks like he is looking for $1 or a free one or a sponsor.

This is an open source project, and I have to spend my own. And, being a student won't get you that much, that's why I am looking for something cheap. Infact, if anyone here sponsors the project that would be nice too. Our production is off and we need one soon.

edited May 2020

@ador said:
    Yes. But they won't support all the apps/softwares users are gonna use! Mainly direct link support.

Are you sure? The S3 link is direct link.

• adorador Member

@FAT32 said:

@ador said:

Are you sure? It is direct link.

Yes. I have already tried that.

@ador said:

With what? You can even download with script without any cookies set.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

GDrive has 15GB free space, 10TB daily download quota, and direct links for files upto 50MB in size. Share the files to public in GDrive, then use this format to offer a direct link: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id={id} . ID is available in the shared link.

• adorador Member

@AC_Fan said:
    GDrive has 15GB free space, 10TB daily download quota, and direct links for files upto 50MB in size. Share the files to public in GDrive, then use this format to offer a direct link: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id={id} . ID is available in the shared link.

Thanks for this idea. But we need something like this https://example.com/folder/file.txt to link to the files on the server.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2020

Recap: OP needs a shared hosting with unlimited bandwidth and 2gb storage, in $25-$30/yer. This thread is becoming long, because the person did not state at the beginning all requirement and budget.

Maybe some Shared Hosting Provider can come up with an offer. @SmallWeb and @MikePT can you help him with some Shared Hosting of 2GB storage and unlimited bandwidth, in $25-$30/year range?

Thanked by 4ador Ympker FAT32 MikePT
  • adorador Member

@FAT32 said:

@ador said:

With what? You can even download with script without any cookies set.

@FAT32 said:
    I saw you are testing. Just use "https://github.com/EnergizedProtection/energized.github.io/releases/download/Test/hosts.txt" and it will work.

It gives error on a software for Windows (Hostsman), which users basically use on windows for this project. Previously we used to serve files directly from the repo using a custom domain connected to Github repo. That used to work fine on every platform.

• cazrzcazrz Member

What is your preffered dc locarion?

• defaultdefault Veteran

@cazrz said:

He is from India. So most likely he would prefer India. We are all guessing the information along the way.

@ador said:
    It gives error on a software for Windows (Hostsman), which users basically use on windows for this project. Previously we used to serve files directly from the repo using a custom domain connected to Github repo. That used to work fine on every platform.

You are right. I just tested and Github doesn't allow sending HEAD request to that endpoint, whereas Hostsman send a HEAD request before the GET request.

Thanked by 1ador
  • adorador Member

@cazrz said:

I am from Bangladesh. But any server that's fast would be good enough for us, because we have users from around the world.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@ador - May I ask why you use "us" and "we", as in plural, when you are the only contributor and maintainer of that Github project? And yet, you need unlmited bandwidth because of "heavy usage pressure".

• cazrzcazrz Member

@ador said:

@cazrz said:

I am from Bangladesh. But any server that's fast would be good enough for us, because we have users from around the world.

Have you tried backblaze with cloudflare? But yeah i think cf wont really give you that 3tb bandwidth specially in asia.

• adorador Member

@default said:
    @ador - May I ask why you use "us" and "we", as in plural, when you are the only contributor and maintainer of that Github project? And yet, you need unlmited bandwidth because of "heavy usage pressure".

I am the lead maintainer, but we are a team of 3 members to manage repos, blocklists, modules and servers.

• adorador Member

@cazrz said:

@ador said:

@cazrz said:

Have you tried backblaze with cloudflare? But yeah i think cf wont really give you that 3tb bandwidth specially in asia.

No I haven't tried that yet. Is that budget friendly service? I am on a tight budget, that's why looking for cheap ones with quality service.

• cazrzcazrz Member

3TB bandwidth per month is not acceptable in many providers that offer "unlimited bandwidth". Specially if the plan is below $5/mo. That is why even the giants like AWS, Azure and Google wont give you that unless you have millions of real traffic that could bring them traffic in return. In your site you have clients and sponsor/s. What are those?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2020

Well, I have seen similar use case, the solution was to use free CDN with a basic VPS.

• adorador Member

@cazrz said:
    3TB bandwidth per month is not acceptable in many providers that offer "unlimited bandwidth". Specially if the plan is below $5/mo. That is why even the giants like AWS, Azure and Google wont give you that unless you have millions of real traffic that could bring them traffic in return. In your site you have clients and sponsor/s. What are those?

Clients are apps, softwares and services to use with our services. And, sponsors are the ones who support us. Although, we have only one sponsor who are letting us host the website for free! I have seen few LEB special offers from RackNerd VPS, would those be better?

Thanked by 1dustinc