Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How flexible are OVH failover IPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How flexible are OVH failover IPs

Hey,

I'm thinking about getting an OVH Rise server, but I have a question about moving failover IPs between services.

• Can I move a failover IP between an OVH dedicated server and OVH VPS?
  • Can I move a failover IP between OVH dedicated servers in different countries?
  • Can I move between SoYouStart and OVH?

I checked their KB but could only find stuff about the public cloud :/

Cheers!

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@ManofServer said:

• Can I move a failover IP between an OVH dedicated server and OVH VPS?
    • Can I move a failover IP between OVH dedicated servers in different countries?
    • Can I move between SoYouStart and OVH?

Yes.
    No.
    Only from SYS to OVH with a $3 fee per IP moved.

• CybrCybr Member
    edited May 2020

I think a failover IP can be moved to a VPS as I plan on doing that at some point but I've only had dedicated servers so far.

A failover IP can be moved to a server in a different countries but only in the same region, an EU failover IP can only be moved to other EU countries.

Apparently you can move an IP from SoYouStart to OVH but can never move it back again.

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • Thanks @MikeA and @Cybr!

Good thing I asked the question, now I need to carefully think about which OVH region to commit to and may potentially start with SyS and then move to OVH as I won't be able to do that later.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Cybr said:
    A failover IP can be moved to a server in a different countries but only in the same region, an EU failover IP can only be moved to other EU countries.

I checked before I replied and my UK servers weren't in a list of transferable options for a FR IP. Maybe it's possible to do it between the other European countries.

• CybrCybr Member

@MikeA said:

@Cybr said:

I checked before I replied and my UK servers weren't in a list of transferable options for a FR IP. Maybe it's possible to do it between the other European countries.

That's interesting since I don't have any UK servers but I can order a new UK IP for a France server.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Failover IP can be moved between VPS / Cloud / Dedicated.

• MikeA said: Only from SYS to OVH with a $3 fee per IP moved

Weird. I got my 16 IP's moved from SYS -> OVH for free.

• danielhmdanielhm Member
    edited May 2020

@Cybr said:

That's interesting since I don't have any UK servers but I can order a new UK IP for a France server.

Pretty sure it gives you an error when you actually try to order with that config. I've never managed to get EU IPs to bind to a UK instance nor a UK IP to an EU instance (even once the IPs are on your account - they won't bind). I literally have an extra instance due to not knowing this in advance - I pretend I'm doing it for redundancy :smile:

Thanked by 1Cybr
  • @MikeA said:

@Cybr said:

Yeah it is - I have a mixed bag of all the EU countries (excl UK) against a GRA5 instance.

Thanked by 1Cybr
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

New data centers were purchased, so they do not have the choice of FO IP to move. Infrastructure was not made for this.

For FR servers FO IP: countries EU
    For DE servers FO IP: countries EU
    For PL servers FO IP: PL only
    For UK servers FO IP: UK only

But countries for IP, this is just the line "country" in whois and no more.

Thanked by 2ManofServer Cybr
  • CybrCybr Member

Looks like you can import a failover IP to the Public Cloud but there doesn't seem to be a way to move it back to your other servers again. I wanted to use the Public Cloud initially in some new regions but I can't do that if it means my failover IPs are locked into the Public Cloud.