Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soyoustart /OVH denying refund on cancelled server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Soyoustart /OVH denying refund on cancelled server

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited May 2020 in Providers

So, I cancelled a server with them recently, it was prepaid for few months in advance. I decided cancel it as few things were not working out there. From date of cancellation, there is still around 2 month time remaining but they denied refund saying "once renewal is done" they can't refund. By renewal here, they mean paying for server.

Is it they don't refund in such situation ?
PS : There were no special promotion on this server or long term renewal benefits.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

They don't do refunds.

And they don't do support.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Well, support is there as I have been their customer from few years, its just that you rarely need them for anything other than hardware issue.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@Saahib said:
    So, I cancelled a server with them recently, it was prepaid for few months in advance. I decided cancel it as few things were not working out there. From date of cancellation, there is still around 2 month time remaining but they denied refund saying "once renewal is done" they can't refund. By renewal here, they mean paying for server.

Is it they don't refund in such situation ?
    PS : There were no special promotion on this server or long term renewal benefits.

It is pretty clear on their tos. No refund.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2020

They aren't denying your refund. They don't know the concept of refund.

Once paid, that's it. It's done.

And I am not trolling around. They seriously don't do refund of any kind for anything.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Saahib said:
    as few things were not working out there.

Mind sharing what type of things not working. Just asking out of curiosity.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited May 2020

@deank said:
    They aren't denying your refund. They don't know the concept of refund.

Once paid, that's it. It's done.

And I am not trolling around. They seriously don't do refund of any kind for anything.

You can get a refund for a server if you haven't installed OS yet. Once OS is installed, there is no way to get a refund.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@Saahib said:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3091923

They are gay friend of cpanel. @OVH_APAC

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

I did not ask for a refund for services already paid for never in my life.

edited May 2020

@Vova1234 said:

Well sometimes you have to, lets get a real life example, you got a project, all things good, you get a server for it for 6 month prepay and hoping to extend more.. then for some unforeseen reason, project goes kaput.. now you have no use of server. It happens man. Though not in my case but could happen to anyone.

@Saahib said:

@Vova1234 said:

Well sometimes you have to, lets get a real life example, you got a project, all things good, you get a server for it for 6 month prepay and hoping to extend more.. then for some unforeseen reason, project goes kaput.. now you have no use of server. It happens man. Though not in my case but could happen to anyone.

I extend many servers so that there is availability for the assortment, such as the i7-4790k in SYS with Winter Sale. I probably throw 1,000 euros a month into the air for this.

Well, that's another take .. :wink:

• handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

You can transfer the remaining credits to someone else or some other server.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@handyhost said:
    You can transfer the remaining credits to someone else or some other server.

This is what most people do

• @Saahib said:

@Vova1234 said:

Generally, you prepay in advance and get a price discount in return. That is the trade-off benefit for both parties, one gets a discount and the other gets guaranteed business for that period. They offer monthly services specifically for use cases where 6 months isn't a guarantee. That's really on you.

• Smith42Smith42 Member

Which country did you have your account registered in? CA (World), UK, IE, FR or elsewhere?

edited May 2020

Well, I have mentioned in OP that there were no discounts associated with prepay, I had prepaid just for sake convenience of not paying every month. I know my money is gone for the remaining period. I think its useless to "Drag this anymore" since its clear no in their TOS.

@Smith42 said:
    Which country did you have your account registered in? CA (World), UK, IE, FR or elsewhere?

.ie and server is already cancelled.

TimboJones said: Generally, you prepay in advance and get a price discount in return. That is the trade-off benefit for both parties, one gets a discount and the other gets guaranteed business for that period. They offer monthly services specifically for use cases where 6 months isn't a guarantee. That's really on you.

I extend my personal servers for years to come. In OVH I have several thousand servers and I never asked for money back, even if I accidentally extended an unnecessary server. Just such a habit.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Saahib said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@Saahib said:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3091923

They are gay friend of cpanel. @OVH_APAC

You could easily apply for DA Internal Pricing, what's the big deal ?

• Smith42Smith42 Member
    edited May 2020

@Saahib said:

@Smith42 said:

.ie and server is already cancelled.

You can try and ask for your ticket to be escalated to Craig. He's the Manager for the UK/IE branch. You can also tweet your ticket at @OVH_Support_EN. Craig is really helpful and understanding but the hardest part will be to get to him because the first line support will do everything to not forward your case. Also if you got any discount, like setup fee waiver or any other discount, you can ask them to deduct that. Lastly, you can also ask for compensation to your SYS/OVH account as credit instead of to your CC/Paypal.

In the future, sign up with the World branch, their support is overall a lot more flexible, and their managers are easier to reach with one escalation as well.

OVH (or any other host for that matter) do not offer refunds on long-term prepayments month/s down the road. Refunds like yours are highly non-standard and done on special case only. They are human at the end of the day so you can try to whine and beg, and they might pity you and do the refund, but first line support won't make a big decision like this because its not up to them. You need to get in touch with a Manager.

PS. OVH IE/UK have a 14 day refund policy and CA/World has a 7 working days refund policy.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

In some cases services are non refundable. The OVH do refunds if they do admin fault with their process, example: if you order a server and was stated 120s delivery time but it’s not available for 10 days so definitely their fault.

P.S. To OP: next time read the company terms and conditions.