Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people still use apache instead of fast and lightweight nginx?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do people still use apache instead of fast and lightweight nginx?

RedSoxRedSox Member

Just currious, nothing more

Comments

• For companies with sites already running Apache the attitude is along the lines of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2020

Pretty much the same reason as why we insist on living on Earth when there are better planets to be.

It ain't broke yet, so no need to move.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

.htaccess
    Habit
    Sufficient speed/load time
    Compatability?! At least judging by feel more Websites/projects work out of the box.
    7$
    Idk

Thanked by 3RedSox kp93 coreflux
  • They (we) are too busy recovering from learning the pronunciation.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member

Some blend of laziness/familiarity/"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Not every server needs to be tweaked/optimized to allow the maximum number of shared hosting clients.

It's kind of like saying, "Why do people still walk instead of use cars" :smiley:

Thanked by 2Ympker feezioxiii

Mark my words.

Humans will eventually have heated debates on why they insisted living on Earth at one point of human history.

• pkrpkr Member

For me, .htaccess.
    I tried to convert .htaccess, but never got 100% success.

Thanked by 2RedSox benj0x
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited May 2020

deank said: Pretty much the same reason as why we insist on living on Earth when there are better planets to be.

Because we lack the technology to go somewhere else/use another web server? I don't think so.

CyberneticTitan said: For companies with sites already running Apache the attitude is along the lines of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

This. Apache works. I find nginx to be much easier to admin (and it takes less resources/is more performant as well), but there are lots of admins who cut their teeth on apache.

deank said: Humans will eventually have heated debates on why they insisted living on Earth at one point of human history.

But that point is not now. There is no feasible alternative to living elsewhere. Certainly not "better planets". The only feasible thing in our solar system is Mars, and I don't think living in a biodome on Mars is a "better planet". And regardless, we lack the experience at best and the technology in all probability to make this reasonable, certainly at scale.

Extra-solar travel is not possible. Well, perhaps if you believe in ark ships or intergenerational travel, perhaps it is, but that's really not feasible either. Heck, we have a hard enough time keeping people in LEO for a year.

Extra-solar travel is likely never possible. Ooops...sorry to disappoint sf fans. Always cracks me up when people thump their chest about science and yet also believe that FTL somehow must be achievable.

Thanked by 3dontknow jsg yongsiklee

Thus, the end is nigh.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee

deank said: Thus, the end is nigh.

deank said: Humans will eventually have heated debates

Incompatible statements!

edited May 2020

The humans I mentioned may not be the humans we think.

Could be Jovians or Martians even.

• first of all, because i use OVH cPanel auto installer and when its installed it used apache.
    second, if it works fine i thing there's no reason to change it, or maybe I'm too lazy to change it.

• momkinmomkin Member

1 - Providers use control panel to manage the servers and as you know there isn't a lot of control panels that's supports Nginx as stand alone webserver !
    2 - Apache is easy to be configured especially when it comes to .htaccess rules.
    3 - Nginx requires a lot of time and effort in server with a lot of websites so there is no body have the time to for that alone !

• BertieBertie Member

Webserver configs for less-common apps (as in not MediaWiki/WordPress) are oftentimes in Apache2. When your use case allows you to be lazy about it, you might choose Apache2 just for the convenience of it.

deank said: Could be Jovians or Martians even.

Pretty sure there won't be any homo jupiteris any time. Ever. There's no actual firm surface to Jupiter, so with 2.5 gravity you'll just sink into the planet. You'd be dead from the super-hurricane-force winds long before, though.

Martians...maybe but...there's really no compelling reason other than "hey, we could try that". Still not seeing a "better planet" in this...anything other than Earth is going to be living in human habitrails and I think any human living in such a place is likely to say "this sucks...why did we ever leave Earth?"

Thanked by 1TimboJones
    edited May 2020

I believe Jupiter has a pretty suitable moon, all ocean one. Europa or something it's called.

So, Jovian is possible. Actually, mankind will likely need a mid-point space station of some sort in middle of SOL. A space station among Jovian moons is a possibility with miners mining for various materials from moons or the ring itself.

Any planet is better than Earth, if you are a sci-fi fan.

Sadly, I doubt many humans are up for it, given how we seem to suffer from a basic social lockdown due to Chinavirus. If they can't handle the simple lockdown, no way will we be able to live in space.
    Isolation will be bread and butter in space after all.

• handyhosthandyhost Member, Host Rep

Well, it's working for years without additional configurations and never disappointed me.

Thanked by 2webcraft yongsiklee
  • I administer some low traffic websites. Apache works well enough for me especially with event mpm. It is what I know and nginx configuration notation never made any sense to me so I didn't switch. I have been looking at Caddy web server though as I am liking ease of configuration for common scenatios like out of the box https.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Most of the devs I work with know how to tweak htaccess rules, but have no clue where to even find the nginx conf. If it's not public-facing I don't care, and a lot of the public-facing stuff is low traffic. The important high traffic stuff is nginx (or litespeed in some cases).

You can boil it down to laziness and "it works good enough".

Thanked by 2Ympker RedSox
  • RedSoxRedSox Member

@codedivine said:
    I administer some low traffic websites. Apache works well enough for me especially with event mpm. It is what I know and nginx configuration notation never made any sense to me so I didn't switch. I have been looking at Caddy web server though as I am liking ease of configuration for common scenatios like out of the box https.

@Harambe said:
    Most of the devs I work with know how to tweak htaccess rules, but have no clue where to even find the nginx conf. If it's not public-facing I don't care, and a lot of the public-facing stuff is low traffic. The important high traffic stuff is nginx (or litespeed in some cases).

You can boil it down to laziness and "it works good enough".

How should we consider lowendtalk? Is it a low traffic website or high?

• Anyone considered lighttpd? Appears to perform in some cases slightly better than nginx and configuring is just as easy/stressful as nginx.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

Because performance is not always an issue. In many cases, Apache just works, I know how to use it and it gets the job done.
    But then again, I could say exactly the same about nginx, and that's why I use them both.

Use the right tool for the situation, simple as that.

• @webcraft I think lighttpd is abandoned. Openlitespeed is better anyway, IMHO.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited May 2020

The modules.

Apache can either be lean and mean with all the features pulled out, or it can continue to support like 95% of the usecases OOTB. If it were up to me I'd ship hardly any, turn on only what's needed

• LunaLuna Member

I use caddy.It more simple than Nginx.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Can be replaced with lightspeed / openlightspeed with support for htaccess.

• aj_potcaj_potc Member

@SmallWeb said:
    They (we) are too busy recovering from learning the pronunciation.

Not sure I can agree with you there. At least for an American, Apache is easy to pronounce, as it's a Native American tribe that every schoolchild learns about very early.

Now Nginx, on the other hand... I think I've heard that pronounced at least three different ways!

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited May 2020

aj_potc said: Now Nginx, on the other hand... I think I've heard that pronounced at least three different ways!

Sorry, I was referring to this one :) I used to say N Jynx/Jinx

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@SmallWeb said:

aj_potc said: Now Nginx, on the other hand... I think I've heard that pronounced at least three different ways!

Sorry, I was referring to this one :) I used to say N Jynx/Jinx

Engine-X is the correct pronunciation.