Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Ryzen 3900x or Xeon E-2288G ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD Ryzen 3900x or Xeon E-2288G ?

ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

I am thinking to setup a new server for shared hosting. But confuse to choose CPU.

Which one should I choose for shared hosting?

AMD Ryzen 3900x
64 GB DDR4 RAM
2x 1.2 TB NVMe

-

Xeon E-2288G
64 GB DDR4 RAM
2x 1.2 TB NVMe

AMD config price is lower than Intel config price.

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

Good luck finding the ryzen server boards right now. they getting hard to find.
    Supermicro needs to hurry up and start making the AM4 socket

• momkinmomkin Member

Go for AMD its best for performance !

• BinaryLaneBinaryLane Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

We've got systems with both these processors. All other things being equal, the 3900X significantly outperforms the E-2288G in a server environment.

EDIT: Here is a comparison of the two in Geekbench https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/2086069?baseline=2086071

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

E-2288G is great, but I'd go with the Ryzen in any case for the extra cores.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@ExonHost If it is anything hosting related, go with E-2288G. Unless your server is overloaded, at that you will need more cores, E-2288G will provide better PHP performance.

• momkinmomkin Member

@MechanicWeb said:
    @ExonHost If it is anything hosting related, go with E-2288G. Unless your server is overloaded, at that you will need more cores, E-2288G will provide better PHP performance.

Really why is that ?

momkin said: Really why is that ?

PHP is a single threaded process. The higher the CPU's clock speed, the faster the process will run

Thanked by 2vimalware Synatiq
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@MechanicWeb said:

momkin said: Really why is that ?

PHP is a single threaded process. The higher the CPU's clock speed, the faster the process will run

ehh.

• KaribuKaribu Member

It's probably difficult to benchmark per se.
    AMD is having higher base clock speed (3800 vs 3700) but Intel is having higher turbo mode. (5000 vs 4600). So you need to see if the turbo mode will really be activated in your load. Might not be the case.

Also AMD is having higher L1, L2 and L3 cache...
    And is fabricated in 7mn vs 14mn ensuring lower power consumption
    Not counting the greater overall performance thanks to more cores.

And by the way the PHP7.4 brings further performance tweak, sweet!

I would also recommend the AMD

• marvelmarvel Member

Go for EPYC. These are both desktop CPUs.

Thanked by 1ViridWeb
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Nothing wrong with using desktop cpus as servers. Hetzner has made millions from doing it.

Lots of providers are using Ryzens now for hosting, more server boards will come out, there are two currently with IPMI. You just can't buy them at the moment.

• @marvel said:

An Xeon is a desktop CPU? I don’t think so...

• hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@WSCallum said:

@marvel said:

An Xeon is a desktop CPU? I don’t think so...

I believe @marvel was referring to opting for EPYC rather than Ryzen on the AMD side of things. I concur, if you're looking for a high capacity, high performance server then go for EPYC but if you're not likely to take advantage of using more than 128GB RAM, duel CPU and the extra PCI lanes etc, then you'd be OK using a Ryzen.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Seems like the Ryzen is outperforming the Xeon by Every side. Yes, I see people commenting that Xeon performs better for Hosting Environment, I luckily always believed that unless I tested both types of hardware. I found no significant change for being Xeon. Still there remains a question as I'm not a scientist, nor a researcher. I have just seen people telling about this logic but when I asked them, they also couldn't provide any reference or real-life test so that I can get their logic satisfied.

If I were you, I would have gone with the Ryzen. There's no harm in providing better performance at less price & not believing the bullshit logics floating around.

Saleh Vai, kemon achen ? :wink:

• someshzsomeshz Member, Host Rep

Ryzen is doing great as per today's market... but I prefer Xenon for shared servers.

We use E5 v2 for our shared hosting. But might make the switch to Ryzen soon. Higher clock counts and it smashes Intel out of the water mostly too.

Lots of companies are using them for VM nodes to great success. I have a few Ryzen VMs from two different companies and they have been fantastic.

E-2288G has better single threaded performance than both Ryzen 3950X and Ryzen 3900X:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E-2288G-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/3546vs3598vs3493

The same can be seen in UnixBench or any other benchmark tests.

@MechanicWeb said:
    E-2288G has better single threaded performance than both Ryzen 3950X and Ryzen 3900X:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-E-2288G-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/3546vs3598vs3493

But, Ryzen has 4 More cores :wink:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@MechanicWeb said:

Careful there!

• You can't rely on turbospeed in production on a loaded server
    • You can forget the Xeon consuming less power, especially when turbo is active
    • You can forget intels TDP numbers. In reality they all consume about 105W, the Xeon probably even more when loaded.
    • Get "clock speed ~ performance" out of your heads! Caches are much more important.
    • The passmark performance numbers must be understood and taken with a grain of salt because they are more desktop than server centric; in particular floating point numbers are much less relevant on most servers. Also note that the whole benchmark still is rather intel based and e.g. a CPU without AVX512 will look sluggish but in the real world, especially in the hosting world, it plays an insignificant role.
    • You get much better security/much less vulnerability with AMD Zen, which is very important in shared environments (read: everything except dedis).
    Thanked by 2seriesn Jord
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Apni kemon achen?

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

The E-2288G has a less than 10% advantage in single core performance (which is likely to be 1-3% in real life due to power limits etc.), while the Ryzen has almost double the score in multi core performance. There are very, very few situations in which the Intel CPU will be the better choice.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

@MechanicWeb said:

Mostly WordPress Website. So, PHP performance important to us. Also we'll use LiteSpeed Web Server. How much vary the performance?

edited May 2020

@MechanicWeb said:

Wut? Apart from my VM which is on a Ryzen 3900x VPS node. It still scored pretty well.

Ryzen Multicore blows anything out of the water

Geekbench isn't saying the same thing.

E-2288G v4: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15371719
    E-2288G v5: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2040233

3900X:

3900X v4: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15317075
    3900X v5: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/964068

This is my VM with all the cores enabled:

3900X v4: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15471025
    3900X v5: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2091125

• seriesnseriesn Member

ExonHost said: Mostly WordPress Website. So, PHP performance important to us. Also we'll use LiteSpeed Web Server. How much vary the performance?

Taking a shot in the dark here, no one would be able to tell the difference from an outside world. Get more ram sir and cache it.

Thanked by 1ExonHost

@ExonHost said:

@MechanicWeb said:

Mostly WordPress Website. So, PHP performance important to us. Also we'll use LiteSpeed Web Server. How much vary the performance?

Litespeed will do a lot to help you with making things a lot faster too. I would say go with the Ryzen, it's less power-hungry and still gives you the best performance.

• 0x650x65 Member

Jord said: more server boards will come out, there are two currently with IPMI

which ones?

edited May 2020

@seriesn said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Apni kemon achen?

Alhamdulillah Bhai. Bah, apnio Bangladeshi, Jantam na ! :wink: Saleh vai reply dilo na :neutral: Koshto pailam :disappointed:

@0x65 said:

Jord said: more server boards will come out, there are two currently with IPMI

which ones?

For Ryzen there are two from ASRock their older one and the new one they've just launched.

For Threadripper is there one from Tyan.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

@seriesn said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

Apni kemon achen?

Alhamdulillah Bhai. Bah, apnio Bangladeshi, Jantam na ! :wink: Saleh vai reply dilo na :neutral: Koshto pailam :disappointed:

Haha! Yeah I am brother. Was born in Dhaka :)

Thanked by 1Mahfuz_SS_EHL