Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Russian VPS providers intentionally throttle I/O?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do Russian VPS providers intentionally throttle I/O?

Just purchased a boodet.online VPS - it was cheap, the cheapest offering unmetered B/W on PoiskVPS, and its network is certainly alright, but the I/O is capped to 10 MB/s.

I'm reading more into Russian VPS providers on LET, and I occasionally see mention of Russian VPS providers intentionally limiting I/O.

Is this a common occurrence? Is there a clear way to decipher whether a Russian VPS provider is throttling disk I/O? Is there a common process among Russian VPS providers to remove the throttling limitation?

Comments

• pikepike Veteran

@Bertie said:
    Is there a clear way to decipher whether a Russian VPS provider is throttling disk I/O?

You could just ask them before you order something.

• abiaolaogeabiaolaoge Member
    edited May 2020

I think you can try the service of ruvds.com, if you choose a virtual server with a price of 130 rubles, pay annually and use the "cheap30" coupon code, you only need to pay 65 rubles per month, unlimited network traffic, no disk IO bandwidth limitation, the CPU performance of the virtual server is also very good.
    A large number of Chinese customers are using the services provided by ruvds.com.In addition, the virtual server provided by G-Core Labs (gcorelabs.com) is also very good.
    In the eyes of Chinese customers, ruvds and gcorelabs are undoubtedly the best two Russian providers.

(Translate by Google)

Thanked by 1Bertie
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

You'll never know until you ask but they probably do it to keep their overloaded af nodes useable

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

Why only Russian? In all the world VPS providers limit I/O. Otherwise they would be under risk that at some moment all node became unstable. Question is are above limit is suitable for you or not. Also limitation in most case is not to be problem but too much overselling is.

• BertieBertie Member

rustelekom said: Why only Russian? In all the world VPS providers limit I/O.

There's a pretty substantial difference between resource abuse monitoring and load control and an intentional hard cap on I/O.

rustelekom said: Also limitation in most case is not to be problem but too much overselling is.

It seems some of the cheaper Russian hosts intentionally swap out servers to massively oversell. This seems to be a common practice among the lower tier. Fine - this is on me, you get what you pay for, but there wasn't any indication this occurs because I've never seen a non-Russian host aggressively swap out VPS servers.

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@rustelekom said:
    Why only Russian? In all the world VPS providers limit I/O. Otherwise they would be under risk that at some moment all node became unstable. Question is are above limit is suitable for you or not. Also limitation in most case is not to be problem but too much overselling is.

We do not limit IOPS with NVMe VPS.

In real world any resource which is announced as unlimited is not true. Control over fair usage of any resources might be automatic or manual but it anyway exist and to be required to get good level of stability and reliability of service and with good prices. Of course, if you pay full cost of service, then you should get full resource without limitation but i guess price would be high enough.

• I was using ruvds for 3 months, and after that it's almost unusable. Update took 1 hour, download speed 23kbps, sometimes can't login, while I left no running webserver or database or anything other than normal installation to test.

Rebooted the vm from console did no improvements. Reinstall it, and had the same problem.

So, I just cancel it, and forget the remaining deposit.

For russian location, maybe I will only use Hukot or another providers on another place.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I don't like the generalisation.

@Clouvider said:
    I don't like the generalisation.

Yes, this is most popular mistake - of course, every situation should investigate individually.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2020

In Russia I highly recommend Veesp (aff). They do not limit the I/O so much, and with coupons, like NH39FXJ2XJ42 you can get 5% off recurring on VPS.

• BertieBertie Member

ErawanArifNugroho said: I was using ruvds for 3 months, and after that it's almost unusable.

Was it the $0.60 USD loss leader offer?

• BertieBertie Member

rustelekom said: In real world any resource which is announced as unlimited is not true. Control over fair usage of any resources might be automatic or manual but it anyway exist and to be required to get good level of stability and reliability of service and with good prices. Of course, if you pay full cost of service, then you should get full resource without limitation but i guess price would be high enough.

Again, this seems to be wilful misinterpretation of what I'm trying to ask here. I am not asking whether or not I can max out a shared CPU 100% 24/7, or write 24/7 at 400MB/s random. I am not arguing that fair usage is an unreasonable ask.

I am asking if hard limits on resource usage are the norm within that particular sector, and how to spot this norm before purchase, given that support oftentimes isn't forthcoming about this.

• Bertie said: Was it the $0.60 USD loss leader offer?

Don't buy 30 rubles / monthly offer, it is only provided for educational purposes, the disk IO bandwidth limit is currently 2.4MB / s (incredible), no ticket support is provided and no commitment to service stability, so it can only be used to build network services like private VPNs.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    I was using ruvds for 3 months, and after that it's almost unusable. Update took 1 hour, download speed 23kbps, sometimes can't login, while I left no running webserver or database or anything other than normal installation to test.

Rebooted the vm from console did no improvements. Reinstall it, and had the same problem.

So, I just cancel it, and forget the remaining deposit.

For russian location, maybe I will only use Hukot or another providers on another place.

Why not send a support ticket? As far as I know ruvds provides 7x24 support (except the 30 rubles / month offer).

• Well, I still stay with ruvds for the 4th months to give them chances, and I feel still no need to make a ticket. While my other providers keep monitoring their nodes, and sending me email if there's a problem.

But still nothing changed, so I just feel it's better to move to another provider rather than insisting to stay.

That's just my experience, maybe it's difference from another user experiences.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I guess it's a mix of location specifics and culture. El. power is dirt cheap, connectivity on the other hand still is more expensive. Maybe disks are very expensive there for some reason.

Well noted, I like the Russians but I too found some of their hosters to use a lot of swapping and quite low IO limits. justhost.ru is a good example. SSHing to my VPS there takes an eternity; once it's "active" again however it offers reasonable speed for the low price.

There are probably other good providers I don't know yet but for now I'd recommend Veesp as a pleasant exceptiion, if you need a reasonably priced VPS (or dedi) there.

@default said:
    In Russia I highly recommend Veesp .... They do not limit the I/O so much ...

Yes, a friend of mine is with them since years and he's really happy with them. For the sake of fairness it should be mentioned though that Veesp doesn't offer the lowest of low prices.

Thanked by 1Bertie

@Bertie said:

rustelekom said: In real world any resource which is announced as unlimited is not true. Control over fair usage of any resources might be automatic or manual but it anyway exist and to be required to get good level of stability and reliability of service and with good prices. Of course, if you pay full cost of service, then you should get full resource without limitation but i guess price would be high enough.

Again, this seems to be wilful misinterpretation of what I'm trying to ask here. I am not asking whether or not I can max out a shared CPU 100% 24/7, or write 24/7 at 400MB/s random. I am not arguing that fair usage is an unreasonable ask.

I am asking if hard limits on resource usage are the norm within that particular sector, and how to spot this norm before purchase, given that support oftentimes isn't forthcoming about this.

Usually you could see all the limit's in tariff description or at least you may ask support before make order. BTW. Does this reasonable I/O values for your particular case?

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 32.3 us / 76.9 us / 5.42 ms / 55.0 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
    generated 22.9 k requests in 5.00 s, 5.59 GiB, 4.58 k iops, 1.12 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
    1st run: 443.46 MiB/s
    2nd run: 386.24 MiB/s
    3rd run: 388.15 MiB/s
    average: 405.95 MiB/s

• BertieBertie Member

rustelekom said: Usually you could see all the limit's in tariff description or at least you may ask support before make order. BTW. Does this reasonable I/O values for your particular case?

See, a helpful response could've been to "look at the tariff". Seems like a very circular answer, if not a pointed one.

As stated earlier, support is not forthcoming about this usually.

rustelekom said: Does this reasonable I/O values for your particular case?

Why is this relevant? In my first post, I stated that 10 MB/s IO Sequential write is unreasonable. I am not sure what you're getting at with this post. I really do not understand what you're trying to accomplish if I'm being honest with you.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Bertie said:

rustelekom said: Does this reasonable I/O values for your particular case?

Why is this relevant? In my first post, I stated that 10 MB/s IO Sequential write is unreasonable. I am not sure what you're getting at with this post. I really do not understand what you're trying to accomplish if I'm being honest with you.

I guess his point was that there are different kinds of provider and offers in Russia (like everywhere).
    On a side not he also answered your OP question by demonstrating that there are Russian providers who do not grossly limit IO.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho

@Bertie said:

Why is this relevant? In my first post, I stated that 10 MB/s IO Sequential write is >unreasonable. I am not sure what you're getting at with this post. I really do not >understand what you're trying to accomplish if I'm being honest with you.

I just took those values from our cheapest plan... So at least not all Russian's throttle I/O speed.