Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AX51-NVME vs PX62-NVME - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AX51-NVME vs PX62-NVME

2»

Comments

• boerndboernd Member

Who cares about a shorter CPU lifespan in a rented server

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@boernd said:
    Who cares about a shorter CPU lifespan in a rented server

I care about the boost clock, not necessarily the shorter lifespan. Because the CPU gets so hot it can barely boost up to its advertised boost speeds losing out on 10-15% performance.

Thanked by 1WSCallum
  • Summer is here.

• epeusepeus Member
    edited May 2020

@CConner said:
    @MikeA @epeus

I sent them an email asking why thing was getting so hot, this was their response:

To which I replied:

To which they replied:

Specifically "Until the server didn't begin to throttle under the base clock, there is no reason to investigate this.". Which is quite frankly ridiculous.

The support operator refused to explain why Hetzner doesn't support CPUs boosting up to their advertised boost speed. There is nothing on the Hetzner website indicating anything about max cooling capacity or that CPUs are only supposed to run at their base clock and the boost clock is being treated as an "extra". Maybe @Hetzner_OL can fill me in on this.

i see, you stressed test it. Mine could get to 85c when in stress tests too. About the boost, I think it's a problem of AMD 3000 series, it looks like mine is not as worst as your, I ordered an AX41-NVME too and I'm waiting for it, will give it a check . Set the cpu governor to performance might help a little bit(in windows, default is balanced I think)

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2020

@epeus said:
    i see, you stressed test it. Mine could get to 85c when in stress tests too. About the boost, I think it's a problem of AMD 3000 series, it looks like mine is not as worst as your, I ordered an AX41-NVME too and I'm waiting for it, will give it a check . Set the cpu governor to performance might help a little bit(in windows, default is balanced I think)

We're hosting some Squad servers now which need all the performance they can get to stay at a stable tick rate. That's why I started looking in to the frequency it was running at and what temperatures. I've got quite a few AX41's running Linux and never bothered checking it because it doesn't need to perform under such load.

As I mentioned, the i9 9900Ks we've got have the same issue with temps getting as high as 90C. It's just a failure of the in-house cooler that Hetzner is using.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi @CConner - Hmm.. I haven't looked at your ticket, and I don't have access to the technician's systems but 70C seems high for an idle server. There's a couple of factors that could affect the temperature. If you've set the CPU to performance, that might put more stress on the CPU, even when you're not running other tasks. Or perhaps there is an issue we need to take another look at.
    I would suggest responding to this same support ticket and ask if our team could take another look at it. I will contact the team and tell them to keep an eye out for your ticket. --Katie

LET readers - Please feel free to post responses from our support team, but could you try to remember to leave off our coworkers' names so we can respect their privacy? Thanks!

• epeusepeus Member
    edited May 2020

@CConner said:

@epeus said:

We're hosting some Squad servers now which need all the performance they can get to stay at a stable tick rate. That's why I started looking in to the frequency it was running at and what temperatures. I've got quite a few AX41's running Linux and never bothered checking it because it doesn't need to perform under such load.

As I mentioned, the i9 9900Ks we've got have the same issue with temps getting as high as 90C. It's just a failure of the in-house cooler that Hetzner is using.

Got mine AX41-NVME earlier today. I've been doing stress tests on it for a few hours.( I'm using ubuntu 18.04 with performance cpu governor)
    About the temperature:
    Idle: ~40C
    Stress Test: 80-86C
    The CPU can boost to 4.1GHz ~ 4.2GHz , Threads are stable at 4GHz when I stress tests on all 12 threads

So I think there might be something wrong with your server! Have your issues been solved?