Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed by Directadmin's Support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disappointed by Directadmin's Support

HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

I have to brought this up on this forum as I saw a representative from DA on LET. I opened a ticket on 24.4.2020 with some issues on my fresh DA setup. The support was declined reason being that I was using a trial version. Ok fine the other thing Mark did beside closing my ticket was that he removed my internal licensing tag account being idle for last 8 months. Again fine. I then replied on the ticket on 30.4.2020 to reactivate my internal license tag as I want to purchase the same. But the ticket was closed without response. I thought the ticket should have been opened separately so I did that on 01.05.20 under "Sales / Billing" which was again closed without any response. Then I opened another ticket under "Licenses" on 02.05.2020 and to date no response has been received.

I don't whine about things its just that I admired DA for something that really upheld against CPanel and the recent encounter with them has let me down.

Comments

• May be there is a good reason behind that @DA_Mark @smtalk

• HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

Well just got response from them saying that they don't allow internal licenses anymore without expected commitment of 20-30 licenses due to abuse they have faced with respect to prices. Well its equal of saying "NO". Thanks @DA_Mark for your response.

• seriesnseriesn Member

Hey @Waqass curious question, if you don't mind sharing, how many active licenses do you have?

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • LeviLevi Member

Let's add some fuel to a fire. They didn't updated DA a while: https://www.directadmin.com/versions.php last update from 2020.02. Possible strugle due to quarantine?

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • @LTniger said:
    Let's add some fuel to a fire. They didn't updated DA a while: https://www.directadmin.com/versions.php last update from 2020.02. Possible strugle due to quarantine?

V1.61RC released 4 days ago - https://forum.directadmin.com/threads/directadmin-1-61-0-release-candidate-1.61252/

Thanked by 2seriesn DA_Mark
  • HostMayoHostMayo Member, Host Rep

@seriesn said:
    Hey @Waqass curious question, if you don't mind sharing, how many active licenses do you have?

Zero. I am using cpanel on my other servers and have one slice from Fransico based on DA. So yeah tell me that i'm not eligible.

But the thing is that 8 months ago I applied for internal license pricing and I got that and during 8 months I launched my website purely for DA and availed slice from buyvm to test things out and now when I installed it on my server to test things out I came to know that my internal licensing has been revoked.

• @Waqass said:
    Well just got response from them saying that they don't allow internal licenses anymore without expected commitment of 20-30 licenses due to abuse they have faced with respect to prices. Well its equal of saying "NO". Thanks @DA_Mark for your response.

Hope they dont start demanding that everyone have at least 20 licenses. Thats kind of crazy.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited May 2020

@hotlineservers said:

@Waqass said:

Hope they dont start demanding that everyone have at least 20 licenses. Thats kind of crazy.

Nobody is going to dish out one license for you to sell to your mate Bob for a few bucks are they?

20 is reasonable imo. Client systems like WHMCS and Blesta don't really offer a decent discount until you hit 10-20+ and realistically I'd imagine a control panel will be denser than a client management system. I.E, more licenses per client (you would have 5 DA servers but not necessarily 5 WHMCS/Blesta servers). Not to mention if the discount is significantly higher.

All I'm really seeing in this thread is OP isn't eligible for support because they were using a Community Based Support license tier.

Waqass said: But the thing is that 8 months ago I applied for internal license pricing and I got that and during 8 months I launched my website purely for DA and availed slice from buyvm to test things out and now when I installed it on my server to test things out I came to know that my internal licensing has been revoked.

I am confused at this bit. So you have a slice with BuyVM using their license or your license?

Thanked by 3smtalk NDTN DA_Mark
  • GojkoGojko Member

i agree with that, there is like no support and on forum, it is big chance that you don't get the answer at all

• @Gojko said:
    i agree with that, there is like no support and on forum, it is big chance that you don't get the answer at all

I couldn't find anyone with your username on their forum. Would you mind pasting the link to your thread and I'd be happy to help as best as i can as a user.

• Sounds to me he wanted in house pricing for 1 server because he is a "company" and has 1 server for DA. It's equivalent to saying the 1 pound of ground beef I want should be wholesale rather than buying the whole cow - because I am a "company" and I want it and am entitle to wholesale pricing because I said so.

• Looks like a miscommunication to me? Trial licenses arent entitled to direct support? Arent trials supposed to be full premiums versions for 30 days? If it were free version I would understand.

Removing the tag without communication and when asked why, ignored is kind of a dick thing to do specially @DA_Mark acts all kind, warm and approachable on here. And per the OP, they only replied back to him after posting here.

Dont keep people wondering seriously. It's offensive. It's much better to answer directly or after doing something tell why you did it (in the case of removing the tag). This is not a mental or guessing game.

Thanked by 1HostMayo
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2020

Only 20? Ask cPanel for their minimum purchases.

Ask Litespeed.

Ask anyone serious.

DA looks like a steal with the limit of 20 in contrast with them.

edit: also, really, priority high asking for a license conversion. Seriously?

• timelapsetimelapse Member
    edited May 2020

In my experience, some providers ask you to set it high or some have it set to high by default depending on category.

Can someone pls explain what internal licenses are? Is this like what @Francisco is giving? Were you asking to convert your trial to internal paid @Waqass ? Still, being outright rejected is better than being rejected silently.

edit: spelling

• Can someone pls explain what internal licenses are? Is this like what @Francisco is giving?

Yeah. You would have an internal license so you can offer it on your own hardware/server offerings.

It would be "internal" to the companies infrastructure and would need to be bundled with a server.

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • seriesnseriesn Member

Clouvider said: priority high asking for a license conversion. Seriously?

Sir! Everything is a high priority.

• timelapsetimelapse Member
    edited May 2020

@Mic-hael said:

Can someone pls explain what internal licenses are? Is this like what @Francisco is giving?

Yeah. You would have an internal license so you can offer it on your own hardware/server offerings.

It would be "internal" to the companies infrastructure and would need to be bundled with a server.

Thank you Michael!

Can you actually convert a trial to internal? Or there is a condition to do so? Like being a partner or etc?

edit:
    So I think he had a trial but didnt get support so he wanted to make it internal since he has an internal tag but they removed his tag after this request. Wow. Still, a trial should get direct support since that is a fully working and premium version of your products for N days.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited May 2020

@timelapse said:

@Mic-hael said:

Can someone pls explain what internal licenses are? Is this like what @Francisco is giving?

Thank you Michael!

Can you actually convert a trial to internal? Or there is a condition to do so? Like being a partner or etc?

edit:
    So I think he had a trial but didnt get support so he wanted to make it internal since he has an internal tag but they removed his tag after this request.

I am also under that impression. I don't know if you can convert a trial to an internal.

Wow. Still, a trial should get direct support since that is a fully working and premium version of your products for N days.

The pricing page states the same level of support for a Trial license as a Personal one (Community Based)

Edit: but it does include "Fully functional license with all features". I just imagine they are classing the actual in-the-box features, rather than things like support and installation services that they offer on higher plans.

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • @Mic-hael said:
    The pricing page states the same level of support for a Trial license as a Personal one (Community Based)

Edit: but it does include "Fully functional license with all features". I just imagine they are classing the actual in-the-box features, rather than things like support and installation services that they offer on higher plans.

Makes sense to me, at least.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee DA_Mark
  • seriesnseriesn Member

@Unbelievable said:
    Sounds to me he wanted in house pricing for 1 server because he is a "company" and has 1 server for DA. It's equivalent to saying the 1 pound of ground beef I want should be wholesale rather than buying the whole cow - because I am a "company" and I want it and am entitle to wholesale pricing because I said so.

Judging by Marks answer, that is what it sounds like. To be honest, this should have been done a while back. DA was the only one that had no minimum requirements when it comes to volume discount.

I am glad to see that Da continues to evolve the right way.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee DA_Mark
  • cazrzcazrz Member
    edited May 2020

Been wanting to try DA, but I haven't got time yet hopefully next month. I see that some things I needed requires a 3rd party plugin called "custom builds". Another thing is that a bunch of configuration I need, in DA it requires you to do it via command line, like those exim configs. So if I have 100s of managed vps, this is daunting to maintain?

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited May 2020

cazrz said: So if I have 100s of managed vps, this is daunting to maintain?

Create your own iso/template? That is what most of us do when in need of a quick solution :)

cazrz said: I see that some things I needed requires a 3rd party plugin called "custom builds".

Custombuild "GUI" is actually integrated now by default. It used to be all CLI based.

Thanked by 1cazrz
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@seriesn said:

cazrz said: So if I have 100s of managed vps, this is daunting to maintain?

Create your own iso/template? That is what most of us do when in need of a quick solution :)

cazrz said: I see that some things I needed requires a 3rd party plugin called "custom builds".

Custombuild "GUI" is actually integrated now by default. It used to be all CLI based.

That's great then. Now need to check their API docu. I can't seem to find in their site.

• DA_MarkDA_Mark Member

I'm willing to accept some blame here. If I were @Waqass, I'd feel a bit offended too. Let me provide more information, and the community can give some guidance. I have made some mistakes so I would value some input.

I've been driving @smtalk (a VERY valuable member of our company) crazy because of how far I'm willing to go for the small guy. Deepest discounts, internal pricing, without any obligations at all. If you have one customer asking for DA, you don't want to be pressured to commit to lots more licenses, do you? That was my reasoning.

Turns out this has backfired badly. There are many "data-centers" who order just 1 or 2 (cheap!) internal licenses and then open 100+ support tickets. They figured out a way to get technical help for almost no cost. My attempt to help small VPS/server providers has placed an incredible burden on our support staff.

@Waqass, I have nothing against you. But please realize, you asked for internal pricing 8 months ago and never ordered a single license since then. I would be more than happy to honor my original promise if you agree to not having any support demands. I am not trying to be greedy, but I must be responsible to my tech staff. We can no longer handle people claiming to be large server providers or datacenters.. then ordering a single $5 license, and then using it to troubleshoot any technical issue they have...

• LeviLevi Member

DA_Mark said: My attempt to help small VPS/server providers has placed an incredible burden on our support staff.

So... It's time to rethink support strategy? Trial, personal and lite licenses receive no P2P support, only KB and forum. Only standard license receives P2P. Learn from cisco :)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Providing Technical support for cheap services is extremly hard. In this I feel for @DA_Mark, it's a common problem.

Although it does seem like in this case that discounted licenses should come with no commercial support.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

People are going to hate me for this (and that's okay) but I personally really liked the Incero method of support, because it kept all the idiots from tying up their support. You paid a fee for opening a priority support ticket, and if it was an issue on their end, you were refunded.

I would be a huge fan of charging say $5 to open a support ticket, and if it's a bug or DA issue, you get refunded. If not, then the person just paid your staff to answer the ticket. You have cPanel to compete with, and of course they don't charge (aside from priority support), but I would have rather seen them go to a paid support model instead of raising the license prices.

It's ridiculous to think that you should answer 100 tickets a month from someone paying for a single $5 license. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to do that even for your Lite or Standard licenses.

Thanked by 2webclouddev DA_Mark
  • LeviLevi Member

WSWD said: t's ridiculous to think that you should answer 100 tickets a month from someone paying for a single $5 license.

In such case you have a few options:

• increase license price
    • limit support requests to a X ticket per month
    • introduce extra fee per additional ticket / question outside of free support ticket allotment

If support is a major burden for company - it must adapt, otherwise their reputation (which is something you can't buy) will degrade rapidly.

• emreemre Member, LIR

DA_Mark said: Turns out this has backfired badly. There are many "data-centers" who order just 1 or 2 (cheap!) internal licenses and then open 100+ support tickets. They figured out a way to get technical help for almost no cost. My attempt to help small VPS/server providers has placed an incredible burden on our support staff.

OOO WAIT!!! IS THERE FREE SUPPORT from DirectAdmin ( Like Managed Support , which I understand from what you have written ? ) ??

I own more than 200 internal licenses - Other than 3 or 5 tickets about payment issues - I never asked for managed directadmin support anything?

I guess 5 tickets all about payment stuff with having 200+ licenses in the last 16 years is something I guess :neutral:

My first license was dated 20-06-2004 :smiley:

hey @DA_Mark please give me free internal licences for not opening a single support ticket for the last 16 years please!

I am the reason why you become what you become now !!!

I can take 1 license for each year that I Did not open a support ticket.

yes thank you very much :smiley:

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • emreemre Member, LIR

emre said: I guess 5 tickets all about payment stuff with having 200+ licenses in the last 16 years is something I guess

My first license was dated 20-06-2004

NO it's been 17 years not 16

I checked again
    first license date

25-06-2003

:smiley: