Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMaxim is shutting down :( - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMaxim is shutting down :(

2»

Comments

• Honestly - if pricing was the issue - you could have just raised up the prices, enough to make it sustainable. Even though this is LowEnd - I doubt people would mind paying up to double for something that nobody else seems to offer (Tampa location).
    Just saying.
    And with that said - good luck in your future endeavors.

• t0ny0 said: (Tampa location).

SpeedyKVM offers this location (Hivelocity).

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@HM-Michael said:

@Lee said:
    I will be that guy.

So you launched this service in late January, barely 3 full months have passed and you are closing the service blaming the pandemic? I smell BS.

We’re primarily an MSP. We lost about half our customers due to them closing shop or simply not being able to pay.. The MSP side was still subsidizing our VPS hosting product, in addition to a small amount of separate funding from myself and my business partners (7-12%). I had to take a major pay cut for my primary source of income due to COVID-19. HostMaxim was an attempt for us to diversify the business, which was heading towards success, but due to the pandemic things were cut a bit short.

I saw around a 40% reduction in revenue for web hosting. I decided to subsidize some (like charities, etc.) and just let others go. Coronavirus is very hard, but I guess people just don’t want to pay for such stuff when they might be unemployed. Good thing other stuff that gets done on the servers is profitable.

• I’m currently in talks with another provider to acquire the clients. Updates coming soon.

• mike1smike1s Member
    edited April 2020

Dear Valued Customer,

Please be advised that the HostMaxim client base has recently been acquired by SmartHost, LLC (http://www.smarthost.net). SmartHost is a Web Hosting & Data Center Services provider, established in 1998, based in Henderson, Nevada, USA, with operations in the US and Europe.

SmartHost operates on the basis of providing very high-level customer service to our clientele, via one-on-one relationships we like to build. I would like to assure you that with SmartHost, you will continue to receive the same level of service HostMaxim provided you, if not better. SmartHost will NOT be raising prices, nor changing plans, and Smarthost will honor all accounts and offers already in place from HostMaxim existing clientele.

HostMaxim clientele will shortly have access to the full SmartHost suite of services including NVME SSD VPS, KVM/OpenVZ VPS, Linux/Windows VPS, Cloud Hosting, Storage VPS, Resource/Reseller Pool VPS, Dedicated Servers, & Co-Location, all available across our multiple service locations. Current service locations include: Jacksonville FL, Los Angeles CA, Dallas TX, Las Vegas NV, Piscataway NJ, Denver CO, Boston MA, Buffalo NY, Herndon VA, Chicago IL, Seattle WA, London UK, and Amsterdam NL... with more locations planned moving forward, including Atlanta GA, Singapore, and Sydney AU.

Over the next few weeks, SmartHost will be migrating your service to the Smarthost platform. The infrastructure to service the HostMaxim client base has been installed and ready for service. By default, we will be migrating the Florida-based VPS services to the nearby Jacksonville FL location, while UK services migrate to the SmartHost UK location. We hope to make this a smooth process behind the scenes for the client base. Should you have any interest in being hosted at one of the locations other than Florida or the UK, or wish for just a fresh account sooner without data migrated, please do reach out to SmartHost, and that can be arranged.

Please ensure to cancel any PayPal subscriptions you may have with HostMaxim, as you will set up new with SmartHost following the migration.

SmartHost looks forward to servicing the HostMaxim client base, and I think in a few months you will to look back on this and say that this was an acquisition that actually went smoothly and worked out for the best!

If you have any questions at all about the operational changes from the acquisition, or any questions about SmartHost, please do not hesitate to ask! SmartHost can be reached via email at [email protected], at which I think you will find SmartHost quite responsive.

• @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

t0ny0 said: (Tampa location).

Problem is - they charge $50/TB overage, which is slightly ridiculous. Other than that - it looks awesome.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@t0ny0 said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

Problem is - they charge $50/TB overage, which is slightly ridiculous. Other than that - it looks awesome.

HV overages are generally expensive, consider Miami instead, more options, even some who use RS that have 150TB included.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Mic-hael oh... wait. :-D

Thanked by 2Ympker MichaelCee
  • @t0ny0 said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

Gthost has unmetered. No overages there. Plus they also have A Miami datacenter.

• @hotlineservers said:

@t0ny0 said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

Gthost has unmetered. No overages there. Plus they also have A Miami datacenter.

There are maaany alternatives in Miami. Not in Tampa though.
    Also GTHost offers dedicated servers, and not VPS.

• hostwebishostwebis Member, Host Rep

Sad to know. All the best for you guys.

• HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2020

Email me and I will get things sorted out, Our overage charges should not be “ridiculous”. This seems like a fairly easy thing to overcome.

Thanked by 2Foul mike1s
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2020

t0ny0 said: Problem is - they charge $50/TB overage, which is slightly ridiculous. Other than that - it looks awesome.

It might be worth trying to negotiate. $0.05/GB is not uncommon to see, but rarely fair. It's a stupid rate TBH unless in an expensive region. In most common regions if a network requires more than $0.01/GB for overage they must be seriously oversubscribing (or perhaps they have poor negotiating ability for their transit).

The vast majority of standard transit in he US is less than $0.1/mbit (after negotiation). So costs transferred from transit are already at a significant markup for a $0.005/GB overage rate (1mbit is ~300GB consistent). Of course they are not the only costs (switching, cabling, management, power) however those are fairly minor at scale.

TL;DR
    $0.050 ($50/TB): over-priced overage
    $0.005 ($5/TB): normal cost for overage
    $0.002 ($2/TB): great deal
    $0.001 ($1/TB): why even pay for bandwidth in advance?

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

@MikeA said:

@t0ny0 said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

HV overages are generally expensive, consider Miami instead, more options, even some who use RS that have 150TB included.

Can I ask where you are seeing the cost for bandwidth overages at SpeedyKVM? I can't find any mention of that on the site and our techs are not aware of that being the case in the system. As I said last night, we do not want any of our pricing to be seen as ridiculous. I will gladly update the pricing to what is fair and considered a high value. I just need to know where you are seeing the price now. Thanks!

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • edited April 2020

@Hivelocity said:

@MikeA said:

@t0ny0 said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

Can I ask where you are seeing the cost for bandwidth overages at SpeedyKVM? I can't find any mention of that on the site and our techs are not aware of that being the case in the system. As I said last night, we do not want any of our pricing to be seen as ridiculous. I will gladly update the pricing to what is fair and considered a high value. I just need to know where you are seeing the price now. Thanks!

I opened a ticket asking about that 2 days ago. And I was quoted the "ToS". Here is what I was told, when I asked what the overage fees were:

Hello

I believe the details for bandwidth are in our TOS. As for the bandwidth that is counted both in+out are tracked.

https://speedykvm.com/tos.html

a. Bandwidth. Customer agrees that bandwidth usage shall not exceed the number of Gigabytes per month for the Products and Services ordered by Customer on the Order Form (the “Agreed Usage”) without overage fees and/or penalties occurring. Hivelocity will monitor Customer’s bandwidth and reserves the right to take corrective action if Customer’s bandwidth exceeds the Agreed Usage. Such corrective action may include the assessment of additional charges, disconnection or discontinuance of any and all Products and Services, or termination of these Terms of Service, which actions may be taken by Hivelocity in its sole and absolute discretion. If Hivelocity takes any corrective action under these Terms of Service, Customer shall not be entitled to a refund of any fees paid in advance prior to such action. Bandwidth usage is measured on a monthly basis with the server start date serving as the beginning of the monthly bandwidth measuring cycle. Only outgoing traffic is counted and applied towards the Agreed Usage. In the event that Customer exceeds the Agreed Usage, Hivelocity may, at its sole discretion, collect overage fees, in the amount of $0.05 per GB from Customer, or to the extent that Customer has a credit card on file with Hivelocity, apply such charge against Customer’s credit card. Data transfer in excess of the Agreed Usage shall be automatically billed to Customer. Unused Agreed Usage or bandwidth allocations cannot be carried over to future months or applied to other servers.

Customer consents to Hivelocity’s use of Customer’s name and logo during the term of service solely to identify Customer as a client of Hivelocity.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Tomislav Tom Protich
    HIVELOCITY | Sr. Systems Engineer

Although looking at the ToS now - it states $0.005/GB and not the $0.05/GB I was told in this reply. Perhaps that was recently updated.

@t0ny0 said:

@Hivelocity said:

@MikeA said:

@t0ny0 said:

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

I opened a ticket asking about that 2 days ago. And I was quoted the "ToS". Here is what I was told, when I asked what the overage fees were:

Hello

I believe the details for bandwidth are in our TOS. As for the bandwidth that is counted both in+out are tracked.

https://speedykvm.com/tos.html

a. Bandwidth. Customer agrees that bandwidth usage shall not exceed the number of Gigabytes per month for the Products and Services ordered by Customer on the Order Form (the “Agreed Usage”) without overage fees and/or penalties occurring. Hivelocity will monitor Customer’s bandwidth and reserves the right to take corrective action if Customer’s bandwidth exceeds the Agreed Usage. Such corrective action may include the assessment of additional charges, disconnection or discontinuance of any and all Products and Services, or termination of these Terms of Service, which actions may be taken by Hivelocity in its sole and absolute discretion. If Hivelocity takes any corrective action under these Terms of Service, Customer shall not be entitled to a refund of any fees paid in advance prior to such action. Bandwidth usage is measured on a monthly basis with the server start date serving as the beginning of the monthly bandwidth measuring cycle. Only outgoing traffic is counted and applied towards the Agreed Usage. In the event that Customer exceeds the Agreed Usage, Hivelocity may, at its sole discretion, collect overage fees, in the amount of $0.05 per GB from Customer, or to the extent that Customer has a credit card on file with Hivelocity, apply such charge against Customer’s credit card. Data transfer in excess of the Agreed Usage shall be automatically billed to Customer. Unused Agreed Usage or bandwidth allocations cannot be carried over to future months or applied to other servers.

Customer consents to Hivelocity’s use of Customer’s name and logo during the term of service solely to identify Customer as a client of Hivelocity.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Tomislav Tom Protich
    HIVELOCITY | Sr. Systems Engineer

Although looking at the ToS now - it states $0.005/GB and not the $0.05/GB I was told in this reply. Perhaps that was recently updated.

Yes, we have updated it just now thanks to you all bringing this to our attention. I hope you find the new rates more palatable.