Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for new dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for new dedicated server

Hi all, it's time for me to move to a new host. Again. My needs are relatively simple.

PHP, MySQL, https (is that just a given in 2020?), rapid scaling to a more powerful server (if/when needed) and... competent support.

I define competent support as attention to details and an interest in making my server run well for my needs (which aren't unique, this shouldn't be hard). When my site runs slowly I would like a tech to answer why rather than respond with "its running fine now, try it again!" I'd also like a company that will look at a waterfall from Pingdom and explain to me (I'm not a network guy, just a programmer) why each item is taking as long as it does and suggest strategies to improve load times.

So, can anybody recommend anyone? I'm leaning towards a larger company (like Bluehost) that might have the resources to answer these questions more efficiently as I'm kinda done with smaller hosts.

Comments

• What is up bossman!

So you are looking for managed hosting?

Got a budget?

Spec requirement?

Why are you not happy with your current provider?

P.S: Not a dedicated server provider. So not gonna spam this thread with offers, but can definitely guide you in the right direction.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2020

You need 2 services:

1. Good server with a good server admin. Possibly look at KnownHost or JoneSolutions.

2. Good web developer to help with your website issues.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited April 2020

I'm leaning towards a larger company (like Bluehost) that might have the resources to answer these questions more efficiently as I'm kinda done with smaller hosts.

Haha, no. Tier 1 support from Bluehost would not even understand what pingdom is.

When my site runs slowly I would like a tech to answer why rather than respond with "its running fine now, try it again!"

This is why you don't want Bluehost. You want someone like Knownhost, small but not too small, not an enterprise cog-machine where no one cares whether you stay subscribed, etc.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

In terms of managed services, I definitely read most about KnownHost.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Hmm, the OP signs up and immediately starts a thread mentioning Bluehost. No, he couldn't be a shill, could he?

• @angstrom said:
    Hmm, the OP signs up and immediately starts a thread mentioning Bluehost. No, he couldn't be a shill, could he?

No, the mention is pretty weak.

• @RustyAxe said:
    "its running fine now, try it again!"

I hate when customer support using this sentence. Although to be fair, this is the most standard go to response for me to my customer.

Because well, explaining it to the customer is troublesome, and most of the time the customer doesn't understand what I am talking about.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:

I agree that the mention is pretty weak, but even a weak mention could be enough for one's purposes, especially if one doesn't want to be caught. (Yes, I'm skeptical)

In any case, more than 24 hours later, he hasn't checked back, so I wonder how interested he is in possible suggestions

• @angstrom said:

@TimboJones said:

@angstrom said:

I agree that the mention is pretty weak, but even a weak mention could be enough for one's purposes, especially if one doesn't want to be caught. (Yes, I'm skeptical)

In any case, more than 24 hours later, he hasn't checked back, so I wonder how interested he is in possible suggestions

That could just be from lack of responses, but the lack of specification, pricing, location, etc will hurt the responses. Actually, you've now convinced me he was a shill.

Thanked by 1angstrom