Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solid Remote Desktop Software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solid Remote Desktop Software

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Everyone,

Looking for suggestions on how to best solve the following situation:

1. I live in Florida, my parents are in NY and they occasionally need help with their computers. I need an ability to easily remote access their PCs to help them solve problems they are faced with. They have dynamic IPs.

2. My part time book keeper works and lives remotely, and also needs to login to a computer at my parents house. Same situation as above with dynamic IP.

All computers involved run Windows.

For a long time we used Team Viewer, but they've recently limited the free license and the paid per seat model is very expensive - I have no problem paying but what they are charging seems almost abusive for the light duty work I am looking to do.

In searching a bit I found Chrome Remote Desktop, which works reasonably well but does not allow for unattended access, which I'd like to have again (Team Viewer offered this) and Chrome Remote Desktop is very feature light -- bare bones you could say.

Any suggestions before I bite the bullet and pay Team Viewer their king's ransom?

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited April 2020

You could try Anydesk that would pretty good too. Get the ID and set a password and you can login unattended at any point.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Jord said:
    You could try Anydesk that would pretty good too. Get the ID and set a password and you can login unattended at any point.

Will check this out now!

• hostnamastehostnamaste Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2020

You could try NoMachine.

Apart from Web Based Interface Chrome Remote Desktop and Chrome RDP, there is one another Microsoft RDP Remote Desktop Web Client. However, It's setup is lengthy.

• Anydesk is good, but it keep requesting permissions when you need to run/execute programs, also to do some task... so you will need the other people stay in front the PC while your working.

@Juanceto said:
    Anydesk is good, but it keep requesting permissions when you need to run/execute programs, also to do some task... so you will need the other people stay in front the PC while your working.

Ouch that is a bummer.

I am testing Anydesk right now and was impressed so far.

• hostnamastehostnamaste Member, Patron Provider

If you are planning to use Anydesk on desktop, you could, but don't use it on mobile device as is not recommended. Source: https://www.quora.com/What-do-AnyDesk-app-do-why-is-it-not-recommended-to-download-this-app-on-your-mobile

@Juanceto said:
    Anydesk is good, but it keep requesting permissions when you need to run/execute programs, also to do some task... so you will need the other people stay in front the PC while your working.

Oh I've never had that issue and I use it on a server in Germany without any issues. I can install programs and do everything I can do via Teamviewer/RDP.

• jbiloh said: Ouch that is a bummer.

I'm pretty sure you can disable this behavior in the settings.

• hostworldhostworld Member, Host Rep

+1 for Anydesk. I use this with family and friends when they have PC issues. It's already pre installed on their computer so all they need to is grant me access.

So far I am very impressed by Anydesk. Nice suggestion @Jord

@jbiloh said:
    So far I am very impressed by Anydesk. Nice suggestion @Jord

No problem, glad it worked out.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

For what you’re looking to do AnyDesk should do the trick. The only issue I’ve noticed with Anydesk is it will at times become unresponsive on the client side after extended use, and the file transfer tool seems premature. I’m sure that will get fixed over time.

Thanked by 1SCAM_AlphaRacks
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

AnyDesk should be good, if you want something to host yourself simple-help.com

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

Try SimpleHelp https://simple-help.com/
    I use it I bought it when screenconnect was $300(before buyout) and it still works good, I had the choice between screenconnect & SimpleHelp and I choose simplehelp because they was willing to work with me.

• isaaclisaacl Member
    edited April 2020

ScreenConnect is fantastic, they have a free version that might work...

Nice suggestions, thanks guys.

I can agree that the file transfer portion of Anydesk needs some polish. But it does work.

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

Have you tried ultraviewer? It's free and great just like teamviewer...

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • Windows 10 comes with built in Quick Assist app. Just instruct them to open it & then provide support code from your end if you have Windows 10 as well. Otherwise anydesk is good alternative

Thanked by 1ernie88
  • fLoofLoo Member
    edited April 2020

I've switched to Anydesk company wise and privately. So much cheaper than TV and doing the same job as good its competitor.

• AnyDesk is prem

Thanked by 1timelapse
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Splashtop is pretty reasonably priced and works well.

@ernie88 said:
    AnyDesk is prem

Yep looks like its going to work for my needs quite well.

• bdlbdl Member

Been using anydesk with my parents for a while now and it was an easy transition from Teamviewer for them. TV was giving me "you're using this commercially" for home support tasks so out they went.

I always like having an alternate path of control so ConnectWise free is good for this:
    https://docs.connectwise.com/ConnectWise_Control_Documentation/Get_started/ConnectWise_Control_Free

Thanked by 2timelapse ernie88
  • Anydesk is great but there was some delay when moving the mouse for me, etc compared to TV. TV was also better in terms of permissions control. But yes TV is very expensive I hope they release a lite license billed monthly or at least even hourly for doing quick, simple tasks!

• LogMeIn RescueAssist is great

• o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited April 2020

I've always heard about AnyDesk for that. I've tried it and it worked quite nice (it was for my living room computer). Finally i've switched to Parsec, has Parsec is made for the gaming streaming in my head i was like "experience will be better" and it is for personnal stuffs, imo.

• Providing support remotely is something I have done professionally for years here are a few notes.

If you wanted to setup a more self-hosted configuration over sending your data to third parties. You can setup a RD-Web server and add your desktops to that pool (user cal's for RDS is required). Apache Guacamole can also be setup and used over a web browser (https://guacamole.apache.org/).

I handle my dynamic DNS issues by using a subdomain and a script to update the IP for the A record. If you use cloudflare their already is several DynDNS clients that use their API.

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • noezdenoezde Member, Patron Provider

Im using Ultraviewer and for work the microsoft rdp client via vpn

• AnyDesk seems like a good option to replace Team Viewer, but you can also configure personal VPN and use RDP protocol maybe ?

• NorrisNorris Member
    edited April 2020

I've used Ultravnc single click

You generate your exe through the ultravnc website and putting your IP and port parameters, your public ip.

Your customer will connect to you in one click.

https://www.uvnc.com/products/uvnc-sc.html