Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner?

Comments

• pbxpbx Member

@AC_Fan thanks. While OVH in BHS is a big player and offers great bang for the buck, VirMach is CC-only and it's hard to trust them in the long term (I could be wrong on that!). HostHatch and SmartHost seem to be quite small, maybe not one man show but not too far from it, isn't it?

RamNode is great but not so cheap these days. Gonna check the other ones to see if they have some interesting offers but some of them seem to be in the not-so-cheap side of things (probably well worth it, though, but not comparable to Hetzner/Netcup/OVH and similar providers).

• FalzoFalzo Member

simple. cheap. reliable. most bang for the buck in most (european) use cases.
    they put hurdles against possible abuse? good, makes me even more want them, even if that means some false positives bite the dust.

• @pbx said:
    @AC_Fan thanks. While OVH in BHS is a big player and offers great bang for the buck, VirMach is CC-only and it's hard to trust them in the long term (I could be wrong on that!). HostHatch and SmartHost seem to be quite small, maybe not one man show but not too far from it, isn't it?

RamNode is great but not so cheap these days. Gonna check the other ones to see if they have some interesting offers but some of them seem to be in the not-so-cheap side of things (probably well worth it, though, but not comparable to Hetzner/Netcup/OVH and similar providers).

VirMach's normal offering is very sustainable, so I wouldn't worry too much. They might be small, but HH and SmartHost, along with ReliableSite, cover most of the important locations in the US, I feel. OVH is present in the US, but the network is very... interesting. Besides the ones I listed, you have BuyVM, FreeRangeCloud, NFOServers, GTHost, WebNX, Nocix/Dedispec, IOFlood too, and probably some others.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2020

I'm not obsessed with Hetzner. Does anyone know where I can get a tattoo of their logo though?

• jlayjlay Member

@pbx said:

jlay said: That's why I use them so much and deal with ~150ms of latency

That's something I have been curious about: how is Hetzner for US users? The network is good enough?

It's reliable enough for me, but I top out at about 100mbit throughput long-haul.

Pulling big files from Germany to the states where I am takes a little big longer, but no serious complaints

Thanked by 1pbx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2020

nbn said: They don't offer all that much better, or offer worse pricing compared to competitors on similar VPS

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Octa-Core
    128G RAM
    2x 1TB NVMe
    2x 1.92TB SSD
    €123/m

Their dedicated servers are where it's at.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL Ympker
  • BuyVM has some location restrictions where they don't allow people to buy there products from some countries. BuyShared rejected my order because i'm from Sri Lanka

• LeeLee Veteran

sweatbar said: BuyVM has some location restrictions where they don't allow people to buy there products from some countries. BuyShared rejected my order because i'm from Sri Lanka

Cool story, anything else you wanted to get off your chest? No, good.

Thanked by 1donko
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    @mca5701 - For non-hardware and non-network/DC-related issues, our support teams work normal business hours here in Germany. We have their office hours posted here: https://www.hetzner.com/support-center (Scroll down to "Telephone support hours".)
    However, we man our DCs 24/7/365 including on holidays; so if you, for example, need a hardware check, our DC support teams will usually be able to respond quickly. Our goal is to respond within 4 hours, but in reality, it's usually much quicker.
    With non-DC support staff, our goal is to respond within 4 business hours in Central European time.
    @townty - Our very low prices unfortunately attract people who want to abuse our servers. That's why we have to be very careful. Our servers are powerful machines, and in the wrong hands, they have the potential to do damage. We have a responsibility to protect other people on the internet, and we take this responsibility seriously. Sure, if we were less strict about accepting new accounts, we could make more money. But that is less important to us than being responsible. In addition, having a good reputation as a provider is important for our customers, so that they don't face issues themselves. I hope you can understand. --Katie

Understood. It would be great If Support can reply on the same day as long as the ticket landed in the inbox before lunch time on working day :smile:

• @sweatbar said:
    BuyVM has some location restrictions where they don't allow people to buy there products from some countries. BuyShared rejected my order because i'm from Sri Lanka

They have the right to do so. So, better just move on :)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Lee said: I'm not obsessed with Hetzner. Does anyone know where I can get a tattoo of their logo though?

Hahaha, well, all kidding aside, our logos are available here. (Scroll down almost to the bottom.) I can't help you with the tattoo itself, though. ;)

While I was wasting time the other day, I came across this odd video on tattoos and Jeff Goldblum.
    --Katie

Thanked by 2Lee buzzyLET
    edited April 2020

mca5701 said: Understood. It would be great If Support can reply on the same day as long as the ticket landed in the inbox before lunch time on working day :smile:

Was this something that recently happened? If yes, please know that we have not been operating with our full staff over the last few weeks. We're doing our best.

Or was it a one-time event in the past..? I know occasionally there are tickets that might take a bit longer to answer because they require a bit of investigation or communication between team members. Sometimes our team members are not as good as they could be about responding quickly to these kinds of tickets to write something like, "I don't have an immediate answer to this ticket, but I will work on it. It may take a bit longer, though. Hopefully I'll have an answer for you by X." This is something that we need to improve on.

Or was it something else..? Just curious ;) --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:

mca5701 said: Understood. It would be great If Support can reply on the same day as long as the ticket landed in the inbox before lunch time on working day :smile:

Was this something that recently happened? If yes, please know that we have not been operating with our full staff over the last few weeks. We're doing our best.

Or was it a one-time event in the past..? I know occasionally there are tickets that might take a bit longer to answer because they require a bit of investigation or communication between team members. Sometimes our team members are not as good as they could be about responding quickly to these kinds of tickets to write something like, "I don't have an immediate answer to this ticket, but I will work on it. It may take a bit longer, though. Hopefully I'll have an answer for you by ." This is something that we need to improve on.

Or was it something else..? Just curious ;) --Katie

It happened and resolved in the middle of last month.
    Yes, It will be good to keep posted on the situation even-though support does not have immediate answer. So if 8 hours has passed and still progressing, send update that You are working on it. That keeping our expectation and certainty.

Hi @Broscience - Points 1-3: I know that our new account verification policies are not very popular, particularly the part about the ID. They really are not meant to be inconvenient, hurtful, or insulting. The truth of the matter is that it's difficult to know who to trust online for any business. Accepting any new customer always carries some risk with it. We're just trying to minimize it as much as we can. The people who make fake accounts can be very creative and wily. So we have to be careful.
    Point 3, specifically: There will always be some false-positives in our system. It's unfortunate when this happens, but we would rather be safe.
    Point 4: You're responsible for preventing abuse on your server, period, regardless of whether the abuse is from your kid or your end customers.
    Point 5: I am not saying you're wrong; that is in our TOS. But we usually tell people why their accounts have been suspended. The most common exception is if a new account appears to be fake. We don't tell customers why their account looks fake because it makes it easier for spammers and scammers to fake accounts in the future. What often happens with disabled accounts is that customers don't notice they have received emails from our team in an inbox that they don't usually check, or that may have been sent to their spam folder. These are usually related to abuse or late payments.
    We understand that these policies may mean that customers will go to other providers. We're okay with that. (I'm not angry. It's always good to have feedback.) --Katie

@Skura said:
    @Hetzner_OL We need you At the middle east :)

Thanks for the feedback. It's great to know that we have fans in the Middle East. I'll pass that onto my coworker who's responsible for business development. I'm always bugging him about what options he's considering for future locations, but he's pretty tight-lipped, even with me. ;) Of course, if we have firm information on a possible new location, we'll post it here. --Katie

Thanked by 1Skura
  • @Hetzner_OL We need you At the middle east :)

Thanks for the feedback. It's great to know that we have fans in the Middle East. I'll pass that onto my coworker who's responsible for business development. I'm always bugging him about what options he's considering for future locations, but he's pretty tight-lipped, even with me. ;) Of course, if we have firm information on a possible new location, we'll post it here. --Katie

Just don't forget USA and Asia :)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2020

@nbn said:
    Other than the server auction it doesn't seem to me like Hetzner is that great. They don't offer all that much better, or offer worse pricing compared to competitors on similar VPS, like buyvm.net. Also they don't have US VPS. Am I missing something?

Pricing alone isn't why. It's their performance to price ratio being much higher if you geographical hosting requirements are met.

From my 13 way VPS comparison benchmarks for Upcloud, DigitalOcean, Linode, Vultr and Hetzner at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/13-way-vps-server-benchmark-comparison-tests-upcloud-vs-digitalocean-vs-linode-vs-vultr-vs-hetzner.17742/ you can see while performance wasn't the fastest for Hetzner, their performance to price ratio was up there.

• hanzenhanzen Member
    edited April 2020

I just created my Hetzner Account at last and you know what it is Their Hobby to Scare their Customers Away and Waste their Time! When I Registered Successfully I received a mail saying that I have a Debt. Wow! So, they are Thieves as well! I have never registered or used or bought their services before and they say that We are Disabling your Account because you have a Pending Invoice. They really do not want to deal with New Customers so fine, I do not want to deal with Theives. This was the Worst Experience of my Life!

• @hanzen said:
    This was the Worst Experience of my Life!

People are dying and losing jobs and family members. I guess you haven't lived long enough yet.

• @eva2000 said:

@nbn said:
    Other than the server auction it doesn't seem to me like Hetzner is that great. They don't offer all that much better, or offer worse pricing compared to competitors on similar VPS, like buyvm.net. Also they don't have US VPS. Am I missing something?

Pricing alone isn't why. It's their performance to price ratio being much higher if you geographical hosting requirements are met.

From my 13 way VPS comparison benchmarks for Upcloud, DigitalOcean, Linode, Vultr and Hetzner at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/13-way-vps-server-benchmark-comparison-tests-upcloud-vs-digitalocean-vs-linode-vs-vultr-vs-hetzner.17742/ you can see while performance wasn't the fastest for Hetzner, their performance to price ratio was up there.

If you consider the new Epyc based VMs, they might come near the top in performance as well.

• @seriesn said:

@hanzen said:
    This was the Worst Experience of my Life!

People are dying and losing jobs and family members. I guess you haven't lived long enough yet.

Yeah I know Life has many ups and downs but I was talking about my Experience with Providers.. :(

• @hanzen said:
    I just created my Hetzner Account at last and you know what it is Their Hobby to Scare their Customers Away and Waste their Time! When I Registered Successfully I received a mail saying that I have a Debt. Wow! So, they are Thieves as well! I have never registered or used or bought their services before and they say that We are Disabling your Account because you have a Pending Invoice. They really do not want to deal with New Customers so fine, I do not want to deal with Theives. This was the Worst Experience of my Life!

Your over here bitching too? Lol man

Hetzner is my shit and will probably never give up my ex42, unless they have no setup fee day and probably jump to the ex52.

• LeeLee Veteran

hanzen said: but I was talking about my Experience with Providers

We get it, but, nobody cares, move on and stop posting your shit in multiple threads.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@hanzen said:
    Yeah I know Life has many ups and downs but I was talking about my Experience with Providers.. :(

Your "experience" seems invalid to me. At least, that's my conclusion after reading your sorry thread.

• sweatbarsweatbar Member
    edited April 2020

@jonesolutions said:

@sweatbar said:
    BuyVM has some location restrictions where they don't allow people to buy there products from some countries. BuyShared rejected my order because i'm from Sri Lanka

They have the right to do so. So, better just move on :)

Of course they have that's why i'm obsessed with Hetzner! (as an answer to OP's question.)

• I'm a customer at Hetzner since 13-04-2017 and after these couple of years, I can say they are the best.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited April 2020

I'm unreasonably excited about the launch of Epyc in the cloud. So many cores, my Kubernetes clusters are going to love this

More details for those who haven't seen:
    https://www.hetzner.com/news/04-20-cloud-amd/

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • i use both frantech/buyvm and hetzner, and both are really good. for VPS - frantech, for dedicated - hetzner.

• @mca5701 said:
    Hetzner does hourly billing. It's very good if We just want to test something or do specific scenario. Very convenient without paying full month rent.

Their private network also great & easy to configure. It's just work. Making it easy to test multi server scenario.

Indeed, it would be nice to see them take it a bit further and be able to provision VM's without the public interface.

I think they're one of the cheapest "cloud" environments which is quite handy for labbing clustered setups.

• akhfaakhfa Member

@jlay said:
    I'm unreasonably excited about the launch of Epyc in the cloud. So many cores, my Kubernetes clusters are going to love this

More details for those who haven't seen:
    https://www.hetzner.com/news/04-20-cloud-amd/

Hi
    Sorry OOT, do you use https://github.com/hetznercloud/csi-driver on your cluster?
    Long time ago I tried it and there is many attach failed. I want to ask your opinion if you use it.
    Thank you