Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is everyone so obsessed with Hetzner?

nbnnbn Member
edited April 2020 in Providers

Other than the server auction it doesn't seem to me like Hetzner is that great. They don't offer all that much better, or offer worse pricing compared to competitors on similar VPS, like buyvm.net. Also they don't have US VPS. Am I missing something?

Comments

• @nbn Compare them to other services in Europe. Yes BuyVM is in Lux and Francisco runs an excellent shop. But compare some of the others to Hetzner (and compare the others to BuyVM as well). Hetzner has 3 locations, a larger staff than a one man show. Hetzner delivers pretty solid reliability for provisioning and the network is pretty solid in Europe. A lot of people on LET use them and they don't have too many difficulties or worries. Many other places you wonder if they will run off with your money. So Hetzner is a safe bet or your money and your time - you won't waste either with them. As of today you can rent EPYC VPS on an hourly basis - many of the LET shops don't have that in Europe

• nbnnbn Member

@Unbelievable said:
    @nbn Compare them to other services in Europe. Yes BuyVM is in Lux and Francisco runs an excellent shop. But compare some of the others to Hetzner (and compare the others to BuyVM as well). Hetzner has 3 locations, a larger staff than a one man show. Hetzner delivers pretty solid reliability for provisioning and the network is pretty solid in Europe. A lot of people on LET use them and they don't have too many difficulties or worries. Many other places you wonder if they will run off with your money. So Hetzner is a safe bet or your money and your time - you won't waste either with them. As of today you can rent EPYC VPS on an hourly basis - many of the LET shops don't have that in Europe

Fair answer. Thanks. Just seemed like a disproportionate amount of comments on here were "get a hetzner" and I couldn't see what it really had over Francisco

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @nbn I use BuyVM in the US and find it excellent and just started running Windows on their Ryzen VPS yesterday - good stuff, very fair price.

Thanked by 3bdl Francisco skorous
  • nbnnbn Member

@Unbelievable said:
    @nbn I use BuyVM in the US and find it excellent and just started running Windows on their Ryzen VPS yesterday - good stuff, very fair price.

I wasn't trying to make this into an ad for Francisco but I concur.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

nbn said: Thanks. Just seemed like a disproportionate amount of comments on here were "get a hetzner" and I couldn't see what it really had over Francisco

• Better network
    • Always stocked
    • Not a one man show
    • More bang for the buck if you want a big VM

They kind of target different markets. BuyVM has advantages too:

• Free anycast
    • Smallest VM is cheaper
    • You can directly contact the boss if things go wrong
    • Law of the land approach (and land not being Germany is a huge advantage for foreigners)
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited April 2020

Hetzner gives cores away more freely, private networks are fast, and provisioning is always nearly instant. Volumes are pretty cheap too. That's why I use them so much and deal with ~150ms of latency

If they moved to this side of the pond I'd spend so much more money with them

BuyVM is just as good if not better, mainly except stock.

The multi-CPU plans are a bit spendy, I'd like to see more flexible ratios between CPUs and memory. That complicates node scheduling and the business math so I understand.

I just find that more noisy cluster-y things now benefit from say 50% of two fast cores than say 100% of one basically just as fast core. I had a Kubernetes cluster running for a while and etcd made pretty heavy use of the two pretty fast cores I had, with the API server work offloaded to other VMs

It may require packing shared customers tighter so that dedicated users truly get dedicated use of at least a thread. There is a measurable performance penalty when allowed to bounce between cores, even with 100% free reign. Cache misses, context switches, added latency, and so on.

This can be implemented with cpusets and libvirt partitions, but the ordering/provisioning systems have to be smarter and now you're basically in the cloud business

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

From my pov the majority of people go with them for their dedicated server offering. They are by far the cheapest provider on the market for the hardware and network that they offer.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL maverickp
  • elflordelflord Member
    edited April 2020

I use Hetzner mainly because Europe is my main market, their price is right for EU, and their provisioning is near-instant. That said, I am using their vps offering, and not their dedicated servers.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • I heard some good review about Herzner and want to try with them, but in the 1st step which is registering (still not buying anything), they disabled my account without a notice. Maybe it's their policy to manual review, but "no reply" style is some thing not good for big company. I still try contacting with them. We'll see about that.

• Hetzner does hourly billing. It's very good if We just want to test something or do specific scenario. Very convenient without paying full month rent.

Their private network also great & easy to configure. It's just work. Making it easy to test multi server scenario.

The drawback is their support, that not always in quick response. Mostly they response within 2-4 hours or even 1 day. I'm from different timezone so time sync is a problem.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Mostly they response within 2-4 hours

Really..?!
    You use such a reasonable offer and complain about a response time of 2-4 hours?

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL Erisa
  • @v3ng said:

Mostly they response within 2-4 hours

Really..?!
    You use such a reasonable offer and complain about a response time of 2-4 hours?

I did not complaint. Just gave perspective of pro's and con's

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Simply Hetznerific

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @mca5701 said:
    The drawback is their support, that not always in quick response. Mostly they response within 2-4 hours or even 1 day. I'm from different timezone so time sync is a problem.

I take it that this is not hardware related? Because if it is a hardware issue, they do reply within 1 hour and with that price, I can't complain :) They still have solid network.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @jonesolutions said:

@mca5701 said:

I take it that this is not hardware related? Because if it is a hardware issue, they do reply within 1 hour and with that price, I can't complain :) They still have solid network.

Yes You right. I never got problem with hardware. They have solid HW and network.

• Price, speed, uptime, = +++

• ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited April 2020

Because Hetzner are epic.

Price, hardware, network are just three reasons. I'd assume most of us are European users that probably don't really care about a USA location from them (Or at least that's my view)..

As a customer looking for something in the USA, there are many Hetzner like options already available locally there.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@mca5701 - For non-hardware and non-network/DC-related issues, our support teams work normal business hours here in Germany. We have their office hours posted here: https://www.hetzner.com/support-center (Scroll down to "Telephone support hours".)
    However, we man our DCs 24/7/365 including on holidays; so if you, for example, need a hardware check, our DC support teams will usually be able to respond quickly. Our goal is to respond within 4 hours, but in reality, it's usually much quicker.
    With non-DC support staff, our goal is to respond within 4 business hours in Central European time.
    @townty - Our very low prices unfortunately attract people who want to abuse our servers. That's why we have to be very careful. Our servers are powerful machines, and in the wrong hands, they have the potential to do damage. We have a responsibility to protect other people on the internet, and we take this responsibility seriously. Sure, if we were less strict about accepting new accounts, we could make more money. But that is less important to us than being responsible. In addition, having a good reputation as a provider is important for our customers, so that they don't face issues themselves. I hope you can understand. --Katie

• LeviLevi Member

Hetz is a new black. Once risen, inevitably will fall. In the mean time, let's feast! It's a prem provider.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@nbn There's probably one or two companies or products that you're mildly obsessed with, too. I think everyone's got a few. I think it just depends which products help to make your life just a little bit easier, enjoyable, or more exciting. And, of course, that's going to change a lot from person to person. Right now, for example, I'm a big fan of the fruit and veg delivery service that I use. It feels like getting a healthy care package each week, and my home office lunches are much better for it. My brother doesn't get it, though, but then again, unlike me, he's never liked broccoli...
    For our fans, I'm guessing that there are a few small things that we do that just make us stand out from the others. It's always nice to learn what those small things are, so thanks if you shared them here! :D --Katie

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Funny thing, so rich and big company still has no Looking Glass!

Thanked by 1Broscience
  • Their VPS and servers and are top-end, but this will not make up for the fact that in order to become part of the Hetzner family you need to go through all stages of pain and humiliation and even when you become a part of their family you still go through the pain and humilation:
    1. You need to proof that you're a human being and have 2 legs and 2 hands
    2. You need to proof that your ID is yours
    3. Even if you're a human being and your ID is yours they can just easily reject you or ban
    4. If you forget to disable VPN and your kid just download something using torrents, you will be kicked from the Hetzner family
    5. Even if you're doing everything good and nice you can be kicked from the family and they even don't have to explain why (read their TOS).
    In other words, they look at you as a lord looks at his serfs

While you guys support (especially support by money) this attitude to you nothing will change. Yeah, Hetzner is a top provider, cuz they give you really nice servers for nice money, but those 5 points... If they only change it...
    As for me, I have 3 VPSes from 2 top providers, no one asked me about proofing I'm a human being or proofing my ID (even thou I always put there my ID cuz if you even forgot your password or someone steals your password you need to give your ID to regain access) and they're always in touch. I open a ticket and after 5-10 minutes they repsond. If I'm not satisfied with something, they give me options. I'm sure that their VPSes are a little bid worse than Hetzners, but their attitude is on top and that's why I will never leavy them for Hetzner. Moreover, I believe that we should support small business, small prodivers. Don't be angry, I just expressed my opinion.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • debaserdebaser Member
    edited April 2020

Broscience said: Their VPS and servers and are top-end, but this will not make up for the fact that in order to become part of the Hetzner family you need to go through all stages of pain and humiliation and even when you become a part of their family you still go through the pain and humilation:

Never noticed this, not for my own account (which is a good 12 years old) but not for a recently created account for a friend of mine either. Account was created within 2 minutes, the VPS was live within 5 minutes...

So there's probably something else going on. Registered with fake information or through a VPN?

As for point 4 and 5: you shouldn't abuse their services. Simple. I'd rather go for any provider who has this kind of terms than any provider that turns a blind eye to abuse.

Thanked by 2Falzo Hetzner_OL
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2020

@Broscience said:
    Their VPS and servers and are top-end, but this will not make up for the fact that in order to become part of the Hetzner family you need to go through all stages of pain and humiliation and even when you become a part of their family you still go through the pain and humilation:
    1. You need to proof that you're a human being and have 2 legs and 2 hands
    2. You need to proof that your ID is yours
    3. Even if you're a human being and your ID is yours they can just easily reject you or ban
    4. If you forget to disable VPN and your kid just download something using torrents, you will be kicked from the Hetzner family
    5. Even if you're doing everything good and nice you can be kicked from the family and they even don't have to explain why (read their TOS).
    In other words, they look at you as a lord looks at his serfs

While you guys support (especially support by money) this attitude to you nothing will change. Yeah, Hetzner is a top provider, cuz they give you really nice servers for nice money, but those 5 points... If they only change it...
    As for me, I have 3 VPSes from 2 top providers, no one asked me about proofing I'm a human being or proofing my ID (even thou I always put there my ID cuz if you even forgot your password or someone steals your password you need to give your ID to regain access) and they're always in touch. I open a ticket and after 5-10 minutes they repsond. If I'm not satisfied with something, they give me options. I'm sure that their VPSes are a little bid worse than Hetzners, but their attitude is on top and that's why I will never leavy them for Hetzner. Moreover, I believe that we should support small business, small prodivers. Don't be angry, I just expressed my opinion.

So, they are taking steps to prevent abuse. Nice! You know, you don't have to use them OP. And if your "kid" gets access to your Hetzner and dls smth you definitely are responsible.

• SkuraSkura Member

@Hetzner_OL We need you At the middle east :)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Skura said:

They can serve you from the EU 🤣

Thanked by 2ViridWeb DarkCarnage
  • SkuraSkura Member

@thedp said:

@Skura said:

They can serve you from the EU 🤣

:'(

• pbxpbx Member

jlay said: That's why I use them so much and deal with ~150ms of latency

That's something I have been curious about: how is Hetzner for US users? The network is good enough?

ratherbak3d said: As a customer looking for something in the USA, there are many Hetzner like options already available locally there.

Which ones would you recommend (no one man show - no WHMCS + Solus crap - decent network)?

• @pbx said:

jlay said: That's why I use them so much and deal with ~150ms of latency

That's something I have been curious about: how is Hetzner for US users? The network is good enough?

ratherbak3d said: As a customer looking for something in the USA, there are many Hetzner like options already available locally there.

Which ones would you recommend (no one man show - no WHMCS + Solus crap - decent network)?

Regarding the second part: OVH (in BHS), VirMach, RamNode, HostHatch, SmartHost, ReliableSite, Hivelocity, QuadraNet, AnyNode and QuickPacket. Apologies if I missed anybody.

Thanked by 1pbx